Spiders

Am moving to DaNang Dec or Jan. Doing my research,getting prepared and such. I'd like a real answer on what to expect regarding the spider thing vietnam. Not much of a backpacker will do most of my living in western style apts in the larger cities. My questions is- how likely am I going to run into large spiders in my apartment(s)?  I'm getting answers from never see them to don't worry they eat the other bugs. Problem is no other bugs/ snakes bother me. Spiders make me incapable of functioning....sad- true and no amount of therapy will change it! Watched a vlog and the guys were in a nice hotel in DaNang city when damn there it was a big huntsman spider on the wall 5 young men screaming like little girls. So please weigh in ppl how often are you guys seeing these monsters? Please and thank you ❤️🤙🏻🍺

Lived here for ten years, and to be honest,only ever seen a big spider every so often.

I feel the same way about cockroaches. Man, I can't function around them. I'd take a spider over a roach any day! Bleghhhhhhhh!

My wife's attitude to spiders was "Kill, kill! Now!" When finally a huntsman spider did arrive in our house, I had to  carefully explain that it was a GOOD spider, did not spin webs, was harmless, and ate mosquitoes and flies. Even with that advice, I'm afraid they didn't last long, because my wife's regular mosquito spray regime is to spray enough poison to execute a convicted criminal. Sad, actually.
Don't worry about spiders, it's the motor bikes on the road that are more likely to do you in. Make sure you look BOTH ways before you step off the footpatho, so that those motos going the wrong way up the street at 40kmph don't get you.

Highly unlikely. I've been in tropical countries from F.N.Queensland to India, never saw spiders inside, but you always see lizards on the wall. My favorite part about the tropics. Geckos, size of your finger, but "don't worry they eat the bugs".

http://pixen.netlify.com/pix/gecko.jpg

Hello,

I'm not a backpacker either. I've been living in Ho Chi Minh City for 2.5 years. I'm not sure what type of spider it was but I did see (and kill) one large spider in the apartment building I stayed in when I first arrived. I haven't seen any large spiders since then (unless you count cockroaches as spiders, you're going to see a lot of those).

Gonna get me a bunch o'them!

(Even) backpacking, over the 4 years here, I have seen only
the odd one that you would expect to find anywhere.

But I come from a sub-tropical (Brisbane, Australia) environment
where Cockies, Red-Back and Huntsman (+ Geckos) often reach
plague? proportions.  Fumigation?  Forget it!   Back within days...

Although I'll admit  (objectivist observation)  to being pleasantly
surprised at how few there seem to be here in my travels through
Saigon, Hue and Hanoi  (+ Laos).   I doubt you will find different.     :top:

drutter wrote:

I'm not sure what type of spider it was but I did see (and kill) one large spider in the apartment building I stayed in when I first arrived. I haven't seen any large spiders since then (unless you count cockroaches as spiders, you're going to see a lot of those).

Do you think that maybe killing that spider could be why you have roaches now?  Maybe that spider was all that was keeping the roach population down to a reasonable level.

Living in Hanoi 5 years.. only once i did see ”big” spider in my garage.. and I take snakes any day over spiders 😂

Missjodi wrote:

Am moving to DaNang Dec or Jan. Doing my research,getting prepared and such. I'd like a real answer on what to expect regarding the spider thing vietnam. Not much of a backpacker will do most of my living in western style apts in the larger cities. My questions is- how likely am I going to run into large spiders in my apartment(s)? *snip*

I was stationed in Da Nang: on the airbase, outside town, and beyond the ridge line on a hilltop firebase.

I can't remember seeing one spider the whole time I was in country.

However, I'm going to guess that the video you saw was of a building with an exterior light. There's a LOT more of those in Da Nang these days.

The lights attract bugs, and the bugs attract spiders and lizards (and frogs, etc).

So, if you have your own balcony with a light source, just keep it turned off. Also, to keep that area clear at night, if you don't have curtains across your balcony glass door, you can invest in those to further reduce the light that attracts the bugs which attract the spiders.

Another trick I've used in a house that had multiple entryways (especially in summer, when spider populations are greatest):

To avoid having spiders waiting to welcome you at your door, keep a bright light on at the door you don't use. Bugs and spiders will congregate there, and you can use the light from your cellphone to unlock the other door and let yourself in, usually without hitchhiking spiders.

