Allowed to work remotely or freelance while living in Sweden?

Hi everyone! I plan on staying in Sweden for 9-12 months next year, beginning in February. From my research, it looks like I won't be able to work with only a residence permit. (I haven't applied for it yet; I know I have to apply asap!) Does this essentially mean I'll have to quit my job (U.S.-based, remote) to go there? Are you allowed to work remotely while living in Sweden?

I do have savings but if I can still maintain some kind of income that would be ideal. It doesn't have to be full-time; even part-time or freelancing remotely would be fine. A lot of what I do is in the creative field (editing, photography, writing, all of which I love) and I'm trying to wrap my head around having to quit that for a year... Does a visa exist that allows temporary residents to at least work part-time or freelance?

Just trying to figure out what my options are. I appreciate your help.

Thank you!


Hello, bumping this since I'm in the same situation. Me and my wife (right now living in South America) are moving to Sweden in a couple of weeks and we have some doubts. My wife has signed with a swedish company, they take care of the relocation and all of that stuff. We both have work and residence permits and the company has already rented a place for us to stay for the first months.

With that being said, I have a concern about my work situation (I work remotely for a South American company). Should I quit my current job and start looking for one while in Sweden just to not have problem with the taxes? If I'm still employed at the time of the relocation, should I say that I'm still employed to the migration officers/customs at the airport?

@expatfromlatam You are receiving your residence permit as dependent to your wife as she is the one who has got a job in Sweden. If you want to continue working remotely (given your employer allows it), it should be possible.

Regarding the taxation it depends on how long you'll continue to work like that. But it should not be a problem for you to seek jobs while being here as a dependent.