Beware of Scammers

Just a quick note to warn any of the members advertising on this website to be wary of any interested party claiming to want to buy your product. I was contacted via WhatsApp by an individual wishing to buy an item of furniture as a "present for someone else" and offering payment in full as well as offering to collect the product by "messenger". I followed the thread up to the point of being presented a phony web-site pretending to be of the Spanish Post Office (Correos) and offering full payment to my credit card. They asked for my cc details including the CSV code!  I guess after filling the requested details, my card would be debited (not credited!) and they would then disappear. So be on the look-out for any suspicious enquiries via WhatsApp (The contact claimed he was in Toledo but had a Romanian tel. #).

May I also take the liberty of wishing everyone the compliments of the season and a very happy and safe 2023!

@Metcomm

they asked for my credit card information. Including my PIN number!!  Acting as CORREOS.

Be careful..

Just a quick note to warn any of the members advertising on this website
-@Metcomm

It should read "On the internet'

The various expat.com teams are pretty hot at getting rid of scammers but some always slip through.

If you advertise in some places, Facebook comes to mind, it's a lot more dangerous.

Also, there is no way I would give my number to random strangers on the internet. I tried an experiment with a soon to expire number by putting it on  a facebook group. The number of scammers sending messages was amazing to the point that SIM card was useless. They pass databases between each other so, once one has a number and/or email address, the lot have it.

I have a partial solution.

I opened an account with a virtual bank called Jenius. It's a sub of a larger bank but has no branches and everything is done through an app.

I keep a small working balance on the account but, if the card is skimmed and the criminals get my PIN, they can only get a small sum as there is little in that account.

It also has a virtual card I use for the internet. When I buy something, I add just enough to the  virtual card to pay the bill, and no more. That can also be used on sites that save cards as hackers can have the details with no possible loss to me.

Even if a scammer got the card details they need to make transactions, there's nothing in that sub-account so they're out of luck.

Explore your local banks - they might have a similar account.

In the US you can always dispute those charges and in most cases, you are not responsible for them and only have to get a new card. Is it the same in Spain?

In the US you can always dispute those charges and in most cases, you are not responsible for them and only have to get a new card. Is it the same in Spain?
-@gdikel

It's the same in much of the world, but my way is far less worry and/or hassle as you never have to care about the possibility, so you never have to dispute anything.

@Metcomm ok