If you end up with spiders IN your apartment, it will likely be because you let them in, either through an open window or at the doorway when you are entering/leaving.

Cheers!

1. I'm no longer staying in the same place.
2. I see more in the street than I do in my house.
3. It's a tropical climate - after living 7 years in Hawaii I've gotten used to them.

Thank you for taking the time to reply on this topic. I love geckos. Was fascinated by them in Indonesia. We have all kings of lizards and salimanders where I come from in British Columbia. We also have very large spiders relatively speaking . 10 cm (palm size)  I think I am going to buy a non human eating kamodo dragon for a pet in hopes of reducing the arachnid problem.😊

Thank you for taking the time to reply. We have large spiders where I come from. British Columbia. But not like V N.  I think I might go out and find a Komodo dragon with a healthy appetite....for spiders ? I hate that it's even an issue. Thank you for your generous response. Info I will be sure to use.

Thank you for your service above all! ❤️

Komodo dragons are nasty beasts. They don't actually kill their prey themselves, they just bite their prey and the deadly bacteria in the dragon's saliva kills the prey for them. Slowly, painfully.  Dear me, is that the way you wish to die?

I'd go for the huntsman spiders.

A Komodo Dragon..?   A bit extreme..?   But given the thought..?

Even an Iguana (can) become aggressive, so may I suggest a Water
Dragon..?   They can become as affectionate as a dog, are (very) low
maintenance and would keep any angry arachnid out of your abode.

Another advantage over dogs is they can be left alone for a long time
and still show affection on your return.    Expert spider removalists.

Welcome to Utopia    :top:

Seriously going to look into iguana or the like for this. Heck I'll buy them bulk if I have to!!🦎Thanks for your input.

I used to have a cat that ate spiders.

Then again, I used to have a neighbor who ate cats, so there may not be a purrfect solution...

Hilarious 😂 I had a cat that ate spiders too. Even one I emptied half a can of raid on. Cat survived thank goodness. But it's not like I was going to wrestle it out of its mouth........

Bazza139 wrote:

But I come from a sub-tropical (Brisbane, Australia) environment
where cane toads, Cockies, cane toads, Red-Back and Huntsman (+ Geckos) and also cane toads often reach giant proportions.

FTFY

:o  Thanks; FTFT  (Forgot To Fix That)

Although, importing a pair might be difficult..?    :idontagree:

Be careful what you wish for; you might just get it...     :blink:

I'm at my In laws place in Dong Hoi and I finally saw my first Huntsman spider after 5 trips here.  They really are pretty rare, and I was assured by my wife with broken english and many laughs after she saw my "concern", that they are harmless.
I hoping to be in Da Nang next year too.  Enjoy

onceuponastage wrote:

I feel the same way about cockroaches. Man, I can't function around them. I'd take a spider over a roach any day! Bleghhhhhhhh!

:lol::top:

I had a place in East Texas that was ate up with spiders. Their favorite trick was to weave a web about head-high across the trails through the woods. Getting a web and big spider plastered across your face would set off a wild and frantic dance trying to get the damn thing off you.

Jim-Minh wrote:

Getting a web and big spider plastered across your face would set off a wild and frantic dance trying to get the damn thing off you.

Imagine how the spider feels.  He is fishing for flies and catches a whale sized monster.   :sosad:

Only seen one big eight legged freak, in Nha Trang. I was living for a few months on the ground floor of a lovely old colonial style place, lush tropical garden right outside my patio, all manner of critters lurking about.

Actually took my brain a few seconds to register this sizeable furry scuttler as a spider, the ones back in the UK don't amount to much. We looked at each other and came to a mutual understanding, me being at least as ugly as it, haha.

I love the little lizards here, I'd buy lizard food and raise my own fleet of them. But snakes I will kill on sight. Judge me all you like, I don't care, though luckily I have yet to encounter any.

how about nasties like scorpions & centipedes, I have crossed paths with them here  in Vietnam in the bed, ( Myriapod, Arachnida & even the human verity) which is the most dangerous & scary?? :o:dumbom:

Never seen any... maybe wice forgot to tell me, especially as she knows im terrified of them

Come across spiders occasionally , nothing a boot won't fix.
More concern is Scorpions, my wife was stung by one when handling a bag of vegetables a few months back.

