Opening a Bank account

Hello everyone,

Iam planning to put in my application for Bulgaria. Iam being told by the embassy that I need to have a bank account with funds in it prior to moving there, which is making no sense to me.

I have spoken to some banks and they are NOT willing to open an account from overseas.

My question is:

1) Is it a possibility of opening an account by proxy i.e thru a lawyer

2) if I were to come by in a tourist visa would it be possible to open an account at a bank.

Can anyone advise me on this?

For non Eu citizens it is very difficult.  EU citizen have a right to get but it is still no easy. My wife has Swiss passport and i have german and Swiss. CCB gave me a acount because i insisted on EU rights and i have german passport, but refused joined acccount or account for her.

@Taaliak

It does make sense, as it's often mentioned as a requirement. However, my understanding was that they had some flexibility, and could accept funds in a foreign account instead.

If this is the Embassy where you're making your application, and they insist on a Bulgarian account, then there isn't much option but to come here and try to open one. However, if you're in contact with them already, then try pushing back on their request, based on the difficulties of opening a personal bank account here in 2023 as a non-resident. And clarify if it must be a personal account, or if a company account (for a Bulgarian company that you own) would be acceptable.

A personal account must be opened in person, you definitely can't do it remotely, and you can't do it by proxy (attorney, etc.). When I came here, several banks were happy to open accounts just with my passport. But these days, the EU has tightened up on banks ignoring KYC/AML requirements, so most Bulgarian banks are reluctant to open accounts if you're not already a Bulgarian resident (and want a proof of address). I think some still do (maybe Postbank?), but it will just be a process of coming here as a tourist, and spending a day or two walking around town (Sofia or Plovdiv, most likely) and trying every bank branch you see. It's a headache, but I'd expect you to be successful. I've done something similar in Spain and Turkey, and it's a bit annoying (and a lot of walking), but we found a cooperative branch on the 1st day in Spain, and 2nd day in Turkey (with an introduction from a local with an account at the branch).

If you come over on Mission Bank Account then you can make the most of your trip by seeing an immigration attorney (if you're considering one), viewing some different parts of the country and/or potential properties, get a health insurance policy (one of the D visa requirements, and very easy/quick/cheap to get here), maybe finding a cheap rental (the visa also needs a proof of address, normally a long-term rental contract or the notary act of a purchased property).

A company account is a different story. And, if you plan, as a non-EU citizen, to purchase a village house, you will need one anyway. You should be able to give an attorney POA to open a Bulgarian company, and open the bank account for it (and get an official statement after you've put some money in the account).

Thank you, for your help. I will keep this in mind.

Hi Taaliak, we also had the same problem before our application. Don't worry, you are not alone… yes we couldn't and still can't understand the logic of this requirement (opening a bank account before becoming a resident).

That being said, we sorted out by hiring a lawyer (or you can just do it with a translator) with whom we went to the biggest branch of Unicredit Bulbank in Sofia. Presented my pension letter from UK, one of my UK bank statement (showing that there is some money), house deed in Bulgaria and passport. Signed many documents then it was done. Waited a week or so for their decision, and another week for receiving the card.

Not sure where you will stay whilst sorting this out, but banks in Sofia/Varna/Plovdiv seem to be more experienced in this regard. We have heard successful stories of Unicredit Bulbank, DSK and Postbank, also some branches are more friendly to foreigners than other branches, do your research in some Facebook groups before bank hunting, it may save you some time and effort! Hope our experience helps a little.

@tutisservis

Thank you for the information.

To open an account according to financial law, you have to show proof of residence.

In my case unless move there, it isn't possible Todo so, since if I do visit it will be on a tourist visa and therefore not have a permemant residence status. Is there any lawyer in particular that you could recommend that helped you out with this process.

@Taaliak we haven't studied the financial law in Bulgaria to be honest. Like I mentioned, I opened the bank account before application for D visa. I travelled with my wife to Sofia for two weeks, both on tourist visa. So it is possible and it can be done before one became resident… apparently…

For whatever ground you apply D visa or residency, you will have to show either rental agreement or your own property deed, so use that for opening bank as well.

Sorry that we can't refer a lawyer for this purpose. You can literally go with a good translator, and it will cost less than a lawyer.

@tutisservis

Hi sorry to bother you,

Could you please let me know the address of the bank you went to, to open the account?

Hi Taaliak :

If you are considering a retirement visa, I suggest to you to check if your pension would be enough.

I think it has to be at least 6 months of the average salary in Bulgaria.

Also look into inflation correction for your pension. Inflation right now is high in Bulgaria, as in

all of Europe as well, but I think it is forecasted to come down in 2023. I have seen posted that

public pensions ( I guess in USA ) are corrected for inflation, I think every year.

And I agree with tutisservis last post on this thread on the banking account.

Good luck.

RalphNord.

Sorry, correction :

You need to have deposited in an Bulgaria bank account the equivalent of 6 months average salary in Bulgaria.

RalphNord.

@RalphNord

Thank you?

@RalphNord  I meant thank you very much for your reply!

@Taaliak to open a bank account you will need.

Visa status

An address in your name

Lichna karta..for business.

I went with Bulbank in Burgas but use the one where i live in Pomorie.

@Taaliak don't know if I am allowed to post a google map link here, so I will just give the  address…

пл. „Света Неделя“ 7, 1000 София център, София

It is next to the metro station Serdika. Huge building. You won't miss it.

@tutisservis thank you