Application for belgian Nationality if D Card is applied?

Hello ,

Last month i applied for D-card as i completed uninterrupted 5 years Stay here.. i was informed that i am also eligible to directly apply for belgian citizen ship.. is this understanding correct?
I have already recieved Annex 16 bis from Antwerp municipality for D-card-stating my application is sent to brussels foreign office.. can i still apply for citizenship while waiting for d-card processing or i have to wait for D-card to be issued to apply for citizenship

My single permit is valid  till January 2023. thank you

Appreciate your answers on this

Best Regards
Ricky

Hi Ricky,
No, you cannot right now. You ca apply for citizenship next day after you got the card D.
What they meant that you also fulfilled the criteria, but one imprtnat thing that you must have a permanent residence in order to apply for the citizenship which is now under process.

Best of luck!
Mo

Ricky. Good luck, you'll have it soon.

Since you have applied for cardD. My query would be,
What do you mean 5 years of uninterrupted stay. I also see about economic integration. Can you share some rules of the criteria to apply for cardD.
I'm currently completing 4 years so just curious.

Cheers

@Ricky0210 At the end, did you wait for the D card or you applied for citizenship without it?

Hello Waleedov,

Let's hope the OP will get to see your message.1f60a.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Waleedov

it might not be intepreted correctly but the Law is clear that you in anycase, must in a possession of an UNLIMITED residence permit in order to apply for citizenship.

if the unlimited permit application is in process then in NO case you could apply for because you do not yet have the right to stay unlimited

even the commune sends your files then I am sure that its rejected later on.

@Peterjohn123 Isn't it the commune's job to check the documents before? Why would they accept card A?

Can someone advise me if I should apply for PR card while my citizenship application is in process?

I'm in similar situation already completed 5 years  uninterrupted and also integration exam and level A2 Netherlands exam. I tried to apply for D card but later I understood that I should apply for A card and they will convert it to D card application and there is no D card application directly. Is that true?. My current A card is expiring Feb 2023 so no time to wait and I applied for A card a week before.

@ashwin1987. I applied for L card, you can apply L instead of D

@ashwin1987 : Typically it takes 5 months to receive L card once you submit all documents to commune. Meanwhile you have to be on A card.

@ashwin1987 You can apply for the L card. Commune has to give you an Annex 16bis against it.

@Peterjohn123 Isn't it the commune's job to check the documents before? Why would they accept card A? Can someone advise me if I should apply for PR card while my citizenship application is in process? -@Waleedov

I think people answered you more than enough. Instead of looking up the official information in many places and you still try to find the answer of something that is unrealistic.

Your later question is very not logic and unnecessary because everyone has PR "before" they could apply for nationality.

If you put your phone down and go directly to the commune and ask them for PR, what will they response and why don't you go there to ask when you have been replied with everything in this forum?

https://www.adde.be/ressources/fiches-p … ite-18-ans

You can read this carefully for the nationality law. Don't believe still? Send an email to the ministry, they will answer you in 4 work days.

The job of the commune is to verify your documents based on criteria but it does not mean that the commune take responsibility on the correctiveness because the decision is not from their side. It does not mention in the receipt that your documents are fully eligible and acceptable per the law. The reason is because it depends on the knowledge and experience of the agent who received your files. Its very common if they miss something.

There are also court cases (agii.be      ) that people complained they were not given the nationality and the court claimed that its because they were not in posession of the permanent residence.

Let's hope that you get that nationality with no permanent residency.

@Ricky02101 So, in the end, how did your application for permanent residence go? Did you get approved? What was the timeline?

In the end, it was rejected! and I lost 150 EUR.

Maybe it's my mistake but I also blame the ignorance of the employees who confirmed to me 3 times that "alles in orde".

What a waste of time and money, they should have at least refund the money.

Also why everyone says "Apply for Nationality after 5 years"? That's not true.

You should apply for a D/L/B visa FIRST.

5 years uninterrupted stay + 6 months to get D Visa + 6 months to get nationality

That is 6 years in total AT LEAST.

Having a permanent residence card (D/L or B) is a prerequisite to apply for nationality.