Godammit I had forgotten that scorpions even existed, thank gents!  :sosad:

Brick23 wrote:

She got stung at home after already handling vegetables etc at the market. It was when she was unpacking the bags at home much later when she suddenly yelled when her hand was in the bag. I arrived in the kitchen just after a small black Scorpion exited the bag and ran across the floor. Luckily I was able to intercept it en-route to the bedroom.

Brick23 wrote:

When I lived out in the country scorpions were actually quite common & did come into the bedroom at least 3 times. Black ones did not seem to faze the wife much but small white ones she used to freak out!! One time a scorpion like the size of a small rat came in & I beat the shit out of it & it took some beating to kill it. I then looked at it & googled it & it was called a "whip tail Scorpion & was quite harmless they said!!!
Another time & in a good hotel Q1 Saigon, I was sort of drowsing & felt something crawling on my privates (not the wife) so put hand down to give it a scratch......WHAM!! searing pain down there & lept out of bed & there was a fn centipede had bit me right on the ball sack. blood everywhere. Wife came to the rescue & beat the bejesus out of it & came into the toilet to perform medical assistance to stop the bleeding. When we went back into the bedroom the thing had up & legged it. Wife found it half way up the curtain & this time made sure it was dead & flushed it down the toilet. That adventure still turns up in my dreams 10 years after!!
Dont even ask me about snakes when living out in the sticks, that's a whole different story.

Goes some way to explain why cats are very timid and shy away from human contact here.
Locals think im mad whenever i stop to stroke a cat...

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Goes some way to explain why cats are very timid and shy away from human contact here.
Locals think im mad whenever i stop to stroke a cat...

Dont think its to do with scorpions etc,  Its cos they know there's a good chance they will be on the menu here.

goodolboy wrote:
Brick23 wrote:

When I lived out in the country scorpions were actually quite common & did come into the bedroom at least 3 times. Black ones did not seem to faze the wife much but small white ones she used to freak out!! One time a scorpion like the size of a small rat came in & I beat the shit out of it & it took some beating to kill it. I then looked at it & googled it & it was called a "whip tail Scorpion & was quite harmless they said!!!
Another time & in a good hotel Q1 Saigon, I was sort of drowsing & felt something crawling on my privates (not the wife) so put hand down to give it a scratch......WHAM!! searing pain down there & lept out of bed & there was a fn centipede had bit me right on the ball sack. blood everywhere. Wife came to the rescue & beat the bejesus out of it & came into the toilet to perform medical assistance to stop the bleeding. When we went back into the bedroom the thing had up & legged it. Wife found it half way up the curtain & this time made sure it was dead & flushed it down the toilet. That adventure still turns up in my dreams 10 years after!!
Dont even ask me about snakes when living out in the sticks, that's a whole different story.

Had a dog & a snake fell into the new septic tank at the first new house I had built!! the tank was empty, we got the dog out but left the snake put!

Glad I live in the 20th floor.. less chance of spiders, snakes, scorpions.

Wife's house in Tay Ninh... Different story, told to check for snakes before getting in bed. Not sure why they saved that piece of Info until the last night before coming back to the city.

I would love a cat.. anyone needing to re-home one let me know. Black cat especially welcome

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Glad I live in the 20th floor.. less chance of spiders, snakes, scorpions.

Wife's house in Tay Ninh... Different story, told to check for snakes before getting in bed. Not sure why they saved that piece of Info until the last night before coming back to the city.

I would love a cat.. anyone needing to re-home one let me know. Black cat especially welcome

It was Tay Ninh that the scorpions in the bed room & the snake in the septic tank happened. :o well Trang Bang actually.

We had lots of cats & a couple of dogs in that house in the 5 years we lived there & all died horribly strange & mystery symptom deaths that my wife put down to snake bites!

Hmm might make more reluctant to go visit in laws in home town next time.

I hate them too..
Every other time I venture off to use the washroom at night, there are usually a few running for cover when the lights go on.
My fearless wife will stomp them with her bare feet...I use prefer to use a broom or shovel
I guess it's what you're used to

goodolboy wrote:

------------------------
Dear expat.com:
Please add a NSFW-equivalent label to mark stories sure to upset the majority urban expats who avoid dangerous jungle areas. Protect our forum safe space.
Any discussion about bed centipedes, scorpions in grocery bags, head-height spider webs, also household-pets-as-food wet markets, you know, basically any gruesome post, needs to be flagged:
Not Safe For Expats in Tropical Countries.
Thank you.  :(