HOUSEHOLD STORAGE FACILITY IN HCM

I am planning to move to Vietnam and will be purchasing a home. I will be moving all of my household goods with an international mover. I have a large three bedroom home. Does anyone know if there is a storage facility in HCM that offers storage for household contents? It may take 3-6 months to find a house so I need to store items on a month to month basis. I appreciate and help and advice.

A little advice and some information. The average weight for shipment of HHG's for a 3BDR house is about 6 to 9K lbs. The weight information is important because you'll be paying at least $2.00 a lb if the shipment is from the west coast for example. The price increases as you ship from farther east. A pre- survey by the shipper will give you a better estimate of weight and cost per lb for the shipment. The terms of service that you have to use is DTD (door to door). That makes the movers responsible for  the packing, wrapping, movement of the  shipment from your house in the States over ocean thru customs in Vietnam and delivery, unpacking of the shipment at your house here in Vietnam. As you read through the links below you'll see requirements for a work permit and a authorization letter from the company your working for. The shipment cannot leave origin (USA) before the documents have been received by the moving company that will do the customs clearance and delivery to your house here in Vietnam. Please pay attention to the restricted items list provided. In addition don't let the movers that are packing you out mark any item a PBO (packed by owner) on the inventory list.  Your question on storage of HHG's here in a warehouse I would say is a bad idea. The shipment will have to clear customs at the port and then move directly to destination. Movement to a storage facility and then onward movement to your place will cost a bunch more bucks in double handling fees and subject the shipment to possible pilferage. A decent  moving company will also recommend that you don't try it that way. My advice would be to get everything packed and on temporary hold in the States till you have everything set-up here and then call the shipment forward.

http://jvkasia.com/vietnam/https://www.orbitmoving.com/moving-to-vietnamhttp://www.iamovers.org/ResourcesPublic … umber=3506https://www.unigroupworldwide.com/stati … ietnam.pdfhttp://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs% … ietnam.pdf

Rick

Sell it all in the states and buy your household items here. I priced my household goods to be shipped here and the taxes made it too expensive.

colinoscapee wrote:

Sell it all in the states and buy your household items here. I priced my household goods to be shipped here and the taxes made it too expensive.

Very probably true - and many/most of the electrical items won't work anyway as they're likely to be 110V only.

Furniture, appliances, and household goods, I agree with everyone that you should sell them all.  Personal belongings and things that you absolutely cannot live without, or can live without but with saddened heart, then bring them using baggage allowance when you move over.

When we moved here, we brought along 244 lbs of our belongings without charge and without going through custom.  Next year on my solo trip to CA, I'll bring back another 122 lbs of the stuff that I've missed dearly since moving here. 

We did the same way when we moved from the States to Europe.  That's the least expensive and least hassle way I know for international relocation.

Thank all of you for your advice. I should have mentioned that I live in the UK. Please note the following:
1. Budman1 - I thought international shippers charged customers based on container size. I will probably need a 20 foot and possibly 40 foot container. I appreciate all of your inputs. Especially your recommendation to have my HHGs stored in the UK until I have a house in Vietnam.

2. Colinoscapee - Thank you
3.  Fred - Thank you
4. Ciambella - Thank you

Kind Regards

Kytain

Your welcome......good luck.

kytian the information I provided and links were for a professional move. Where they come to your house pack and wrap everything, stuff it in a container and move it to destination and unwrap it after the documents have been accepted by customs (DTD).  The option of renting a container and doing a DIY  is not the road to go down if you have large amount of HHG's to move from the UK to here in Vietnam. The sheer volume of paperwork involved that a moving company has to do for Vietnam customs is enough to make a grown man cry, than add on the requirement for a WP and a sponsorship letter provided by you to them, that just gets things into the "too hard box". If you can afford it, a professional moving company is the only way to go. If not the advice by the other members might be the best option for you. Good luck either way.
Rick

I have seen discussions of storage facilities in Saigon for expats. Join the FB group "Expats in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)" and search posts.

Yes container and partial container shipping is by volume, not weight. In the UK, look for a Vietnamese shipping company that can do door-to-door service. There are California/Saigon companies like that; it worked smoothly for me for a small air shipment of boxes because the company reps at both ends handled the paperwork and delivery. A UK/Saigon company like that could sort out the storage too.

gobot wrote:

I have seen discussions of storage facilities in Saigon for expats. Join the FB group "Expats in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)" and search posts.

Yes container and partial container shipping is by volume, not weight. In the UK, look for a Vietnamese shipping company that can do door-to-door service. There are California/Saigon companies like that; it worked smoothly for me for a small air shipment of boxes because the company reps at both ends handled the paperwork and delivery. A UK/Saigon company like that could sort out the storage too.

If only it was that easy, moving a 3BDR house full of HHG's is a little more complex than "a small air shipment of boxes"  As I suggested a pre-survey by the moving company rep will give him a better idea on costs and movement requirements to including customs clearance and delivery in-country..
Rick