Living in Zambia guide for expats

All the information you need to relocate and live in Zambia.

About Zambia

Zambia covers the area of 752,614 square kilometres and has the population of over 17 million people. The country is inhabited by several ethnic groups: Bemba (about 20%), Chewa, Ngoni and Nsenga (15%), Tonga, Ila and Lenje (15%), Lozi (6%), and many other tribes. English is the region's official language, but over 70 local languages are spoken across the country. Zambia's capital and largest city is Lusaka. Chingola is a big industrial centre, Kitwe is an important mining city, and Livingstone is the closest town to Victoria Falls.

Zambia's economy has been showing signs of rapid growth for several years. The country is one of the largest copper producers in Africa ' raw copper, refined copper, and copper wire account for over 74% of the country's exports. The agriculture sector is still the primary employer, granting jobs to over 70% of the population. On the other hand, industry accounts for over 30% of the GDP and the services sector for over 46% of the GDP.

Zambia is a great land for adventurers and explorers offering pristine landscapes to discover. The country is home to Victoria Falls, the largest waterfall in the world. In Zambia, you can also find some of the most beautiful lakes in Africa ' Lake Tanganyika and Lake Kariba ' and the Zambezi river, which is the fourth longest river in Africa. Also, national parks where you can observe the rich wildlife in their natural habitats are abundant ' South Luangwa National Park, Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park, and Nyika National Park to name a few.

Residents of most countries are eligible for visa on arrival in Zambia. Citizens of three countries can stay in Zambia visa-free for 30 to 90 days. Those requiring a visa will need to apply for a tourist visa at one of the country's diplomatic missions.

Quick Information

Capital : Lusaka
Official Languages : Bemba , Bemba (Zambia) , Chichewa; Chewa; Nyanja
Currency : Kwacha
Area : 752614 Km2
Population : 13460305
Calling Code : +260
Timezone : Africa/Lusaka

Share your Expat Experience in the Guide

As an member you can share your own experience about your expatriation by writing some articles in the Expat Guide.
Formalities, Visas, Work, Bank. Share your tips or your knowledges about the new country where you chose to live, or about your own country.