Dating and finding love as an expat in the Philippines

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in the Philippines?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in the Philippines?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in the Philippines?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving the Philippines?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

i have had two gf in the philippines..when i had to go out to other countries i still had my gf here in the PHP....the www.tagged.com is a good dating site...Joe

Since i got a bit of time to write:

Priscilla :

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in the Philippines?

Gosh! its like picking sea shells at the beach. Pinoys are mostly friendly and the ladies are every much open to you, once they like you. My first year of being in the country, almost every girl i met was single lol. It was in due time that i found out most were not, they were only single when they wanted to.

Priscilla :

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

In my experience you can meet through all of the above stated ways. My college mates will introduce me with 4 to 5 of his cousins who were single and willing to go on a date with me. There are times too, i and friends will randomly meet a group of ladies having coffee, so we join them and have what one can clarify as a "group date". As for online dating and apps. You name it, you can find a whole lot to choose from. Most expats meet their significant other through apps and online websites, such as the one mentioned above. Mind you most of these apps and websites are full of scammers and gold diggers. knowing how to "fish" good from bad in dating apps and websites is a mastery of art learned by few as they get acquitted to the system.

Priscilla :

How safe is it to date in the Philippines?

Very safe. Again most travel to Philippines to find love or companionship. Pionys as earlier mentioned are caring, lovable and often-mostly reliable. Due to this, there are a lot of cafes, restaurants among other attractive tourist sites you could take your dates too. Most of these dates wont be expensive and are in open areas within the CBD.

Priscilla :

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

Now that is on individual basis. From my experience cultural difference, although a few had a great impact on my relationship, there were often times, what was deemed OK for her was not for me. From were i came from, dating is more conservative in a different direction than it is in the Philippines. But i slowly adjusted to the openers of their culture and things become a lot easier. The only downside of dating i found in the Philippines was not being able to connect intellectually with my dates. Most of my dating was basically eating out, walking in parks or malls, at times the movies and all with little conversation, as they will say they are shy or not fluent in English. It was OK with me in my first year but as time went on i found it not attractive, as i wanted to connect with my dates intellectually.  This is so for me because, when my date becomes my GF it gradually becomes clear with me that aside from having fun we did not talk much or do much of things that sounded like we were growing as a couple.

Priscilla :

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in the Philippines?

1. Be friendly
2. Choose you date wisely. As already mentioned not all are seeking relationship. Well we all have our reasons for dating. Just make sure you know yours. Cause i have witnessed a lot my expat friends get into bad problems just by dating the wrong individual.
3. Nothing expensive. Going to a mall, movies or even eating at a fast food joint is good enough for most.
4. Know the difference between gay and non gay's so not to sound offensive on the day of the date.
5. Always make your intentions clear to your date.
6. Know their ages. Some lie.
7. Know their real relationship status. Most are in a long and active relationship but would lie about it till you find out the sad and wrong way.
8. Never fall in love quickly with your date. Give it a lot of time and think before.

Priscilla :

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving the Philippines?

Well a lot like me did find a serious relationship and leaving was always inevitable. The only thing you can do if you know you are not coming back once you leave the Philippines is  to arrange in time for your panther to travel with you. Or in most cases like me, do always come back to the Philippines till you are married. A lot of expats are in serious relationships even with them being outside the Philippines as most do actually come to find love here. Once the trust and faithfulness is established in the relationship you both will find a way to cope things out.

Everything mentioned is subjected to my personal experience and opinion.

Thank.

flex14 :

The only thing you can do if you know you are not coming back once you leave the Philippines is  to arrange in time for your panther to travel with you.

Darn that auto correct. LOL. At least it didn't auto correct to "panties."

I've had worse, like almost sending a text to my client, asking if he's satan. Glad I noticed it before sending.

Another time, I texted a former co-worker asking if he was a kumquat. I didn't notice the auto correct until after the text was sent. LOL.

FilAmericanMom :
flex14 :

The only thing you can do if you know you are not coming back once you leave the Philippines is  to arrange in time for your panther to travel with you.

Darn that auto correct. LOL. At least it didn't auto correct to "panties."

I've had worse, like almost sending a text to my client, asking if he's satan. Glad I noticed it before sending.

Another time, I texted a former co-worker asking if he was a kumquat. I didn't notice the auto correct until after the text was sent. LOL.

hahaha. it had me good here. I hope most can read through it. LOL. Thanks for pointing it out.

You have come to a very poor country where women will do what they can for their family's. Many will want your help, many will use you, some will treat you as you treat them...be sure of what you are looking for. Good luck.

what NOT to do is looking for serious relation in a bar
before getting serious be sure to know her and her family and if she is not married.
make sure you are on the same page as far as relation and life in general is conserned.
discus "family support" and make your view on it clear,this to avoid unpleasant diskusions about this later on

i was lucky my wife was hard working,had a lovely family and non of the family was expecting support ,this dos not means we do not give support at times ,it means it is given not askt for.
as far as culture is involved we both gave and took til we were more or less in balance .
wen we go to my country of origin it will be on vacation to come home here,am very happy here in The Philippines ,way more than i ever was in europa.

greets Dirk

what NOT to do is looking for serious relation in a bar
before getting serious be sure to know her and her family and if she is not married.
make sure you are on the same page as far as relation and life in general is conserned.
discus "family support" and make your view on it clear,this to avoid unpleasant diskusions about this later on

i was lucky my wife was hard working,had a lovely family and non of the family was expecting support ,this dos not means we do not give support at times ,it means it is given not askt for.
as far as culture is involved we both gave and took til we were more or less in balance .
wen we go to my country of origin it will be on vacation to come home here,am very happy here in The Philippines ,way more than i ever was in europa.

greets Dirk

I have been with two filipina girls during my 15 years in asia...one was for 8 years....then she married a American guy and lives in America...My second one is in college and has 10 sibblings...of course the parents do not work and their hand is always out.....but its not my job to feed that family...but I told my gf if you want to give your pocket money  to them thats up to you...meet a nice girl who is working or in college and not looking for a CASH COW....there is many....JOE