New members of the Brazil forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Hi all,

Newbie on the Brazil forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Brazil if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi everyone! I've lived in Brazil now for two years (Belo Horizonte, MG) and previously lived here (also BH) for an even longer stint. Nice to meet you all!

01/13/23 @Jeff_D.  Welcome! BH is one of my favorite cities.

Hi All, my name is Jimmy. I live in Florianopolis and have been here for almost 8 years. It's an amazing place to live. I wouldn't change it for anywhere else.

01/13/23  @jimmy rocks.  Hi, Jimmy, you're certainly welcome here, and so is your expertise.  After eight years in Floripa, you certainly must know the ropes.

In terms of housekeeping, solicitations for business are welcome in our Services Section, see above.

For further details, you can find our Code of Conduct here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=164702

Again, welcome!

Hello All,

Like others fell in Live with Brazil way of life and of course the people,  My fiancé is from Rio, although living now in Sa Paulo, she is a Professor with Sec.of education.  We spent xmas in Porto Seguro , loved the place  , anyway last march i went to San Francisco ca clerks office and got a certified copy of my birth certificate, past Marriage license, record of status,  and went to get my divorce e decree only to find all it was is a copy of the original i already had,  also had to get some mortgage etc address residency proof notarized locally, ok then had everything apostilled, scanned it all to my fiance who had everything translated in Foz do Iguacu whete she was living at the  time. All good, so i flew down to go to the civil registry but after we thought about the whole process , we decided to put it off until she was back working , just frustrating to wait wait wait,  now we put together a file and petition to send off for the I-129 f  fiancé  visa thinking this would be easier and quicker, but not. After researching the timelines and

Reading about how even if she gets the visa it is up to the inspector at the entry point of us that can deny anyway.  Amongst the  15.5 month wait as of 2023 to even process. So again we will go ahead with our original planes to Marry in Brazil.

all this said my concern is

i know i have to have all my documents re apostilled and realize my proof of residency and my record of status will need to be re done because or the six month rule,  but my certified birth certificate, old Certified Marriage license and my original certified divorce decree  i am confused about some say i need to pay for new copies which is stupid because the first time around getting all this translated they used my original divorce decree at the registry in Foz and translated everything.   So before i go down to San Francisco again and pay for copies of my record of status I want be very sure that i can use my existing copies of the other documents described above and have apostilled to use at the registry in Brazil.    Thanks , any real up to date answers will be much appreciated, Obrigato. Danny

01/17/23 @danieldemitris. Welcome, Danny, and congratulations!   Sounds like you're in pretty good shape.  You already had some answers last night, and more are on the way. 👍

01/17/23 @onida.  Welcome, Onida!  If you're a US citizen with a valid passport, you can visit Brazil for up to 90 days without needing to obtain a visa in advance.

Ola everyone. Tudu ben!

My name is Felix and I joined the forum back in 2015 when I never imagined I'd become a permanent resident of Brazil although I currently work full-time in Nigeria for now. My story is an interesting one, as my now Brazilian wife, Ligia and I met in the UK while she was doing her Ph.D. research at the University of Nottingham, where I was doing an MSc at the time. Since she's in a sandwich program as a PhD student at the University of Sao Paulo, she had to go back to Brazil in late 2013 to finish up her PhD, while I returned to Nigeria after my own graduation. So the chances of us being together were veeeeeery slim as her PhD; being from 2 different continents with a language and cultural divide, it wasn't easy getting both families across the Atlantic to align with our romantic dreams.

Her PhD stretched for additional 2 years as she's scheduled to wrap up by 2014, but the research project stretched so she finally graduated in 2016, and we're to part ways amicably but decided to still give the relationship a chance. Based in Abuja, the capital of Nigeria, I applied for Brazilian visa in late 2016 but my passport was witheld by the Brazilian Consulate in Lagos for over 5 months and I'd to send an official protest to the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs before my visa was approved by May 2017 even though I submitted my visa application in December 2016.

I eventually visited Brazil the first time in August 2017 to see my girlfriend who by then had started work as an Assistant Professor and Lecturer at a Federal University within Greater Sao Paulo; so the chances grew dim as I also started a new job with a US non-profit in Abuja as I'm a public health and development expert.

She came visiting with her dad to Nigeria the first time in 2018 and I took them around to see close friends and my extended family members who really loved her; but moving forward wasn't easy as getting the documentation for the wedding from the Brazilian Consulate in Nigeria was tough. They had the suspicion that it probably was an 'arranged marriage' so unduly delayed the process by unnecessary red-tape. I almost gave up but decided to hold on as my girlfriend didn't give up either.

