Cam Ranh Bay retirement

I need a contact in CRB to help plan my relocation. I wish to immerse myself in language and cultural study as well as the promotion of CRB for business and tourism.
Can someone please provide the best link for Khanh Hoa Province
and CRB life as it is today?
I currently live in Austin, Texas and want to be prepared to move by September.

Thank you for your consideration,

[email protected]

Hi carlmiller1944,

as you not state here in public, what you really want to know, I will give you public the hard/bad news. For the remainder, you not say yet, you either place them or ask them in a PM.

- Cam Ranh is a caff, small and barely anything there - which will support you to survive as foreigner longer than a week, with a horrible traffic dividing it.

- almost no rentals
- no public offices
- no expat community

If you not speak Vietnamese, you are about to pick a hard time.
From the 44, I carefully assume, you are borne I the 40's and not just 44 - no problem by weather and natural beauty - if the trash is cleared before the photo shooting

- you want to consider access to medical facilities
- you will need good access to public offices ( visa, driving license, residence), either you a huge money- you might need public office alt least every three month or you pay a high price ans you have at least ones a week a 2 day trip
- you also want to consider the immigration rules, applying for Vietnam, which makes foreign residence to a quite lengthy and hurdled task.

I would strongly advise you, if not have done yet:
- make a few visits there ( is just one hour away from here)
- attempt to stay longer, each time - you will find the find the hurdles affecting you personally
- make some friends onsite (it will be even harder due to low expat community there)

Send a pm, if you want to know some things in detail, which you might not want to place public here.

Hello Carl,

It is good to see you on here.  How was Christmas?  So you now decided to come and live in Vietnam, huh?  Cam Ranh, too?

But, l3ully is absolutely right, Carl:  In Vietnam, the further you go away from the big cities, the harder things get--medical facilities will become less suitable, administrative matters will get more complicated, the people will more often act in unfamiliar ways...  Plus, Cam Ranh, granted that it has some good beaches however, it is better known for its military installations, not a host town for foreign visitors.

If I were you, I would fly to Saigon, stay there for about a week, to familiarize myself with some of the customs here; some can really shock a first time visitor.  Then, go to Cam Ranh and learn about the place, first hand.  If I like it, stay a little longer.  But, if not, I would get back to Saigon and regroup. 

I was borned in Can Tho, still had some family and friends here, but it took me 3 trips (a total of about 7 months), before I became comfortable enough to move here. 

Another thing is the Vietnamese immigration laws, you might want to look into that a little more.  From what I know, if a foreigner is not working or investing here, they will only issue him a tourist visa, which is only good for 3 months.  He can extend that twice.  But, that process can get quite problematic, especially in the smaller cities/town; it requires a Vietnamese national to sponsor him.  After that, he must leave the country, even if it is only for one day, then come back.  Look into this really good, Carl.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line.  I will be more than glad to help.

Howie

My fiance lives in Nha Trang so everytime I visit I must fly into CRB.  The trip by car from CRB airport to downtown Nha Trang is about a half hour.  The first half of the trip is thru deserted land with signs saying resorts will be built.  There is no housing.  Others have already mentioned about medical services, which is not as good as what you will find in Saigon.  If you like the CRB area, consider Nha Trang.

BEFORE you even make plans, you need to visit the country. You might suffer financial and other losses if you simply dispose of your assets and think everything will be hunky-dory.

First of all, you are talking immigration, you can't simply move in and set up camp. Just as the U.S.A. has strict rules on entering the country - and the purpose of your visit - VietNam, too, has rules and regulations. Some will tell you it's an open door!

Furthermore, because of the increasing abuse by visitors who work without a Work Permit along with increased crime by visitors from certain countries new rules came into effect 2012 JAN 01 the full ramifications of which are yet to be determined. Get a Business visa - the San Fran VN Consulate is very helpful - which is for investors and helps open doors. Often consulates can give you useful contacts in provincial governments.

You don't indicate your age but if you fought in the American War in VietNam be prepared for a big shock. Given that over 50%  of the VN population has been born since 1975, they know little about what happened and care even less, being more concerned with the latest trends in motorcycles, music, fashion and cell phones.

The joint use airport Nha Trang changed and it is now military only. The airport at Cam Ranh Bay is now wholly civilian use and is referred to as Nha Trang airport. It is a $2 odd bus ride from Nha Trang.

As others have indicted, CRB is a bit basic (my wife comes from CRB and owns a m/hotel there) and there is little land available since Viet Kieu have staked out all of the best locations. If you don't want shoreline there are more choices. The infrastructure is much improved - new major roads and a complete upgrade of the electrical grid.

