Some Visa Extensions Discontinued

Don't trust ME on this.

Contact your own visa agent to discover IF:

...you are in Vietnam from ANY country--on a category DN business visa--and you don't have a legitimate employer with a work permit--you will not be able to do any more 3-month extensions.

Or,

...you entered the country on a tourist visa on or after March 1st, 2020, your free automatic extension for this month (May, 2021) will be your final free automatic extension.

To quote my visa agent:

"It is said that automatic extension is ended this month and that all foreigners must find a way to leave Vietnam".

She also said this is brand new news, as just last week she was able to process 3 month extensions of business visas without a work permit.

She also said it's possible to get a paid 1-month extension of both types of visas, to allow for making plans to depart the county.

Don't shoot the messenger.

If you have proof that my agent is incorrect, by all means, please correct me with official data.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Don't trust ME on this.

...you are in Vietnam from ANY country--on a category DN business visa--and you don't have a legitimate employer with a work permit--you will not be able to do any more 3-month extensions.

Or,

...you entered the country on a tourist visa on or after March 1st, 2020, your free automatic extension for this month (May, 2021) will be your final free automatic extension.

To quote my visa agent:

"It is said that automatic extension is ended this month and that all foreigners must find a way to leave Vietnam".

She also said this is brand new news, as just last week she was able to process 3 month extensions of business visas without a work permit.

She also said it's possible to get a paid 1-month extension of both types of visas, to allow for making plans to depart the county.

If you have proof that my agent is incorrect, by all means, please correct me with official data.

Can she supply a link stating that people will need to leave?

This is the latest I could find, no mention of people having to leave.

Visas

This is disheartening news. I will add my own experience & information I have been told. Like OP said, don't just trust my info, talk to your agent and research online. Anyhow...

I have a 3 month tourist visa on an Aus passport from January 2020. I have been holding out hoping for travel conditions to improve before going to either Cambodia or Aus. No free automatic extensions for me, I had to pay for all of them! First extension was 1 month with the rest being 3 months.

Next extension is due now. My agent messaged me yesterday. Said I can only buy a 1 month extension. Asked why and she said 12 Koreans entered illegally and now the government is investigating. This is my ***speculation*** but it sounds like they want to check all the paperwork and make sure all foreigners are here legitimately.

My agent didn't say I was required to leave. She thinks these changes are temporary ***but is not sure**. I will contact her again soon and ask for more information.

I also spoke to a very good friend in Cambodia recently who works in tourism and has contacts. I asked about the visa situation. According to an official at a border gate the on-arrival tourist or un-sponsored business visas are not available. However they should be available "soon". Again, I will follow up on this.

I think the Koreans were caught through dodgy business visas being sponsored by certain companies. These visas are being advertised daily on Facebook. The agents and fake companies have someone in immigration who is issuing these visas, maybe the government should be looking into who  is issuing the visas.

Salensis wrote:

This is disheartening news. I will add my own experience & information I have been told. Like OP said, don't just trust my info, talk to your agent and research online. Anyhow...

I have a 3 month tourist visa on an Aus passport from January 2020. I have been holding out hoping for travel conditions to improve before going to either Cambodia or Aus. No free automatic extensions for me, I had to pay for all of them! First extension was 1 month with the rest being 3 months.

Next extension is due now. My agent messaged me yesterday. Said I can only buy a 1 month extension. Asked why and she said 12 Koreans entered illegally and now the government is investigating. This is my ***speculation*** but it sounds like they want to check all the paperwork and make sure all foreigners are here legitimately.

My agent didn't say I was required to leave. She thinks these changes are temporary ***but is not sure**. I will contact her again soon and ask for more information.

I also spoke to a very good friend in Cambodia recently who works in tourism and has contacts. I asked about the visa situation. According to an official at a border gate the on-arrival tourist or un-sponsored business visas are not available. However they should be available "soon". Again, I will follow up on this.

Don't know about Koreans, but Chinese are getting caught aplenty in the north. This could certainly get immigration interested in the visa and people smuggler situation.

Latest from the Australian Govt. is that the borders won't open until ... possibly late ... 2022. That is unless you are a cricketer returning from India or an athlete returning from the olympics.

Not a day goes by withoutnsome advert offering some dodgy visa pckage, social media is full of these fake or ilegal visa agents. Of course there has to be someone on the inside at immigration who is turning a blind eye.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Don't trust ME on this.

Or,

To quote my visa agent:

Can she supply a link stating that people will need to leave?

