Private Tuition

Dear All,

I have an offer from a company which is in Muscat. They are offering a salary of 750 OMR and medical insurance.

My question is apart from that job can i take home tuition there? What is the charges and is there ny consultancy in muscat which provides tuitions like that? My hobby is to teach maths to students of CBSE and ICSE boards here in India. Can i continue my hobby there?

pl help

Thanks

Hi saket26,

Omani Labour Laws are pretty strict in that they do not allow for an employment visa holder to do a second job. As per the rules, the expat employee can only work for the sponsor whose name is on the resident card, the one who has sponsored the expatriate.

So technically, you are disallowed from pursuing your hobby of providing private tuitions, which incidentally, is also a banned activity as per the law. However, for its copious financial gains, many school teaches still indulge in this pursuit to make, in most cases, even more money, than their monthly paid salaries.

Sumitran wrote:

Hi saket26,

Omani Labour Laws are pretty strict in that they do not allow for an employment visa holder to do a second job. As per the rules, the expat employee can only work for the sponsor whose name is on the resident card, the one who has sponsored the expatriate.

So technically, you are disallowed from pursuing your hobby of providing private tuitions, which incidentally, is also a banned activity as per the law. However, for its copious financial gains, many school teaches still indulge in this pursuit to make, in most cases, even more money, than their monthly paid salaries.

Is it a similar situation allover Middle East or there's flexibility somewhere?

Thanks Sumitran Sir.

Here in India lot of my students have qualified IIT and NIT exams and getting very good marks in subject like maths .So i though it could add values in Students curriculum where ever i go.

I am teaching from last 10 years and slowly slowly it became my hobby.

Lets c how scenario goes there.

saket26 wrote:

Thanks Sumitran Sir.

Here in India lot of my students have qualified IIT and NIT exams and getting very good marks in subject like maths .So i though it could add values in Students curriculum where ever i go.

I am teaching from last 10 years and slowly slowly it became my hobby.

Lets c how scenario goes there.

Hi saket26,

Happy to see your passion for teaching.

Like I mentioned earlier, many school teachers still continue to take private tuitions. I doubt if it is for the pleasure of teaching, or to add value to the students curriculum. The monies they make is quite phenomenal. This was discussed in the print media at some length when the ban was put in place in the not too recent past.

The reason private tuitions were categorically banned by the Ministry of Manpower was because, private tuitions in the houses of their regular class teachers sort of became a mandatory requirement for all students - if they hoped to score high marks in their regular class exams. It was hotly debated that even though a student was not studious or hardworking, he / she would be generously awarded marks, as long as they paid for their tuition classes - outside of the purview of the school.

Obviously, for the Ministry to put a blanket ban on all kinds of private / home tuitions there must have been some serious complaints from those parents whose children did not / could not pay large sums for these private tuitions. Only after proper investigations would the Ministry have declared private / home tuitions an illegal activity.

For teachers, home / private tuitions became a cash cow, as they were able to generate more than double / triple of what they were earning every month, as regular class teachers. Greed triumphed over duties and service. And it was greed which brought about their collective downfall. Well, at least officially.

Since making money is such an addictive habit, I am told that the teachers still continue to indulge in providing home / private tuitions in the sly, despite being fully aware of the law of the land which states that if caught, they will get fined, imprisoned, and once their prison sentence is served, would be deported back to their home countries, never to step into the Sultanate again.

While on the same subject, let me also inform you that the overall standards and quality of education imparted through the Indian Schools here in Oman is proven to be below par and substandard, compared to what students back home in India get.

Wow.

Kudos @ Sumitran.

This has been quite informative. Coz was thinking of having private tuitions for english. Of course to make some cash and also kill the boredom at hand.
Do not want to get on the wrong side of the law .

thanks alot.

Hello dear, Muscat is costly city , if u don't get company accommodation or hse rent then it shall be difficult for you. However, without family you maybe able to manage. Secondly, Oman has very strict rules about working, though people take unofficial tuition at home but there have been cases of raids n punishment as it is illegal. Till no one complains they don't bother you. But people can get jealous n report against you so you will just have to be careful.
Enjoy , Oman is a peaceful and safe country.
Regards

I am a science teacher