This is in addition to the fact that Foreigners can only acquire Land User Certificates in HCMC, Da Nang and Ha Noi (at present). People can only lease land in this country - the land is owned by the nation.

Furthermore, there is a heavy military presence in CRB. The U.S. built a magnificent submarine base there and after winning the war, the Vietnamese rented the place to the Russians. When the Russians couldn't afford the rent, the VN Navy took over.

Cam Ranh Bay is VN enclave, few Foreigners and definitely unattractive - even to Vietnamese who live there. It reminds me of a gas stop in a remote part of Texas or Arizona. Development is just starting up.

Depending on what part of 'tourism' you intend to get involved in you might find you have to obtain bonding or even get a VN university degree and/or speak Vietnamese. All legal tour guides need at least two languages and a degree. Travel agents and Tour Ops have to get VNAT bonding for $15,000.

Investing in VietNam is fraught with difficulties and many have lost fortunes here.

Every province has a web site - many are bilingual - advertising what they offer to visitors and tourists alike. See: .

On the LH side of the web site you will see an item marked Investment, this will give you an idea where the province wants to head. These guys can help guide you and if they are with your proposals can make the way easy.

Mr. Miller,

You're old enough to decide what you want to do.  It sounds to me like you've thought long and hard about it and just want some advice about the area.  Some of the advice offered is real good, like be careful with your money.  The rest of the gloom and doom that's spelled out is laughable!

If you want to come to Vietnam, you will have ZERO trouble obtaining a 3 month visa.  My advice would be to fly into Cambodia, where you should be able to get at least a 6-month, if not a one year business visa.

Coming to Saigon first, then stay in Nga Trang while you scout.
You could find a place to stay out there though.  I've lived in remote parts of Vietnam, where I was the only pale face within 50 miles AND my Vietnamese is horrendous  Somehow I survived, so I'm sure you could too!

I can help you when you arrive in Saigon, and may even interested in taking a look around up there at Cam Rahn.  I want to pick a spot to watch from when the USS George Washington comes sailin' back in.  I'd also like to see it before it's knee deep in sailors!

WideAwake wrote:

Mr. Miller,
... My advice would be to fly into Cambodia, where you should be able to get at least a 6-month, if not a one year business visa. ...

One big problem, there are no long haul flights in to Cambodia, you have to use Bangkok, SaiGon or Singapore.

And that's ignoring the fact you would have to buy a visa for Cambodia (although they would like the money)!

Just fly in direct to SaiGon as most people do, United has flights here and bankrupt American Airlines code shares via Japan.

Jaitch wrote:
WideAwake wrote:

Mr. Miller,
... My advice would be to fly into Cambodia, where you should be able to get at least a 6-month, if not a one year business visa. ...

One big problem, there are no long haul flights in to Cambodia, you have to use Bangkok, SaiGon or Singapore.

And that's ignoring the fact you would have to buy a visa for Cambodia (although they would like the money)!

Just fly in direct to SaiGon as most people do, United has flights here and bankrupt American Airlines code shares via Japan.

You have been here too long Mr. Peabody.

http://www.kayak.com/#flights/LAX-PNH/2012-02-14

That's LA to Taipei to Phnom Penh.  There are very few direct flights to HCMC from America and even those stop for fuel in Manilla.  The ones I've taken stopped in Japan, or South Korea.

The visa is about $20 and it's easy to get.  The 1 year Vietnamese visa is between $250 to $300.  So if you want a 1 year visa, go to Cambodia first..right Jaitch?

As I said Mr. Miller, I'm willing to assist if you decide to come and I'm still here.  I'm not planning to go anywhere, so I should be.

Flights from SIN, BKK, HKG, TPE, MAN are all classified as regional. Long-haul are flights across the Pacific or to Europe.

TPE is a transfer+wait period. If the OP flies to Cambodia he will pay $30 for Cambo visa and likely stay over at least one and possibly two nights before heading for VN. Hardly the optimum routing, plus he'll have a short flight cost in to SGN.

Kayak is a biased planner, better to use Amadeus or Sabre, they have all the flights. Even USA>>BKK would cut the visa wait to one night. And the BKK>>SGN flight would be part of the trans-Pacific fare making it cheaper.

Maybe you didn't know our company transmits fare sheets to travel agents so we get to know the deals early. We also have Sabre Res software on a computer in the office. We can actually book our flights directly with a GDS.

