`

All Philippine photographs welcome.

To start, here are some older photos.

To see them better, simply "right-click"

one, and click "Open image in new tab"

X8mxysP.jpg

LOaojaR.jpg

@PalawOne

Thank you for sharing PalawOne. Great photos. The 2nd photo illustrates to some extent why Manila had the moniker 'the Paris of Asia" in the sixties. Women in particular were very stylish dressers (and in some instances still are today.) Note the Bouffant hairstyles. Occasionally I see Filipina's with short hair and it really suits them.

Fond memories of my favourite Manila radio commercial that got played on the now defunct smooth Jazz station Crossover 105.8 FM " Salon de Manila" Class.

`

Yes agree Lotus, and no worries.

What you write is very true mate .. everyone demonstrates an attractive 'Je ne sais quoi' style in both photos.

And to go further, there's certainly an 'esprit de corps' pride and mutual loyalty shared by the citizens in these photos. Really wish t'was same. Of course perhaps indeed there is still a shared purpose, but it's just, different?

Cheers Lotus

PalawOne

`

Manila has probably never before, or since, looked as tidy?

581yRxG.jpg

It's 1949, and notice Supermen for sale on the top right shelf?

HwbexNM.jpg

Baseball Team 1920 - 1930  Tondo School, Manila Philippines

wIh0Zec.jpg

Escolta Street  Manila, Philippines 1959 - 1961

ZKs2DG6.jpg

@PalawOne Some photos I took in 2007

dkfLJh.jpg

I like reading books and watching documentaries on the World Wars so this was a must see. We were in Manila for her interview when I took this photo.

dkfkjr.jpg

Jeepneys are amazing works of art. I have a folder just for Jeepney photos. Now days there aren't that many in this area and the ones that are still on the road are beat. These are Leyte Jeepneys.

dkfqBa.jpg

Fishing boat in Leyte Gulf just off the beach where my soon to be wife lived. The boats would motor out into the ocean at dusk and somehow suspend a net from the bamboo poles. A generator was used to power the lights on the bow that would attract the fish. The net would be pulled at midnight and 6am. Many locals would meet the boats on the beach as they came in to buy some really fresh fish. That style of fishing is no longer legal so some of the boats have been repurposed but I was there about a year ago and saw several rotting away on the shore.

dkfAuX.jpg

Imelda's beach house. It is a short walk down the beach from where my wife lived. It sits between two hills of solid rock. A statue of Jesus looking down on the property is on one hill and I noticed a heavy door on the side of the other hill. Looks like something very secure was carved into the rock. Everything is in ruins now, Yolanda flattened everything and even broke up the pool.

dkXgoX.jpg

Imelda's beach house in the above picture is between these two hills. From a distance they look identical. You can see the statue of Jesus on top of the furthest hill. The heavy door I mentioned is on the side of the nearest hill facing the other hill.

dkXe0N.jpg

I found the photo of the door in the solid rock hill in time to include it.

These are all great photos of interesting Philippine culture

Cheers mate

PalawOne 

Lovely photos. Yes, it was really the gem of Southeast Asia in the 60's and 70's. In the sixties the population was 25M, but it has more than quadrupled since then to 110M. No wonder the cities and infrastructure seem so worn down these days - they have taken a beating, and not received an appropriate level of reinvestment.

Thanks for the great images.

Agree completely with you pnwcyclist and thanks.

I've heard said that the Philippines was the second richest country

in Asia in their 1955-1975 gem-stone period, second only to Japan.

Cheers mate,

PalawOne

The cars in the top photo surprised me. I see a '57 Chevy base model (150) and a '56 Chevy wagon. On the left looks like the top of a '61 Chevy. The Mustang dates the picture to at least 1965. Really cool cars back then!

I believe the blue car in the 3rd photo is a Vauxhall and there is a '58 Chevy on the right.

`

Beautiful people .. everyone .. have a close-up peek ..

To view properly, "right-click" a photo and click, "Open image in new tab"

IBX6ZTI.png

And here's Professor Niece and Graduate Class of 2022

All beautiful people ..