Apparently it was this document which caused immigration to begin denying business visa extensions for those without a work permit, and would also give authority to deport anyone who is denied a business or tourist visa extension but remains in the country past the expiration date of their visa.

That's simply the way the law has always been.

https://luatvietnam.vn/lao-dong/cong-dien-03-cd-ldtbxh-2021-tang-cuong-quan-ly-lao-dong-nuoc-ngoai-tai-viet-nam-202147-d6.html

I apologize I cannot provide a Google Translation because there's some sort of glitch in the web page that keeps kicking me away when I attempt to copy it.

MINISTRY OF LABOR - INVALUATIONS AND ELECTRIC SOCIALITY :

- Presidents of People's Committees of provinces and centrally run cities.

Currently, the situation of Covid-19 epidemic in the world and in the country is very complicated and tends to increase. The situation of foreigners illegally entering and entering for the purpose of finding work is not in accordance with the provisions of the labor law is happening in many localities throughout the country. To strictly implement the direction of the Standing Committee of the Secretariat, Official Dispatch No. 570/CD-TTg dated May 2, 2021 of the Prime Minister on the rectification and improvement of the effectiveness of the Covid-19 epidemic prevention and control work. 19, successfully realizing the dual goals of protecting and improving people's health and ensuring social security, the Minister of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs proposed to the Chairman of the People's Committees of the provinces, The city pays attention to and directs the implementation of the following contents:

1. Review all establishments and enterprises that are employing foreigners in the locality. On that basis, strengthen management, closely monitor all cases of entry, registered foreign workers and working at establishments and enterprises, etc. Resolutely not to let people slip through. Illegal entry to work in establishments and enterprises. Report the review results to the Ministry of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs (via the Employment Department) before May 25, 2021 to summarize and report to the Prime Minister.

2. Check and correct the issuance of work permits for foreign workers in the locality, ensuring the correct conditions, order and procedures specified in Decree No. 152/2020/ND-CP dated December 30 2020 of the Government and Clause 1, Article 152 of the Labor Code 2019 (Enterprises, agencies, organizations, individuals and contractors are only allowed to recruit foreign workers to do managerial and supervisory positions. operations, experts and technical workers that Vietnamese workers have not yet met according to production and business needs).

3. Strengthen the inspection, examination and strictly handle establishments and enterprises that receive and use illegal laborers and cases of deliberate violations of the law. Directing authorities to consider deporting foreign workers who work in Vietnam but do not have a work permit (or written confirmation of not being eligible for a work permit) and do not comply with regulations of the Law on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.

4. Direct the organization of inspection of epidemic prevention and control at establishments and enterprises employing foreign workers in the area, ensuring strict implementation of 5K requirements and regulations of health authorities. Resolutely suspend and strictly handle establishments and enterprises that fail to ensure safety in accordance with law.

The Minister of Labor, War Invalids and Social Affairs proposed the Chairman of the People's Committees of the provinces and centrally-run cities to pay attention and well implement the above-mentioned contents and report to the Government on the implementation through the Ministry of Labour. - Invalids and Social Affairs

Jlgarbutt wrote:

MINISTRY OF LABOR - INVALUATIONS AND ELECTRIC SOCIALITY :

Is this the new Google Translation for DOLISA?   Where can we find some of that "ELECTRIC SOCIALITY?"  It sounds like fun.   :joking:

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Not so.

Yesterday my agent contacted me and told me that there are no more 1 month paid extensions.

I'm headed to Thailand.

Cheers!

:cheers:

...and now, my Australian friend who has been paying to legally extend his legal tourist visa a month at a time (he last entered the country before March 1st, 2020) has been told his legal tourist visa will not be extended again and he must leave the country in a couple of weeks.

Also, a neighbor on a tourist visa here in Hoi An who has been getting the automatic free monthly extensions (he entered the country after March 1st 2020) was told by an agent that his visa was "no good after 31 May" and he would "have to leave country".

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

...and now, my Australian friend who has been paying to legally extend his legal tourist visa a month at a time (he last entered the country before March 1st, 2020) has been told his legal tourist visa will not be extended again and he must leave the country in a couple of weeks.

Also, a neighbor on a tourist visa here in Hoi An who has been getting the automatic free monthly extensions (he entered the country after March 1st 2020) was told by an agent that his visa was "no good after 31 May" and he would "have to leave country".

I think the keyword in the governments ruling is "stranded" . Someone on a tourist visa is not stranded and could return home. There have been many flights back to Australia.

