Expats separation in malta

My husband wants to separate.  One of many things really worrying me is the thought of being stuck here on the island indefinitely, not being able to leave with my son if I ever need to. He wants 50% custody at least. I know my son has a right to a relationship with him as much as possible and despite our differences he is a good father. We came so my husband could set up a branch of his business which he has done successfully and it is now the biggest of its kind on the island. We had always planned to stay  just a few years then move but now I feel so trapped thinking that me and my son will need to stay here indefinitely if his father decides things are going well. I am financially independent; thankfully and I work here. But if I lost my job it's highly unlikely I would be able to find something with the same salary as it is a senior role, the likes of which don't come up much. I need to know can anyone recommend a lawyer with experience in international family law to advise me how to protect myself and my son?  Is there anyone out there with similar experience?

Welcome to the Forum :)

I am sorry to hear the stress you must be going through right now. I can not recommend a lawyer but I can suggest you have a look HERE at the Business directory of the site.

Hi Bright Bug
i know how you feel im going through a divorce and have been for the last year and a half, one thing i will say from talking to others who are getting divorced here in malta

Is the fact you changed country's and the marriage was in both can complicate things ,  I came here to Malta after the separation so i do not have this problem.   

But i have been told it can get complicated if some of the marriage and assets are divided between UK and Malta and if some of the marriage takes place in UK and Malta, slightly different laws and rights.
I know at least two ppl who are caught in limbo with Uk court saying it should be resolved in Malta and Malta court saying it should be resolved in UK.         

If possible i would advise you try to meditate between yourselves and then have a contract brought up outlining what you have agreed and in a ideal world you will both stick to it..
Best of Luck.