We finally got all the required documentation in early 2020 and fixed our wedding in late March 2020; but COVID-19 hit the world and scattered our plans. We're able to move our white wedding to December 2020 and it was a beautiful ceremony with close family and friends at a venue in Sao Paulo.

Because of the cultural ties between Nigeria (in West Africa) and Afro-Brazilians, my wife thoughtfully chose Bahia for our honey moon, and it's amazing. The weather in Bahia is similar to ours in West Africa, and the food and music too. The popular acaraje is actually a street snack in Nigeria and its original name in Yoruba is 'akara' while 'je' in Yoruba is 'to eat or edible'; so acaraje is 'edible akara'.

The Yoruba influence in Brazil is very pronouced in the Afro-derived religion especially Candomblé and Umbanda; Yamoja, orisha are Yoruba godesses and the chants used in Candomble are done n Yoruba. It was fascinating to me as most Brazilians don't know how closely tied they're with Africa, especially Nigeria. I felt so at home at Salvador during our honeymoon and I'd be sure to visit the Northeast of Brazil over and again.

We currently have a home in both Abuja and Sao Paulo and we shuttle between Nigeria and Brazil; making the best of both countries as my wife has Nigerian permanent residency while I'm a permanent resident of Brazil too. We have a son who'd be 1 year by late April in Santo Andre-SP, and we'll be celebrating his birthday in Sao Paulo; so would be sure to let the house know!

I sure would like to spend more time in Brazil and possibly work as a public health and development expert like I'm currently doing. You can check out a short documentary where we shared our love story on YouTube

[link moderated]

The point of this long piece is that LOVE WINS and can serve as a bridge across cultures; today I'm an important member of Ligia's extended family and vice versa!

Cheers,

Felix

Abuja/SantoAndre

?fbid=10159599500954822&set=a.4285799998

01/25/23 @Felizo.  Welcome, Felix -- what a wonderful story!  All the best to you.

Hello Felizo,

What an inspiring love story!1f60e.svg

Love indeed knows no boundaries.

Wish you all the best for the future!

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Hey Felizo,

It reminds me of my own story, my husband being a Nigerian.

I wish you both the best. 1f60d.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hello Kevin here, new and planning on retiring to Sao Paulo in the coming months from the US. Main question is once I purchase expat health insurance here, how long before I can purchase a much cheaper one there? I'm reading and researching various answers. Is it once i get a certain ( i forget the letters) card from the police which sounded very quick? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Regards !!!

01/30/23.  Welcome, Kevin!  You should be able to purchase private health insurance in Brazil as soon as you have your CRNM, your ID card from the Federal Police.  Please see this thread for some thoughts on purchasing private insurance:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 82#5558939

And feel free to post additional questions to that thread.  It's still live, and this is a very popular topic.  All the best as your plans come together.

Hello Kevin here, new and planning on retiring to Sao Paulo in the coming months from the US. Main question is once I purchase expat health insurance here, how long before I can purchase a much cheaper one there? I'm reading and researching various answers. Is it once i get a certain ( i forget the letters) card from the police which sounded very quick? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Regards !!!
-@schuett17

Welcome Kevin. Have you been coming to Brazil already, or are you a newbie? I live part-time in downtown SP and have been going in and out of SP for fifteen years. I have bought two apartments and two different cars there You brought up a couple of questions, so I will try here to help.

Abthree will know more about your paperwork time frame for retirement visas and will give you the best advice on this website. My own VITEM XI, Family Reunion Visas was fast and easy. If I can help, please ask, or PM me.

For health insurance, try "Prevent Senior", we have it for my mother-in-law in SP and it has been wonderful and not expensive. You will have to ask them about who and when you would be eligible.

Good morning.  I am curious if anyone in this group lives in Belém Pará Brazil? Thanks and bless you

02/03/23 @dol5714.  Welcome! 

Hi Expats,

I would like to connect with expats living in Brazil.

I will be moving soon to Americana in Sao Paulo. I'm originally from Argentina. I've been living abroad a couple of years and now trying my luck in Brazil!

There seem to be a number of Expats in Sao Paulo.  Ask a Sao Paulo question and get the ball rolling. Ie.

• What is the weather like?
  • Do you need a car for transportation?
  • Are there work opportunities?
  • What do you do for fun in SP?
  • Are there extra educational opportunities there?
  • What is your favorite Brazilian Restaurant and why?
  • How long have you lived in SP and how long was it before you felt like home?