Not an overly smart thing to suggest by immigration, lets see if they actually do remove people. Im sure money will come into play and solve this perplexing problem for immigration.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I think the keyword in the governments ruling is "stranded" . Someone on a tourist visa is not stranded and could return home. There have been many flights back to Australia.

Not an overly smart thing to suggest by immigratiin, lets see if they actually do remove people. Im sure money will come into play and solve this perplexing problem for immigration.

I live in hope!! :o

It sounds like some people who have been living comfortably without permanent obligation may be looking to legalize the relationships with their other halves and convert those tourist and business visas to VEC or TRC.   :kiss:   Better move fast.

We applied for our three month extension right before the last holiday break and it took more than three weeks to get our passports returned to us. I guess we just squeaked through because our agent said immigration had processed the visas but were sitting on returning them to us. She also said she won't be able to get another extension for us.
So now, we will head to the US to get our vaccinations and then settle in Mexico for the time being.
Its too bad that Vietnam decided to “throw the baby out with the bath water” rather than go after only those that are here working illegally.

This reply is to no one in particular. Regardless of the current virus situation those of use that have been here more than a few weeks know this is the Vietnamese version of cleaning house. They do it every couple of years.
Rick

Budman1 wrote:

This reply is to no one in particular. Regardless of the current virus situation those of use that have been here more than a few weeks know this is the Vietnamese version of cleaning house. They do it every couple of years.
Rick

:o Are you sure? I assume I am protected for now with a TRC, and I respect you have been in Vietnam a lot longer than my 6 years, but I have never heard of any country expelling all residents who are not working, "cleaning house" of foreigners. And there is no retirement visa. Tightening rules (Thailand) and shortening visa length (here) is one thing, de facto deportation is a whole other thing. 😡 

Elsewhere a blogger said there was a govt meeting this weekend on the subject, clarification may be coming soon.

gobot wrote:

I have never heard of any country expelling all residents who are not working, "cleaning house" of foreigners. And there is no retirement visa.

Not having a retirement visa seems to be a conscious decision of the Vietnamese government, and one that has been pointed out innumerable times on this forum.  Given that other ASEAN countries have such visas means that they are fully aware of the possibility and yet chose to ignore it.  Perhaps they have examined the impact of such visas in the Philippines and Thailand and decided they don't like what they see.  Even spouses of citizens are subject to either 3 or 5 year renewals.  Perhaps they simply feel that the gain from non-working foreigners is not worth the trouble.  We can argue day and night but it is their decision.

There is confirmation of the situation on SNVI's web page.  As far as tourist visas, they can only try for a one-month extensions, and the government may choose to deny it, anyway.  Totally screwed up.

"Dear friends,
Regarding visa extension situation, kindly be informed:
📢 For Tourist visa extension, currently we can assist you with 1 month extension. Following by these days complicated situation, however, the Immigration Department can review the visa condition of foreigners, and they may ask foreigners to buy air tickets to leave Vietnam within 15 days.
📢 For Business visa extension, we can still assist you with the extension if you have a company sponsor for your visa.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Advertising info
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I think VN immigration need to have a good look at themselves. The amount of changes this department implements is mindnumbing.  They chop and change regulations like the weather, it's an absolute joke .

colinoscapee wrote:

I think VN immigration need to have a good look at themselves. The amount of changes this department implements is mindnumbing.  They chop and change regulations like the weather, it's an absolute joke .

Without any consideration at all of how it affects people.  Bureaucratism at its worst.  Even if I manage a one-month extension, I have to consider that I may be kicked out next month, and without one, I have at best 15 days to vacate my apartment with four months left on the lease and find a place to store all the goods I've accumulated since 2016.

How are you getting to thailand?? 14 days quarantine in Thailand  .

My agent is coming to pick up my passport tomorrow for a one-month extension.  I haven't gotten an indication from them whether I am likely to to be approved, even though I asked them, so it is still uncertain.  If I don't get one, my legal stay here ends on Friday.  My lease ends after September, so I may lose a lot of money.

This will be interesting.

Some countries won't allow arrivals unless vaccinated.....and getting vaccinated here as a foreigner could be fun.

And the last time I read VN housing law....a foreigner can't lease an apartment or house on Less than a 3 mth renewable visa.

If you can stay....maybe Hotels only.

Some hoops & hurdles coming our way .

I already have a lease until the end of September, so I don't think that will be a problem, although if they don't allow any more one-month extensions, I will still lose three months rent even if I get the one extension.  I can get back to the US with a COVID-19 test, and once there I can be inoculated.

paulmsn wrote:

If I don't get one, my legal stay here ends on Friday.  My lease ends after September, so I may lose a lot of money.

