School advice for Kuwait

Would love to hear on the schooling in Kuwait? Contents
Factors that can impact school admissions...any schools offer company debentures?

Are there any Barriers to entry into Schools in Kuwait? Is there a shortage of space in the International schools?

Is there a Selectivity of Admissions? or is it purely Merit based?

Where Do Corporate/ Expatriate Families Send their Children to School? Is it just the international schools?

Other Challenges & Considerations for Expatriate Families with regards to admissions?

Any ways on Improving Chances for school placement?

How are play dates arranged?

How important are after school clubs and sports? Do the schools participate in Sports leagues? Interschool? BSME?

There are a TON of international schools here of all varieties and flavors.  For english speakers there's easily 10+ british or american curriculum schools available.

There are some space problems (that is to say there is a finite amount of space the schools have) but we arrived at what is possibly the worst possible time for admission and still found two offers for placement for our oldest.

The way it generally works is you call the school(s) you like to set up an appointment for an interview for your child.  The kid meets with the principal or teacher at the assigned time, and the next day you get an offer for placement.

From there it's just a matter of paying the tuition and buying the uniforms.

New English School and The English School I think are the most often recommended.  American United School is, I think, the most expensive (but very new and nice).  Fahaheel English school is the highest recommended if you live super south (like me). 

Play dates are arranged by the parents once your kids start getting along with other kids in school (just like in the states).  I can't comment on after school activities as my kiddos are a bit young still.  That probably varies more by parents than it does by school (but I do believe my kid's school does have a sports league).  One of my british co-workers is constantly traveling with his kids for Rugby tournaments (he just got back from Dubai) so I think you can take sports as far as you like.  If the school doesn't have a sports team then chances are there's a club here that does.

Thanks so much. You've been so helpful.