Good Luck,

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Hello martinsan,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

You should definitely follow roddiesho's advice and feel free to start a new thread on the Sao Paulo forum.

The forum is quite active, so it will be easy for you to gather information.

I also invite you to read the Living in Brazil guide for expats.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Hi everyone,

I'm Mike and living in America.  My fiancé lives in Brasilia.  I'm looking forward to get married with her and possibly to live in Brasilia. 

I hope this forum will help me to find some information for Brazil.

Blessings!

@deafmgecko Welcome! You can find lots of information and good advice here.

03/05/23 Welcome, deafmgecko!  Congratulations on your upcoming marriage, and your move to Brazil.

Hello,

My other half was transferred to her native Brazil over a year ago and after I have flown there now 9 times in the past 12 months I have decided to retire and move there. I love it there and cannot wait to finalize the process from the US to Brazil.

03/15/23 @schuett17.  Welcome, and congratulations on your plans!  Best of luck with your move.  If we can answer your questions, we'll do our best.

@abthree Hi and thank for the reply, I posted a question on the forum regarding the process if you get a chance to look and give any advice or info. Regards !!!

Hey, I'm moving to São Paulo for 4 months and would love to make friends. I'm 41, with 2 young girls but I have in laws who can watch them. I enjoy shopping, exploring, walks, coffee shops

03/20/23  @nativelana.  Welcome!  Good luck with your new life in Brazil.  If you have any questions as you get settled, we'll try to answer them.

Bom dia, I hope you guys are doing well. Currently, I am planning a three-month stay (work-related) with my family (2 kids) in Belo Horizonte. I assume, that we will be there by the end of next month. Is some here in the community, who is also from BH?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Mayu

03/21/23 Welcome, Mayu!  Enjoy Belo Horizonte,  it's a wonderful city.

Thank you Abthree! We are all very excited 😊.

Hi everybody!

I just found out about this site!

My name is Kitty, and I've been living in Bahia for 11 years, mostly in Salvador. I'm a mom to a 13yr old girl, and I work in real estate. I have a channel on Salvador and RE if you're interested!

🏝️🏖️

03/22/23 @Kitty Faria.  Nice to have you aboard!  Bahia's a popular place that inspires its share of questions, and I know that your insights will be welcome.

@abthree thanks!!!

@Kitty Faria I thought I posted the link to my channel!

the name of it is ‘So You Wanna Live in Bahia' (YouTube)

@Julien Any members of AA that speak English?

03/29/23 @trentbates52.  Welcome!  I don't recall the subject ever coming up before.  You may want to start a thread on it.

-@schuett17

Not long afterwards.  There will be s plenty eager salespeople trying to sign you up for an insurance plan.

Best in the Country, at least in Sao Paulo , is Sul America.   So I've been told. It's pricey thought..

Also Prevent Senior , I've been told to be a good one.  it tends to be more affordable, no age restrictions. The only catch with them, you have to use their own Hospital Chain ( Sancta Maggiore ).  I recall to be told monthly premiums were about R$ 2,500 per couple.

-@schuett17

Also....

Depending upon where you will settle, the bare minimum out of pocket health costs can be zero. 

The quality and range of services will vary by municipality.  Some towns suplement the Federal Health Free Plan , SUS, with some of their own resources. 

In Sao Paulo's State, I would dare say you would get your best in terms of availability and care from

Santo Andre

Sao Caetano

Sao Bernardo do Campo

Sao Jose dos Campos

Ribeirao Preto

Campinas

Indaiatuba

Taubate

Just to exemplify, Santo Andre, a lot of diagnostic tests can be subsidized by a non profit Clinic funded by the Lions Club ( or Rotary, not sure ). The city has its own public hospital, infirmaries, and community health centers. 

The State run Hospital Mario Covas is a dream on the upgrade list, and between the community health centers and Mario Cova's Pharmacy, a lot of meds can be picked up for free.   Stuff that cost my late father about USD 500 a month in 2012, here, with an hour on the queue, Zero cost.   

Hi everyone,
I'm Mike and living in America. My fiancé lives in Brasilia. I'm looking forward to get married with her and possibly to live in Brasilia.

I hope this forum will help me to find some information for Brazil.

Blessings!
-@deafmgecko

Brazilia is flat and you will need a car to get anywhere.  Good to be there if you work in Government.  I would suggest Goiania, at least you will be living in a city with a better vibe. 

Closed