Flying Out Of SGN/HCMC Tân Sơn Nhất Airport

The whole experience leaving out of Tân Sơn Nhất Airport was quite underwhelming.

Very little traffic dropping people off at Terminal 2 (International departures).

In the right end of the terminal, there were only a few check in lines open; all Singapore Airlines.

All shops are closed, and some key escalators were turned off, so I used elevators instead.

Currency exchange booths were also unmanned.

Security guards at the entrance to the terminal might stop you if there's a lot of people in your group.

They really only want ticketed passengers to pass through the doors, but it's a very loose enforcement.

The need to show covid-19 test results is based solely on your country destination and the airline. As far as I know Ho Chi Minh city has still not instituted any special test requirements for being able to access the airport.

NOTE: If you are connecting through Singapore, even if you are remaining at the airport to wait, the country now requires ALL arrivals to have been tested within the previous 72 hours.

Meanwhile, I made it back to America.

Still in route to New Orleans.

The end of an era?

G'day,
Hope you had a good flight .

Friend of mine flew from Bangkok to London recently.   Prior to boarding they handed him a paper bag with 3 small sandwiches , a tiny tub of custard & a bottle of water......no inflight service , so that had to last 14 hours.   Thai airways is doing it tough....basically bankrupt.

I recently checked  that Mexico does not require a PCR test on entry ,or quarantine.   However , since transit is thru LAX that shouldn't matter .   I did read somewhere that if transit is more than 24 hour's 😳😳 that test is required. What if the connecting flight is delayed ????   Since they let you  on the plane without it that could be interesting. Some of the flights from SGN to Mexico can take 37 hours with transits. 

Anyway , we live in a changing world.   Wish you the best , thanks for your contribution to the forum & good luck in N'orlins.

Glad all went well O. B.. You made no mention of your immigration experience so I am assuming everything was cool.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

G'day,
Hope you had a good flight .

Friend of mine flew from Bangkok to London recently.   Prior to boarding they handed him a paper bag with 3 small sandwiches , a tiny tub of custard & a bottle of water......no inflight service , so that had to last 14 hours.   Thai airways is doing it tough....basically bankrupt.

I recently checked  that Mexico does not require a PCR test on entry ,or quarantine.   However , since transit is thru LAX that shouldn't matter .   I did read somewhere that if transit is more than 24 hour's 😳😳 that test is required. What if the connecting flight is delayed ????   Since they let you  on the plane without it that could be interesting. Some of the flights from SGN to Mexico can take 37 hours with transits. 

Anyway , we live in a changing world.   Wish you the best , thanks for your contribution to the forum & good luck in N'orlins.

Fortunately, business class on Singapore Airlines had much better meal service. Too much delicious food really, but I forced myself...

Not sure what you are saying about being allowed on a plane to the USA without a test.

Certainly a test was required by the airline for me.

As far as I know, ANY international flight that will touch down in the USA is required to have all passengers tested for Covid-19 within the previous 3 days (not 72 hours).

I connected to a Delta flight and wasn't required to undergo the Los Angeles County mandatory quarantine for all new arrivals who leave the terminal.

Your layover could be for 24 hours or more, but as long as you do not leave the terminal, you are not subject to that local quarantine rule, and the only requirement will be that you are tested (negative) prior to getting on your flight.

zincity wrote:

Glad all went well O. B.. You made no mention of your immigration experience so I am assuming everything was cool.

The US immigration officer at LAX was probably my age and didn't even look inside my passport.

He simply slapped it down on the counter, covered with his hand (as if it were a cup covered in liars dice) and asked me where I was coming from.

He was visibly surprised when I said "Vietnam".

He asked me if I had anything to declare and I mentioned a gift of essential oils that I had been given before departure.

He shrugged that off, handed me back my passport and said "welcome home".

When I finally reached the area for picking up my luggage, it was free for me to take with me.

I assumed it was already screened before it ever reached me.

I was free to walk out to the sidewalk where transportation runs, and I was offered a ride on a shuttle bus that would take me to Delta ticketing.

Although I was told that wouldn't violate the Los Angeles County quarantine law, I still decided to walk with my luggage over to the Delta processing area and catch my connecting flight.

That's the easiest entry into the United States I've ever experienced.

Hello everyone,

Please note that some unnecessary and off-topic posts have been removed from this thread.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Unnecessary
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
zincity wrote:

The US immigration officer at LAX was probably my age and didn't even look inside my passport.

He simply slapped it down on the counter, covered with his hand (as if it were a cup covered in liars dice) and asked me where I was coming from.

He asked me if I had anything to declare and I mentioned a gift of essential oils that I had been given before departure.

When I finally reached the area for picking up my luggage, it was free for me to take with me.

I was free to walk out to the sidewalk where transportation runs, and I was offered a ride on a shuttle bus that would take me to Delta ticketing.

Although I was told that wouldn't violate the Los Angeles County quarantine law, I still decided to walk with my luggage over to the Delta processing area and catch my connecting flight.

Great to know but I was more concerned with any hiccups with Vietnamese immigration. It must have been to inconsequential to report, which is excellent!

zincity wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
zincity wrote:

Great to know but I was more concerned with any hiccups with Vietnamese immigration. It must have been to inconsequential to report, which is excellent!

You pass through the immigration departure gate before going through the security check.

At the moment I walked up to the immigration officer there was no one else waiting at any cubicle.

That whole departure hall was eerily empty.

The officer asked me to pull down my mask and then stamped my passport for departure.

My Visa expired on June 2nd and I was departing on June 2nd so no problem with overstaying.

The security check was standard and uneventful and unrushed, since no one else was passing through at that moment.

YOu didnt have problems with corrupt officials asking how much money you are taking out of the country?

joelteacher wrote:

YOu didnt have problems with corrupt officials asking how much money you are taking out of the country?

As long as it's under the limit they cant do anything.

We looked at legally carrying out vnd, but you have to declare it and knowing those scumbags at the airport they will create problems.

... i missed some original post, about WHY you had to leave?

after all ,you hv been here so long i believe

Ilegitimis Non Carborere wrote:

... i missed some original post, about WHY you had to leave?

after all ,you hv been here so long i believe

See this thread