New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

i have used and reccommended Far East dental in HCMC for many years. Not swanky premises etc but very qualified and friendly. NEVER any complaints.

Try Far East Dental in HCMC. Very good !

Hello
I am new to this site.
I have a plan to move to Saigon after married with my partner which is now working in Saigon.
I am working at the Bank now in commercial banking division as support for corporate customer (6 years experiences at bank)
I am looking for a job in Saigon so I can support my family after married.
I love makeup but I am not professional makeup artist.
I do love cook but I am not certified at cook.
And my English level just like this.
My mother language is Indonesian and I can say my Indonesian somehow is better than origin Indonesian people (my ethnic is Chinese)
With zero knowledge for Vietnamese.
Could you help to give advice or opportunity to get a job in Vietnam?
Looking forward for your help and thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, Xin chào câc bạn.
I am Allen and have not come to Việt Nam yet. I am still learning the language in a class out of HCMC. I wanted to prepare before i come over. At the present time I make donuts and study a lot. I will fill in many blanks over the next few weeks on my profile. I joined while i was at work and will fill in more as time permits. I have many friends there and am looking to find a decent career there.

Hi Deborah, can you share your work samples?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. What are some good places to meet expats in Saigon?

RickQ wrote:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. What are some good places to meet expats in Saigon?

Depends what you are into. If you like socializing, try some of the bars. If sport is more your thing join some of the sports groups that many expats are involved in.

Hello everyone!My name is Tadas and I've moved to Hanoi just a few days ago in order to explore the opportunities of English teaching jobs.It happens so that soon I'll be relocating to Ha Long Bay and I would be more than happy to get to meet someone from that area :) Have a peaceful evening!

Hi there guys and girls. I have been working in health and safety - I have a degree, numerous qualifications and ten years experience, and I have been thinking about moving to Vietnam for some time as I have travelled a lot over the years and I've grown bored of the United Kingdom.
I have one question - the language barrier - I cannot speak anything other than English - will this be a major hurdle?
And also, I've read posts that suggest travelling to the country first then looking for work - is this wise?

Hi ! Teaching English is your best work opportunity. And as a native speaker you are sought after. :-) I would advise you to at least complete a TEFL course, although you can get work without a qualification.

Regards

Mike

hi i am from india, i am running my export business of agricucture products, i want to set a busineess in vietnam, so need to come

Hi everyone. Lived in Saigon for a few years now. My partner and I sell Vietnamese clothing (ao dai) and we also have serviced apartments  in binh thanh district. Looking forward to sharing information with everyone here.

colinoscapee wrote:
RickQ wrote:

Depends what you are into. If you like socializing, try some of the bars. If sport is more your thing join some of the sports groups that many expats are involved in.

I like to meet entrepreneur expats in Saigon. What some specific places or forum I can go to meet such people? Thanks!

Hi I'll be arriving in Saigon in a couple of weeks, so just having a look around.  I've got a Job and Apartment to come to in District 2.  I am looking for a Cat though !

Hey
I just moved to HCMC yesterday and living in District 2. Hope to meet new friends and make life interesting.
Hope you can be a friend of mine. Please reply.

Cheers.

There are always people on the various fb groups looking for adoptive 'parents' for kittens they've found. Feel free to pm me if you need any more information. I'm not an expert on cats as such, but i've lived in Vietnam a few years.

Lots of bars around thao dien if that's your thing

deleted

Generally speaking I wouldn't recommend packing up your life and looking for work once you arrive, especially in a field where it will probably be more difficult to find work than English teaching for example. If no one offers any firsthand advice here, perhaps you could contact some companies that work in construction etc. directly and see what opportunities there are.

Hi everyone,
My Name is Henry Pham, Moved to Vietnam 12 months ago looking for new opportunities and experiences. Looking forward to assist and add value where i can and also help when needed.
thanks,

Hey chanz,

hope you enjoy vietnam. Know exactly how you might be feeling. I was the same 12 months ago.

Good luck!

Hey Thanks for yout reply Trinsky. The bar is notmy thing :( Will see whether there's anyone free for a coffee at leaset. :)

Hi,

My name is Kay, my husband and I are considering living part-time in Vietnam when we retire. We have planned a two week visit over Christmas/New Year 2018/19 in Hanoi and Nha Trang to get familiar.

Would appreciate any tips on areas we should be checking out around Hanoi and Nha Trang and any good spots we might catch up with some expats to chat with.

thanks
Kay

Hi all, I'm an expat from Singapore, based in Phan Thiet (Binh Thuan province). Will be looking for long-term studio or shared apartment rental. Do PM me if you have any leads.

Best you contact a local agent.

