Meet other expats and have a few beers and chat

Question: How to find a good bar in Cebu, or any other island/town for that matter? As a Brit I need to find a watering hole (pub in English).  Looking for a place to go meet other expats and have a few beers and chat. 

What strategy do you use?  I want somewhere not too noisy, used by locals and expats, without being a pickup joint! I need to be able to take my partner and not feel sleezy. I have no idea where to find this Nirvana? Do micro-breweries exist in Cebu? Which island has the best bar (outside of a hotel)?

Your thoughts?

Hello SilverBirch,

Since there is a very interesting question in your post,  please note that I have created a new thread with it for more reach on the Philippines forum. 1f600.svg

Hope you find something soon.

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Thats a very good question. I'm afraid that this is an unattainable wish in the Philippines. Most bars are effectively pick up joints along with being loud and brash. Filipinos don't do the 'wine bar' experience that you get in western countries and they certainly don't do quiet.

Last time I was in Cebu I stayed at the Marco Polo on the hill with my GF. We could not find any relaxing bars with a nice ambience so often ended up in the lobby lounge bar which was using the same music feed I subscribe to in New York. 'Two Mojito's please to go with the Bossa' :)1f3b8.svg

If you like Jazz I can recommend an excellent bar called Jazz 'n Bluz on Cabahug St, Ayala Access Rd, Mabolo. There is an entrance fee but its a real experience with some very talented Filipino singers performing live on stage. No hookers. Many Filipino businessmen can be spotted with their elegant wives. I'm usually one of maybe three or four foreigners there. If you are on your own you can sit at the bar.

Just not the same as in the UK. I bet you even miss the name of the pubs. Never really seen anything similar to a British Pub in Cagayan De Oro, Tacloban or Davao, however there was a place in Davao where all the staff were dressed in cowgirl outfits and it seemed a respectable place but it  was noisy. Not sure about Cebu though.

I know I would miss a good old fashioned Pub if I were to relocate over there. Somewhere with a dart board, pool table, sport on TV and a nice quite relaxing atmosphere with decent beer. No need for the cosy fire over there though obviously.

@Cherryann01

Were you ' Lassoed ' by any of the Cowgirls ? :)

@Cherryann01
Were you ' Lassoed ' by any of the Cowgirls ? smile.png
-@Lotus Eater

If I am not careful with my reply, you will be turning this into the DOMINATRIX discussion again1f923.svg But the answer is No.,

But to answer the question, there are a few results coming up on google search for Micro Breweries in Cebu. One is called 'Turning Wheels Craft Brewery'. Their website does seem to show a much wider selection of craft beers and they do mention that there is food available inside from Sal's Kitchen. It is listed as a bar. I am sure there are similar places and maybe a pub crawl or two may lead to you finding a favourite establishment, one that your missus and you will both like. That way you can have some fun finding a decent place.

One more thought and I know it is a long shot. A few beer enthusiasts back here in the UK build a small bar in their back garden and invite friends round for drinks. My mate had one, complete with draught beers, dart board and pool table. Maybe, just maybe there is an Ex Pat over there who decided to build one. Beers just charged for a small donation, no fixed price but the price clearly understood by all.

@Cherryann01 I'm living on a street with an Auzie and an American, so I may be able to set up a backyard beer session.. I will also try the Google microbrewery trick and see if I get anything other than your suggestion which I will try as well. Thanks :-)

To the OP, good luck finding a non sleazy bar to meet and B/S to other expats that don't involve the opposite sex are mostly there to open new ventures and opportunities. OMO but I am happier to chat and interact with the locals here and if I wanted/needed a fellow countryman I would have stayed in Australia and put up with the crap they sprout every time I venture into a bar or club no matter the country.

OMO but remember here most expats even in pubs have a better half like yourself but,,,,,, even though I am a gay man and have a partner for 11 or 12 years, mentioned to me later from different establishments we visited that he felt uneasy and scrutinized by the foreigners that talked to us/him countless times, better to have my/our drinks with the locals who accept and appreciate who we are as human beings and no tsismis.

The locals whether cousins for a drink or a karaoke bar with strangers care little for B/S and are there to enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

@Cherryann01 I'm living on a street with an Auzie and an American, so I may be able to set up a backyard beer session.. I will also try the Google microbrewery trick and see if I get anything other than your suggestion which I will try as well. Thanks :-)
-@SilverBirch

In your original post you also asked which Island has the best bars. It kind of suggests to me that you are up for a long weekend away somewhere. I wonder, given that Cebu Pacific seem to have great promotional fares from time to time, if a trip to a nearby country is not out of the question for you, if they had good bars/pubs.

Hello all.

I have found "Cafe Engelberg" in Mactan to be a great place to eat and drink. No karaoke, not a pick up joint, good meals, many expats and some Filipinos. It is run by a Swiss gentleman and is clean and affordable. Anyone going, please PM me and we can have a meet up.

regards  Bruce

So there is a great place that meets your specs in Cagayan de Oro, uptown. It used to be called Kingston Lodge, now it goes by KL Clubhouse. Owned and managed by an Aussie chef. It's usually about 40% expats, most with their wives or girlfriends, and many with kids to enjoy the pool. It has a nice-sized bar  (10 chairs) to have a good conversation. The staff is fantastic. And the food is excellent. There's a live band on Saturday nights (so not so quiet then). My wife and I are there usually 4 nights a week, or more. The only downside (for me) is that they don't have beer on tap. But the bottles are always nice and cold.

@SilverBirch

Hello.

Which part of Cebu are you in ? If you can get across the bridge to Lapu-Lapu City there are 3 places to try. Top would be "Engelberg Cafe", good dining, cold beer and not a "pick up" place, suitable to bring GF to. Second "The Diner" restaurant frequented by many ex-pats, cold beer and no loud music. Third "The Three Amigos" only just opened, has pool table, darts, not a sleazy place, have not tried the food there yet.  All 3 are within 400 meters of each other.

Give me a PM if you are coming and could have a meet up ( I am Aussie )

regards  Bruce