Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Traveling to Linyi City, China this Fall

I plan on traveling to Linyi City, China this fall, and while there I would like to connect with English speaking people.  I will be staying in the city for several months and I will be needing guidance how to navigate the city as well as the culture.  I have a doctorate from the University of Virginia and I speak and write english extremely well.  But, I'm not going there to work or teach.  I'm just going there as a tourist. 

See also

Great choice for a more authentic, low-key Shandong experience!


English speakers are limited but you can find them:

  1. Join WeChat expat/local groups (search “Linyi expats” or “Linyi English”)
  2. Use HelloTalk/Tandem for language exchange
  3. Hang out at Linyi University area, big malls (MIXC, Taisheng), or international hotels


Must-have apps:

  1. WeChat + Alipay (link foreign card)
  2. Didi, Amap/Baidu Maps
  3. Pleco/Translate


Fall weather is nice for Mengshan, Wang Xizhi sites, bamboo slip museum, hot springs, and night markets.


Food highlight: Linyi fried chicken and Shandong pancakes.


Get a proper Tourist (L) visa as the  240-hour TWOV won’t work for multi-month stay.


Once there, the Entry-Exit Bureau in Linyi can usually extend if needed.


Locals are friendly and curious about foreigners, especially educated ones.


Learn a few basic phrases and you’ll be fine.

@Alfilie

Linyi is a small city, what makes you go there for several months,  May I know😊

Linyi is a smaller city, so assume less English on the street and set up your basics on day one. Get a local SIM at the airport or a carrier shop in town — bring your passport, it's required for registration. Install Alipay or WeChat Pay and link your foreign card before you fly; in my experience it usually works for most payments, but small street vendors may prefer cash or the scan-to-pay flow, so keep a few hundred yuan in small notes as backup.


For getting around, Amap handles navigation and Didi works in Linyi — set the app to English in settings. For English-speaking company, the university area and lobby bars of international hotels are your best bet, plus WeChat expat groups for Shandong cities.


One more thing: save your hotel's address in Chinese characters on your phone. Taxi drivers and locals will find you much faster with that than with a translated street name.

Further reading