If you must leave, you shouldn't have to pay anything because it's not within your power to stay.  Talk to your landlord as soon as you can.

Ciambella wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

If I don't get one, my legal stay here ends on Friday.  My lease ends after September, so I may lose a lot of money.

If you must leave, you shouldn't have to pay anything because it's not within your power to stay.  Talk to your landlord as soon as you can.

I thinks Paul's paid up front. 

Hopefully his agent can swing an 11th hour “deal”.

paulmsn wrote:

I can get back to the US with a COVID-19 test, and once there I can be inoculated.

Because of the federal system in the US every state has its own laws about entry from overseas.  Some still require quarantine although that number may have dropped in recent weeks.  This article is two weeks old but may already be dated for some states.

Entry requirements

Daithi Doo wrote:

How are you getting to thailand?? 14 days quarantine in Thailand  .

Purchase insurance:

covid19.tgia.org/

Then, start Certificate Of Entry application here:

coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/start

Instructions:

youtube.com/watch?v=1c1dNaXv0mM

It's a two-step process:

You register with your personal information and a passport photo and include your insurance information for the time you're going to be there.

Then you wait three days to have your application approved.

Once your registration is approved, the second step is to complete your application, which also takes 3 days to be approved.

So you have to begin the process at least a week before any proposed flight, but probably 10 days to two weeks is a better estimate.

Find a quarantine hotel in Bangkok area or Phuket:

thaiembdc.org/asq/

Book a flight on Singapore Airlines with a 15-18 hour layover in Singapore:

google.com/travel/flights

Optionally, book a hotel at Singapore airport.

You are not allowed to leave the airport, and can only book at one of the two authorized hotels inside the airport.

This is one:

YOTELAir Singapore Changi Airport  maps.app.goo.gl/

In addition to a COVID test, you must also have a "Fit To Fly" certificate. See this list for facilities in HCMC where you can have both done:

docs.google.com/document/

THIGV wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

I can get back to the US with a COVID-19 test, and once there I can be inoculated.

Because of the federal system in the US every state has its own laws about entry from overseas.  Some still require quarantine although that number may have dropped in recent weeks.  This article is two weeks old but may already be dated for some states.

Entry requirements

I changed plans and will be flying into LAX.

Los Angeles County has a mandatory 10 day quarantine for all unvaccinated international arrivals, unless you catch a connecting flight to a different destination.

I'm continuing on to New Orleans where there aren't any restrictions, on a lot of things.

Singing some Dixieland Jazz... 😎

I thought that Thailand process might not be feasible with a 30 day or less window.

Ciambella wrote:

Hm, I would have thought that I am liable for the contract.  Still, if I have to leave early, I would make a deal with him, because it's not his fault, either, and he's not likely to be able to rent the apartment quickly with so many expats leaving.

THIGV wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

Entry requirements

I would be flying through DFW to PHX, and there are no restrictions in either state, so I should be fine.  I'm hoping Immigration will give me at least one more month, though.  My agent says they are considering whether to offer future extensions, so maybe I'll be able to do month-to-month until my lease expires.

All of this debacle reinforces my theory that in Vietnam Never buy anything that won't fit in a suitcase. 😆

Just buy an old bike to get around on & basic essentials....since you never know how long your tenure will be.

Self funded retirees who don't see the need to Marry anyone or teach English really don't belong here.    Other countries have retirement Visa for them , which is my next move.

If this bail out does eventuate , the only foreigners left in Nha Trang will be broke destitute Russians & former Soviet Bloc euro trash.   A lot of them don't have visas (no money) and report to Police every week for a checkin.   They're stealing bikes, shop lifting , drug dealing etc....One house has 26 Ruskys living in it like rats.

The only good thing about that is ,,they've dragged down the rental market to ridiculous low prices.    Beach front 2 bedroom apartments going for 3 mill .   Thousands of them still empty ,,,can't sell them & nobody will lease them.

The place is becoming  “ skid row” for destitutes from poor regions .

It's a sad scene....and unfortunately the best days of Nha Trang are behind it.   
Maybe time to look at new horizons.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

All of this debacle reinforces my theory that in Vietnam Never buy anything that won't fit in a suitcase. 😆

Just buy an old bike to get around on & basic essentials....since you never know how long your tenure will be.

Self funded retirees who don't see the need to Marry anyone or teach English really don't belong here.    Other countries have retirement Visa for them , which is my next move.