8EkSVwo.jpg

@PalawOne

A kaleidoscope of colour

@Lotus Eater

.. and a bevy of brains and beauty 1f60c.svg

MacArthur's return at Palo, Leyte. The photo was the basis for the statues. Yolanda sand blasted some of the paint off the statues and knocked down one statue but it was quickly repaired.

d02gkC.jpg

`

Upclose Philippine beach sand ..

Kzvr9QO.jpg

And company ..

EDi8ssP.jpg

`

Front page of the Philippine Tribune newspaper, with the fall of Bataan. 24th April 1942

0Z9cJ9X.jpg

Intramuros, Manilla 1945

1iIatpt.jpg

`

Inside a US C-46 aircraft of the 5th Air Force conducting an aerial evacuation of wounded American troops from Manila Philippines shortly after US forces retook the city from the Japanese in 1945 .

UdTp8RZ.jpg

An injured serviceman feeds another injured sailor that has been pressure bandaged after suffering burns when the USS Solace was hit by a kamikaze attack. Photograph taken aboard the USS Solace in May 1945

chbkEEJ.jpg

Inside a US C-46 aircraft of the 5th Air Force conducting an aerial evacuation of wounded American troops from Manila Philippines shortly after US forces retook the city from the Japanese in 1945 .

If my history serves me correct I recall that the recapture of Manila was one of the bloodiest battles in the entire Asia/Pacific region. The city was effectively flattened.

Virtually every time I fly into Ninoy Aquino the aircraft will bank over the US Forces cemetery in Taguig which always engages a pensive moment for all those lives lost.

@PalawOne

Very nice!

I would be happy to share mine from a very large catalog i had collated of my own; which started way back in my wanna-be blogger days when i first visited the Philippines prior to moving here in 2013, wherein i felt compelled to try to photograph every inch of Urban Manila living.

I just hope no one turns this thread into a cheap channel of exploiting bar girls and the creatures of night life from Angeles or other such places.

I really don't want to see that sort of thing here.

let us keep this thread wholesome!

Photos of the aftermath of Yolanda.

dQhJOg.jpg

I took the left photo 8 months after Yolanda. The photo on the right is more recent. The ship is now a memorial and and 1 of 10 commercial ships blown inland by the storm in Tacloban, only 1 has been removed. The caption under the right photo said the gusts were 375 mph, but I'm sure it should be kph.

dQhMYR.jpg

The left photo is a mass grave memorial in Tanauan, Leyte. That is where my wife was living when I met her. There are more than 200 people in that mass grave. The photo on the right is a mass grave memorial in Basper, Tacloban where more than 2,000 are buried. The crosses are blank but some people wrote names on a cross.

My wife's family lived on a beach in Bislig, Tanauan, Leyte at the time of the storm. I was going to buy a 2 story hollow block house back from the beach a ways in Bislig proper. The house was vacant and the owner allowed  the family to shelter in the house. When the storm hit the storm surge was ankle deep on the second floor. The doors, windows and roof were blown off so they covered the kids with plastic and 30 people waited out the storm for 5 hours. My wife had no idea what happened to her family and for a week she received no word. Then the phone rang and she was screaming hysterically, I'm thinking this could go either way. Turns out it was tears of joy, her younger brother traveled all the way to Ormoc to get a signal and call his sister to report everyone was OK.

`

A loss felt worldwide ..

VZcuGrH.png

A recent Oxfam report ..

oZ7VoIs.png

`

`

The majority of Palawan people living in Dumaran are farmers and fisherfolk

aVRLTHs.jpg

And enjoy with local rice, fruit and vegies, your seafood catch & collect ..

GVj4Yzh.jpg

mrc6lA7.jpg

`

Delete this post please

`

And more daily catches ..

CuThAj4.jpg

WNTwRnn.jpg

@PalawOne Just a thought: go to www.google.com/images and enter Philippines in the search bar. You can refine the search by adding other keywords (culture, historical, food, etc.)

`

Thanks for the great idea Rcvining. Spent all afternoon browsing the photos 1f642.svg

Will just complete this series on "sea-food for supper" with two more normal

Palawan daily catches. Incredible variety, all super fresh, and waiting ready to

jump into your sizzling hot and saucy stir-fry, or else simply into boiling water.   