Hi Peeps
My name is Matt. I;m from Melbourne, Australia. I'm a Viet Kieu. I've been back to Vietnam a few times but it was last visit that made me fall in love with the country. I saw the potential of what this great country can achieve given its past. I am currently working at a bank but also study to obtain my English teaching certificate. I hope to move there and teach English. Maybe live there for a year. Hope to meet cool people and set up a network. I enjoy playing music so would love to go there and play some open mic acoustic gigs or set up a band and play.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Cheers

Matt

Good day all

My name is Debbie, i Joined a few weeks back but have not introduced myself yet.

Im moving to Hanoi in September and will be staying with my daughter to begin with but hope to move south after a few months after finding my feet.

Im going to be doing online teaching as well as  offering personal Guided tours to South African woman wishing to travel to Vietnam on their own.

Hi, everyone.
I am thinking of moving to Hanoi and seeking information to help me out on starting a small restaurant/pub.
It would be really nice to get first hand info from experienced people already living in Vietnam.

Hi Mei! I saw your post in the forum, I can see its from January, but I am also looking for a church group, did you have any luck?
My name is Julianne , 27 years old from Norway. I am new in my faith and really wished we had Hillsong etc here in HCM. if you are interested in meeting up some time for coffee I would love a new friend :)

- Julianne

Hi, saw your post just now.  I am Christian from Dallas.  My church, Fellowship Dallas does a streaming service at 11:00am Sunday morning Dallas time.  That would be 11:00 in the evening, Sunday Sai Gon time.  Here's a link: 

https://fellowshipdallas.org/

Click on "more" and scroll down to 'live'

Welcome to Viet Nam.
Ken

Hello Hartmad1966,

My name is Kay, my husband and I are considering living part-time in Vietnam when we retire. We have planned a two week visit over Christmas/New Year 2018/19 in Hanoi and Nha Trang to get a feel for the two places as a start.

Would love to hear you opinion of Hanoi and any considerations / tips you may  have after being there for a few months.

Hoping we can stay in touch?

Hey I am Tyler and currently based out of St. Paul, Minnesota. Will be moving to Saigon November 1st and looking to meet a few expats and locals who could walk me through the day to day. I have a friend who is currently there and has been staying in SE Asia for the last 8 years.

As a chef I am looking to get over there and see what i can do with my craft in Saigon. Looking through multiple searches and articles I don't see a food scene or scene for chefs in particular (could be a western thing) so I am hoping to turn that around and do what I love out there!

Haven't been to Ha Noi, have been to Nha Trang, but just to a beach resort.  Really can't say.

Hello, Waiman (sounds like “why man?” here 😀
I am from Singapore and had been in Vietnam on 30-day visas over a year. I met and married my Vietnamese here last year. Now I have a 6-month visa. I am applying for a local driver license. A lot of experiences to share about these procedures that my wife imparted to me. Vietnam is opening up for foreign investors and retirees. Foreigners can now buy apartments formipmto 90 lease.
Hope to learn from everyone here too. Best wishes 🙏

Hi Julianne,

It's nice to know you and I'm new to HCMC and this is my 4th week here. Im at D2 and came for work and love to have new friends. If interested please let me know. We can have a coffee together. 

Cheers.

HELLO MY name is Samar.
I am from Pakistan .
I am making plan to go Vietnam.

Hello all, My name is Autumn.  I came from Vermont back in the US.  I have been in Vietnam for about 2 weeks now.  I teach English in D7.  Wow, the humidity is crazy here.  I am not used to this heat at all.  I was in Phnom Penh Cambodia for a month taking my TESOL course then came over here to get a job.  I am loving the city but finding it hard to meet people as I am not a drinker or a bar person.  I also trying to find a place to live.  I want a place for 3 months right now and I'm not sure if I'm better off getting a one bedroom on my own or finding a room with someone.  I want to stay in D7 so I'll be closer to work.  Any suggestions?

autumn1025 wrote:

Hello all, My name is Autumn.  I came from Vermont back in the US.  I have been in Vietnam for about 2 weeks now.  I teach English in D7.  Wow, the humidity is crazy here.  I am not used to this heat at all.  I was in Phnom Penh Cambodia for a month taking my TESOL course then came over here to get a job.  I am loving the city but finding it hard to meet people as I am not a drinker or a bar person.  I also trying to find a place to live.  I want a place for 3 months right now and I'm not sure if I'm better off getting a one bedroom on my own or finding a room with someone.  I want to stay in D7 so I'll be closer to work.  Any suggestions?

You can try Craiglist Viet Nam, it has a share room section.

Thank you.  Perfect I'll check it out.

autumn1025 wrote:

... I want a place for 3 months right now and I'm not sure if I'm better off getting a one bedroom on my own or finding a room with someone.  I want to stay in D7 so I'll be closer to work.  Any suggestions?

One suggestion if you don't speak Vietnamese is to head over to Skygarden next to Vivo. It is surrounded by shops, and many more shops inside along the outdoor mall. Among the shops are dozens of real estate offices. They can find you serviced apartments in the area. Try a couple offices until you can find one that speaks English well enough. Also some offices manage rentals for owners, thereby having exclusive listings, so it pays to try several.

Closed