VN Airlines does long-haul non-stop in to VN from the US and Europe. Only drag is they have stupid baggage allowances.

I think the difference is that I've been here twenty years and would never claim to know everything about VN whereas some people who have been here a couple or three years ...

Cambodia is of course an option to get a one year visa. However, from recent posts I've read on another website indicators are that in less you already have at least one, six month visa already in your passport the best they can do is give a three or six month visa. Why? Beats the hell out of me. I would suggest Carl that rather than screwing around with another Country to get your first visa, do a VOA and get a three or six month visa multi entry at TSN. I'd post the website for the visa on arrival (VOA) application, and where I got the info about Cambodia but it's easy enough to do a Google search . However if you really want it PM me.

Again with the reference to your supposed 20 years in country.  I'm giving you the golf clap now.  So impressive!

I thought you would debate the availability of the visas, but you chose the routing???  If you know so much, why haven't you offered up that little nugget of visa information?  Stick to writing about how to avoid dysentery, or something like that.  You're no good at that either, but you'll do less harm.  You can find some good things to copy and paste on this site:

thingstocopyandpaste.com

Budman, I have a friend who flew in to PP in September and got a 1 year, with no previous Vietnamese visas in his passport.  I've heard of others coming away with a 6 month, though.  I think you just need the right agent. 

He probably is better off coming into Saigon first, but 3 months is the longest he'll get, unless things change by then, which they probably will.  I just offered a suggestion, knowing that the resident expert on nothing would hop on it.

The O/P, who like many others who have ventured into this pit of despair, seems to have been scared away.

P.S.  Is the American Airlines comment supposed to make me mad?  Surely you can do better than that!  Interesting to see you taking delight in something that is costing so many people their jobs.  Actually...it's not that surprising, given the source.

As to Visas - I know some people, who came back with a 1-year, others with a 1/2 year others only with a single month from PP.
A few of the longer Visas, not all, where also reduced at VN entry to 1 or 3 month. The full mix of all did happen to Americans, French, German, some with a first and some with repeated Visa.
Therefore I would consider PP not as sure place for a 6 Month or longer Visa.
According to rumors, I heard that limitations already existing, will get enforced : B3 Visa shall become standard as none tourist visa, extendable maximal 2 times, each term 3 month.
After that, you either have your paperwork for residence done or have to leave for 3 month.
Tourist Visa - 1 month with a max of 2 extensions, after that, only exit.
As this info is from a source, I consider quite competent, I would suggest, whoever applies for a B3(Business visa)carefully to check very careful on the conditions, when it comes to renewals.

l3ully wrote:

As to Visas - I know some people, who came back with a 1-year, others with a 1/2 year others only with a single month from PP.
A few of the longer Visas, not all, where also reduced at VN entry to 1 or 3 month. The full mix of all did happen to Americans, French, German, some with a first and some with repeated Visa.
Therefore I would consider PP not as sure place for a 6 Month or longer Visa.
According to rumors, I heard that limitations already existing, will get enforced : B3 Visa shall become standard as none tourist visa, extendable maximal 2 times, each term 3 month.
After that, you either have your paperwork for residence done or have to leave for 3 month.
Tourist Visa - 1 month with a max of 2 extensions, after that, only exit.
As this info is from a source, I consider quite competent, I would suggest, whoever applies for a B3(Business visa)carefully to check very careful on the conditions, when it comes to renewals.

Maybe.  I know a few people that would disagree, since they just got theirs within the past few weeks.

I'm out of this conversation, but not before I point out 2 things:

1.) The O/P is a businessman and potential investor (business visa???).

2.) The crackdown wasn't targeting English teachers, or investors!

I'm glad I got a work permit though.  I don't have to worry about it!

WideAwake wrote:

P.S.  Is the American Airlines comment supposed to make me mad?  Surely you can do better than that!  Interesting to see you taking delight in something that is costing so many people their jobs.  Actually...it's not that surprising, given the source.

My employer belongs to a travel trade association and we are obligated by their rules to identify potential travel risks.

American Airlines, being in bankruptcy, has special rules applying to ticketing, baggage, etc. Travel insurers have also increased their premiums for AA.

If you want to protect your travel money, use a bonded travel agent. On-line res systems aren't bonded and you have little recourse. Read their terms and conditions.

Personally, your mental state has absolutely no interest to me.

Jaitch wrote:

Personally, your mental state has absolutely no interest to me.

*Yawns and scratches self* 

I placed a hex on American when they damaged my luggage and refused to admit fault.  Maybe I'm responsible for their misfortune?