An Aussie settling down in Indonesia

Hello there ,

It was my long awaited dream and plan to settle in indonesia. I have loved Indonesian people, its  weather, and culture. I finally was able to set foot in Jakarta now planning to find a nice beach/shore house, in a semi city/semi rural town. I was thinking of Pangandaran / Lombok /Medan. I haven't decided yet. It will all depend on finding my future partner.

I do online teaching, soon would like to teach and open an English class.

Glad to be here and would like to hear from others with similar interests.

Hi, and welcome

Teaching is going to require a work permit or a lot of other paperwork if you open a course. The latter will make life hard work. The former is quite easy at the moment as a lot of expats did a runner when covid flew in, and never came back.

If working in a school (Or even working for a lower salary in language mills) is of interested, start applying to international schools immediately - There may be a rush next year so work on your advantage of being part of a difficult to find group.

Partners - Assuming you're white and don't look too much like Quasimodo, you'll have a queue of women after you - In some clubs, men as well if you're inclined that way.

However, watch out for gold diggers - They mostly hang around in bars but not always.

The smaller the town, the less likely you are to find work.

The more of a social life outside crappy bars you have, the greater the chances of finding a nice lady (or whatever).

The more you visit bars, the more chance you have of visiting STD clinics and loosing loads of money.

@Fred lol thanks a lot for the advise. I know city life and how the people r hungry for $$$

Zoo not wishing to contradict Fred on this as he has effectively adopted the country as his own but his comments about bars are, at least from my experience, a generalisation.

Unlike the Philippines not all bars are stuffed with hookers. I've gone on record several times stating that Jakarta is a 'breath of fresh air' compared to the sterile city of Manila. Yes it has pollution but lots of green spaces with tree lined streets. There are some excellent after work bars like Loewys in Mega Kuningan (my favourite bar in Asia - and I've been around) Face Bar in Menteng- popular with foreign journalists. You will meet lots of 'normal' English speaking ladies who are an intellectual delight to schmooze with compared to their Manilian counterparts.

Mingle Mingle Mingle ;)

It appears many schools are having serious problems finding native speakers of English to teach the language and other subjects.

One school I know of has asked me three times about   a Cambridge Global Perspectives teacher for SMP and SMA. That's likely to be a difficult job to fill as the skill set is a bit of a devil (a good teacher will have to be up on world events), but it shows the issue schools are still having.

As far as the OP goes, it's pretty good news as short supply means a far better chance of finding well paid work.