Have a job Offer

Hi.I am an Engineer from India. I have an job offer in Muscat for 1100 RO per month. I will be coming there with my wife. Planning to rent 1BHK. I have 5years of in relevant experience. can anybody suggest about cost of living? Savings with this salary? Possibility of getting job for my wife who is an architect with 3yrs exp.

just keep in touch with this blog. you may get an answer to your question. congratulations on your job offer

Hi and welcome to the forum shetty2k3!

I hope other members will be able to help you soon.

Regards
Armand

Hello Shetty !

Let me give you the same answer which I gave Sandy too sometime back on this same site.

Anything above 1,500 rials in hand would be a decent salary for an average Indian expatriate.

How much of this one can save is entirely up to the person.  It will also depend on where you live, the type of your residence you prefer, the car you choose to drive, the school you want your kids to go to etc. In essence, you could save 1,000 rials a month, or end up borrowing 1,000 rials at the end of the month, depending entirely on your lifestyle !

The good news for you is that house rents are falling and falling rapidly, particularly in places like Muscat and Sohar which has a large concentration of Indian expatriates. The bad news is that many expatriates are heading back home as things have become difficult for them, because of the newly rejuvenated 'Omanisation'. Reason also why so many houses are available as compared to a few years back when house rents were going through the roof.

Getting a job for your wife may not be very easy given the present circumstances. However, I do not wish to discourage you even before you land here. You come and give it a try yourself.

You have not mentioned who will be paying your house rent - yourself, or your company. The average going rate of a good 1 bedroom apartment in a mostly Indian neighbourhood would be in the region of 275 - 350 rials.

The cost of living is relatively a little high. But that is how it is. Again, it all depends on your lifestyle, wants and needs.

According to me for 2 adults, leading a very normal lifestyle, living in a 1 bedroom apartment, without any extravagant entertainment expenditures, you should be able to easily save 50% of your salary.

Best wishes for a long and a happy stint in Oman !

cool

Hey, thnx a lot for ur replies. This employer will not give home rent. What I have got is the final offer. 1100RO per month. Is the situation is that bad that expats going back from oman?In India, I am earning 60k per month and my wife is working too. can anybody suggest about taking a call on this offer?I am not that guy who will have lavish life style.Indian middle class family guy.

Shetty, whatever may be the case, your saving potential in Muscat would be far better than it is in India. (That's the only reason why there are so many expatriates are already here !!).
Even if you are getting an all inclusive consolidated package, you can still save a substantial amount (I'm saying this after seeing the way you've described yourself).
Let's say house rent will be about 300 rials, rent-a-car a month about 200 (public transport is very inconvenient), living plus other expenses about 200 will still leave you with about 400 rials in hand. That is very good money to save given the exchange rate.
My advice to you would be see if you can keep a back-up plan for your job back home. Come here, try it out for a few months and see how it all goes for you personally. Then take a call on what you want to do.
Answering your question, yes, expatriates are leaving - for many reasons.
Best of luck to you.

Thank you Sumitran. Your answer was explicit, direct to the point and more of a piece of advice. Thank you again

Thanks Sumitran...I will update u abot my decision

@Shetty, do not neglect Sumitran's advice in the paragraph before the last one. It is very important

Best wishes and good luck for all expatriates here in Oman or outside of Oman ,welcom again in your second country.

Have a nice time

Regards
Ammar

DONT COME at all

omani wrote:

DONT COME at all

what happen for you dear why you say like that we are here to welcome to any body and i have to welcome you too in Oman!

"nice" first message by the way :/