D7 Visa Refusal

Hello everyone, I'm seeking some guidance and assistance. I currently reside in Dubai and I'm interested in applying for a D7 visa. As a freelancer, I don't have a passive income, but I do have more than 100,000 Euros in my bank account. I would like to know if this amount is sufficient to support a family of four. Additionally, do I need to have a bank account in Portugal, or is it acceptable to keep the funds in my UAE bank account? I would greatly appreciate any information regarding the required documents and any helpful tips for the application process. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Depending on you intended lifestyle and where in Portugal you want to live the 100,000 Euros should last for a while (I would assume 2 to maximum 4 years). You will need a bank account in Portugal, but you only need to keep enough money in it to pay for rent and utilities and the like.

Information on the Visa Process can be found in quite some detail elsewhere on expat.com.

Technically, you're required to have a year's minimum wage in the bank, in Portugal;  more if it's for more than one person.  However I understand everyone advises D7 applicants to have a lot more than that, because they may decide that you don't have the means even if you meet the official requirement.  I wouldn't guarantee €100K is even enough.

But then, we were applying after retirement.  I don't know anything about the D8 visa, but it might be worth looking into.

@donn25 Thanks for your reply I think D8 is also a good option but I think I should do more research as they ask for 4 x the monthly Portuguese minimum wage and I'm not sure if this will be calculated on me alone or it will include my family also not sure if prove of saving is enough or they need to prove of income !!

Hi Ossama.k,

Some help here:

https://www.portugalist.com/d7-savings/

There is usually a preference for periodic and steady income, not just savings. But you should find out from the Portuguese consulate that supports UAE:

https://abudhabi.embaixadaportugal.mne. … ices/visas

More information here:

Experience sharing about Visas to Portugal (D7 & others)

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=971460

Best Regards

also not sure if prove of saving is enough or they need to prove of income !!

I'm sure you do need proof of income.  The same is true of a retired applicant for a D7 visa, in this case typically pension income.  They won't be letting people in who don't have means of support and would eventually become a burden on the country.

Hi

Can any one let me know about the best immigration lawyer for D7 Visa in Portugal?

Thank you.

Regards,

Inayat Karim.

defesa.legal

Speak to JORGE FERRAZ

@prijinayana Hello Prijinayana, were you able to contact someone,  i am also planning to apply D7 ( from UAE), need some information if you already applied.

@inayatkarim3 i have the email of a company who assist, i and some people i met here worked with them

@prijinayana hi Prijinayana, can you message me if you already applied D7 from Abu Dhabi. I am preparing for D7 application from UAE. Thanks.

@Farhan Younis I also applied D7 visa for retirement purposes but they gave a time of ten days  for making the deficiency of missing documents like "Unreliable visa application documentation and/or doubts of using intended visa" Suggestions please

@shelly14 get a new advisor that understands the requirements. You need to have both income in the bank AND passive income. 1.5 times the minimum wage is an absolute minimum and if you are from other countries than the US and Canada they seem to want even more.

@hbinder36

Does this mean for a person with no passive income but had a 200 000 dollars is eligible for a D 47

@I applied D7 visa for retirement purposes but they gave a time of ten days  for making the deficiency of missing documents like "Unreliable visa application documentation and/or doubts of using intended visa" please guide me what should I do? how can obtain these 3 documents i.e. NIF number,  opening of bank account in pPortugal and 12 months lease agreement? Suggestions please

@asnizami786

Hi,

These requirements are mandatory, as you can easily realise from a simple search on the net - please use the search function in the top right-hand corner and you'll get the answers.

Regards

@asnizami786 We got our NIF via e-residence service. Paid for it because we were not in Portugal at the time and also wanted to have a hassle free experience without queing etc.

You should contact a bank in Portugal to open an account. We used Santander because they had English speaking advisors who were able to sort out our account remotely via WhatsApp. Your millage may vary on this approach.

Finally, a rental agreement... thats the tricky bit. You'll need to sign and usually pay up front with deposit for a rental agreement and then you also don't know exactly when you'll be able to use your rented property because you have to have it and be paying for it first BEFORE you do the visa application. For us, we had a signed promisary agreement to purchase a property and the visa was approved using that instead of a rental agreement, but that would also be a lot of work because you have to find a habitable property (not a ruin or "fixer upper") and then get an agreement to purchase (promisary) in place, then you'll have all the extra mortgage, taxes etc to pay to purchase the property as well. We were ok with that because we found the house we wanted and had the cash saved over the last 10 years to put down the deposit for the property (30% minimum if you are a foreigner and need a mortgage!!!), and around 10% on top of that for taxes (so assume you need 40% of the purchase price in cash to proceed to a purchase).

@JohnnyPT thanks

@Rob Evans Hi, Thank you for your detailed reply and guidance.  Please  suggest me as we have an appointment of May 2024 in Embassy of Portugal for submitting our applications of D 7 visa, how can we get NIF, Bank account in Portugal and mortgage being in Pakistan. Best Regards

@asnizami786 Most of this stuff is google work. For instance, for the bank account, you can google "open a portuguese bank account remotely". Getting a mortgage is the same, google it, or use a property / estate agent in Portugal who will be able to handle the purchase process - including getting you a mortgage. A NIF can be obtained in person in Portugal for free or by using a service like "e-residence" who will do it for you for a fee.

The bureaucratic process for a D7 visa is complex, time consuming and requires you to have a lot of money and time on your hands to do properly. I don't mean to be rude but it doesn't sound like you are prepared for the process at all. You need to do a lot of reading and prepare all your documents, NIF, rental or house purchase, proof of earnings, criminal record check etc etc all up front before you do anything else. Trust me when I say that unless you are prepared to read a lot of documentation and do the work, you will fail to get the visa. No-one on these forums can help you with things like getting you a NIF or getting you a rental or purchase (with mortgage etc). The only thing you might find easy-ish is opening a bank account, but I think you need a NIF to do that as well. If you want to get a NIF remotely, google it and there are providers such as e-residence who might be able to help you.

Other than the SEF appointment (that happens at the end of the process) the other government agencies are fairly unhelpful, are unlikely to speak English (they are Portuguese after all!) and you will queue for hours with documents only to be told that you don't have the correct one, or it needs to be in a different format etc even though you followed the guidence on their own website... at which point you have to go away and come back another day and queue for the whole day again and hope you have everything and can communicate with the staff.

Realistically, you need to make multiple trips to Portugal to physically be here to solve your problems.

@Rob Evans Hi, I am highly obliged for this guidance and help. I am very sorry as You have to work hard on this subject. Anyhow, again I am very thankful to your full co-operation for giving me a detailed and self explanatory reply. I shall try to work on these lines, if I feel some difficulty I would get more guidance please. Best Regards

@asnizami did you get approved

@ossama.k they want to see guaranteed regular income. This can be interest from your cash, as an example. It can be royalties, dividends, rental income, etc. They are not in love with JUST cash in our experience processing visas for clients. We always structure things so a client is showing active income, in addition to cash assets.