Altogether, imo very tasty and healthy diets, and a great lifestyle? Cheers folks.

cbVTIdO.jpg

xsEaWmw.jpg

`

`

xsEaWmw.jpg

`

Jollibee Poster 1984

aQbHQZD.jpg

CHOCO-VIM

kEYDvyQ.jpg

`

`

Maybe .. pinakamahusay na kagustuhan

U7mCvpO.jpg

RYJBlOf.png

`

@PalawOne Seafood1f60b.svg

`

These two images were gathered from usually reliable sources,

however they might appear perhaps incomplete/controversial?

Traditional Philippine Tribal Ranges:

vXjDTUv.png

WDrWzRF.jpg

`

`

Emilio Aguinaldo 1869-1964

First President of the Philippines 1899

Emilio Aguinaldo y Famy was born into the local elite of Cavite on the Island of Luzon in the Philippines. His father had been mayor of Kawit (Cavite viejo) at the time of his death in 1878, a post Aguinaldo himself would hold in 1895.

That same year Aguinaldo joined with the secret, nationalist brotherhood Katipunan founded by Andrés Bonifacio. When the Philippines erupted in general revolt against the Spaniards in 1896 (after 400 years), Aguinaldo won victories against the Spanish in Cavite Province.

Katipunan forces retreated into the mountains in the face of Spanish attacks. Ultimately he entered into an accord with the Spaniards, agreeing to exile in Hong Kong in exchange for 400,000 pesos. Soon after his arrival there, Aguinaldo purchased the weapons his troops would require to continue the struggle.

After the U.S. declared war on Spain, Aguinaldo saw a possibility that the Philippines might achieve its independence; the U.S. hoped instead that Aguinaldo would lend his troops to its effort against Spain.

He returned to Manila on May 19, 1898 and declared Philippine Independence on June 12, 1898.

When it became clear that the United States had no interest in the liberation of the islands, Aguinaldo's forces remained apart from U.S. troops.

On January 1, 1899 following the meetings of a constitutional convention, Aguinaldo was proclaimed president of the Philippine Republic.

u9BobL6.jpg

Emilio Aguinaldo, First President of the Philippines 1899

Not surprisingly, the United States refused to recognize Aguinaldo's authority and on February 4, 1899 he declared war on the U.S. forces in the islands. After his capture on March 23, 1901, Aguinaldo agreed to swear allegiance to the United States, and then left public life. His dream of Philippine independence came true on July 4, 1946. He died in Manila in 1964.

Espana Bridge across the River Pasig, Manila 1899

CuCv4mr.png

Ref: https://loc.gov/rr/hispanic/1898/aguinaldo.html

`

Manila: Air-conditioners for the twin SMDC Shore Residential Buildings

r11xxdY.png

And somewhere in Manila ..

31mD7z5.jpg

`

A beautiful country ..

Q3wAYz6.jpg

With beautiful people, without a camera, and genuine happiness

hh8puXL.jpg

`

`

Island girl .. waiting for you

bxnXSZ9.jpg

OLVQmPI.jpg

`

`

Seafoods ..

gXAMPXw.png

`

Comparing the amount of air and water there is on earth ..

6ZkZAOg.jpg

Inside a US C-46 aircraft of the 5th Air Force conducting an aerial evacuation of wounded American troops from Manila Philippines shortly after US forces retook the city from the Japanese in 1945 .If my history serves me correct I recall that the recapture of Manila was one of the bloodiest battles in the entire Asia/Pacific region. The city was effectively flattened. Virtually every time I fly into Ninoy Aquino the aircraft will bank over the US Forces cemetery in Taguig which always engages a pensive moment for all those lives lost. -@Lotus EaterRegarding US & Filipino soldiers during WW2, check about Mount Samat National Shrine and Death March.Corregidor Island is nice to visit to learn about the last stand of Bataan. i.e. mile long prison, artillery batteries, hospital under a mountain, eternal flame, etc. I think it can be reached from Cavite by ferry.I have not learned how to post pictures here but a good one is a photo of Gen. Douglas MacArthur on the shore in Leyte when he returned.https://historydaily.org/i-shall-return-general-macarthurs-promise/2

`

"Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight

Do not go gentle into that good night ..

Old age should burn and rage at close of day

Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

e7FBoeK.jpg

`

hYbOFXq.jpg

`

`

Baudv8h.png

ikZUdCw.png

@PalawOne These are amazing photos. Good eye!!!