Considering moving to Belgium...

I need some guidance, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am a teacher with a large family (5 including myself) that is wanting to relocate overseas to teach. I would preferably like somewhere in Europe, in an international school that pays for my kid's tuition, offers housing, health insurance and at least a 2year contract. Am I delusional? or Is it possible to obtain something like this? Any info would be great. Thank you.

Housing?? Yeah, delusional. LOL. Jobs don't normally provide housing, unless it's some sort of live-in situation job, which, isn't typical. I also don't think they do paying for children things either, but I can't say for certain about that one. Schoolmum on here seems to know tons, so she could probably say with more certainty.

Do you speak Dutch or French? I mean, what are you looking to teach? I imagine that to get a job in a regular school (as opposed to just being a foreign language teacher in a program) that you would have to speak at least one of the local languages...

You may have a chance with schooling for the kids of perhaps a disocount bt yeah as melby said housing is probs not a chance

Here's a map I made of all the international schools in Brussels/Waterloo area, many are English speaking ones.
http://batchgeo.com/map/0777fe5f939fe09 … 91ceee1066

To get any package approaching what you are looking for, you will normally be looking at the larger international schools and be recruted from abroad. You might get full school fees paid for and a housing allowance plus help with relocation costs. Health insurance at a basic level is very cheap (we pay just over 100 per year for 6 of us) but a top-up hospitalisation insurance is normal for the employee and for a small supplement you could pay for the rest of the family at say a couple of 100s per year. My guess is that the British School of Brussels advertise in TES. But more often now the international schools like to recrute from the large pool of trailing spouses or even locals - many of whom are the children of EU civil servants who have been educated in multi-languages at European school and who go on to get teaching qualifications in the UK for example. When recruting from in Belgium, it means no schooling paid for your children at international schools. But the local Dutch and French schools can be a great option, why not try them even if you do land a job at an international school?

Thanks everyone, looks like I have to get the job I want with the benefits I want from here in the States and then move over. I do speak Spanish, some French and Italian and I am looking forward to learning Dutch and German. The rest of my family not so much...

Schoolmum,do you teach? and if so how's the pay? Will my pay allow for some time for my hubby to get a job? Also, any suggestions on particular areas I need to stay away from that are not kid-friendly? This is great I love getting input from experienced Expats!

You usually need to be an EU national too for the majority of schools, as otherwise the school has to get a work permit for you.

Anywhere around the international schools is nice to live.

No idea what pay is but in the big international schools, it's considerably more than what someone would earn in a Belgian school. You will certainly not be poor. Quality of life here is a big pull, the high taxation perhaps less so.

Hi,

I will be moving to Aarschot, Belgium on Work permit. Please guide me through on the expenses and Tax realted stuffs.

1.  Local income Tax rates (Aarschot)
2.  House rent
3.  Food Expenses
4.  Public Transportation expenses.

Etc...

Look forward for reply...

Thanks
XLNC

TAX here is a short guide, there is social securtity to pay, national tax and local income tax, all taxed together. You need to ask wherever you decide to live how much you local income tax will be.
http://www.expatica.com/be/finance_busi … 15334.htmlhttp://payroll.partena.be/s_mp_websimul … gtype=2060

RENT is however much you want to pay according to size and area. Do your own research on Immoweb. I could give you an idea if you said which post code exactly you are planning in living in, the size of property, what your top limit is.

FOOD
We spend about 40 euro per week each, but as a large family, some things are pooled, as a single person, you might spend a bit more.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT from where to where? Are you going to be on a local contract, because a hight percentage of local transport costs will be paid.

Aarschot gemeente tax on revenue is 8%, here is the list for the gemeenten in Vlaams Brabant provincie.
http://fiscus.fgov.be/interfaoiffr/ippt … msbrab.htm

Looking on Immoweb for Aarschot gemeente, apartments go for between €6 and €8 per m2 per month, eg €750 per month gets you between 94m2 and 125m2 apartment which would be 2 or 3 bedrooms. Do be careful with apartments about what is included in any service charges - some include cleaning of shared areas such as stairs and gardens, some include heating and water too, so a high service charge might be a reasonable one and may also not be!