If this bail out does eventuate , the only foreigners left in Nha Trang will be broke destitute Russians & former Soviet Bloc euro trash.   A lot of them don't have visas (no money) and report to Police every week for a checkin.   They're stealing bikes, shop lifting , drug dealing etc....One house has 26 Ruskys living in it like rats.

The only good thing about that is ,,they've dragged down the rental market to ridiculous low prices.    Beach front 2 bedroom apartments going for 3 mill .   Thousands of them still empty ,,,can't sell them & nobody will lease them.

The place is becoming  “ skid row” for destitutes from poor regions .

It's a sad scene....and unfortunately the best days of Nha Trang are behind it.   
Maybe time to look at new horizons.

Most of this created by poor management from the government.

paulmsn wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

Hm, I would have thought that I am liable for the contract.  Still, if I have to leave early, I would make a deal with him, because it's not his fault, either, and he's not likely to be able to rent the apartment quickly with so many expats leaving.

I had just signed a three month lease on a house in Hội An 2 weeks ago.

When I told my landlord about my visa not being extended, she and her husband are not only returning my 5 million deposit, but they are going to prorate the first month, so I get back the 15 unused days in rent (another 5 million).

When I decided to rent here, it was because of the total package of a great house and really nice landlords.

Just don't wait.

Talk to your landlord now and be honest with them.

They may surprise you.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

When I told my landlord about my visa not being extended, she and her husband are not only returning my 5 million deposit, but they are going to prorate the first month, so I get back the 15 unused days in rent (another 5 million).

When I decided to rent here, it was because of the total package of a great house and really nice landlords.

Just don't wait.

They may surprise you.

You were very lucky. We informed our lady that we want to extend our lease for another three months, so what did she do, raised it 20%. We have been here for 18 months. Landlady, who is filthy rich ,informs us rents have increased, which they haven't. In my 14-years here I have found most landlords to be money hungry, even when wealthy. I have also had a few good landlords, but they were in the minority.

THIGV wrote:
gobot wrote:

I have never heard of any country expelling all residents who are not working, "cleaning house" of foreigners. And there is no retirement visa.

Not having a retirement visa seems to be a conscious decision of the Vietnamese government, and one that has been pointed out innumerable times on this forum.  Given that other ASEAN countries have such visas means that they are fully aware of the possibility and yet chose to ignore it.  Perhaps they have examined the impact of such visas in the Philippines and Thailand and decided they don't like what they see.  Even spouses of citizens are subject to either 3 or 5 year renewals.  Perhaps they simply feel that the gain from non-working foreigners is not worth the trouble.  We can argue day and night but it is their decision.

Actually, there IS a "retirement" visa here, and in some ways it's better than one of Thailand's options; in other ways, not.

In Thailand, if you deposit 800,000 Thai Baht (todày about $25,550 USD) in a Thai bank, you can get a retirement visa (other options based on income of at least 70,000 THB a month).

But you have to be at least 50 years old.

In Vietnam, you can get an investor TRC for a 3 billion VND (about $130,253.00 USD) in an authorized company's bank.

But there is no low age limit (maybe 18 years old?).

Not an option for someone without assets and on a pension or two, but people such as my upwardly mobile, upper middle-class 40 year old nephew could probably do that easily.

Also, as surprising as it seems to be, some retirees over 65 years old have saved a half million dollars or more for retirement, and they have significant equity in homes on which they have been making mortgage payments for 20 or 30 years.

I'm definitely not saying whether it's a good or bad idea to make that kind of investment.

I think a lot of people here would say it would be crazy to take good money and make a significant investment like that in Vietnam.

But for some people, it's a good option.

Vietnam also has a 1 year investor visa for a smaller amount invested (I forget if it's in the hundreds of millions or billions; Ciambella posted the new amounts a while back)

So certainly not as easy as retiring in Thailand.

Maybe comparable to the Golden Passport in Portugal?

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

Just don't wait.

They may surprise you.

You were very lucky. We informed our lady that we want to extend our lease for another three months, so what did she do, raised it 20%. We have been here for 18 months. Landlady, who is filthy rich ,informs us rents have increased, which they haven't. In my 14-years here I have found most landlords to be money hungry, even when wealthy. I have also had a few good landlords, but they were in the minority.

It's not true all the time, but I think it helps if the landlord is not "absentee".

In my three experiences with landlords here, they all lived either in the same house or next door.

Anyway it seems like the info in this thread might give you a good bargaining position, as I'm sure a significant number of foreign renters are going to be exiting your area soon.