New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Welcome to the Expat group mate I am not there yet but hope to be in 2019 and will catch up with you .
Cheers
David

More than welcome boet!

Safe travels.

12061992JAyden wrote:

Also would like to buy a motorbike while living there, preferably a manual (Honda 150cc +)

I forget all the details, but the VN driver's license for a bike less than 150cc is a lot easier to obtain.  Although Ha Long may be better than Hanoi or HCMC, the stop and go traffic of the major cites is exceptionally hard on clutches.  Plus feathering your clutch for hours can be a real pain.  I have had larger bike owners tell me that their clutches last only about a year.

THIGV wrote:
12061992JAyden wrote:

Also would like to buy a motorbike while living there, preferably a manual (Honda 150cc +)

I forget all the details, but the VN driver's license for a bike less than 150cc is a lot easier to obtain.  Although Ha Long may be better than Hanoi or HCMC, the stop and go traffic of the major cites is exceptionally hard on clutches.  Plus feathering your clutch for hours can be a real pain.  I have had larger bike owners tell me that their clutches last only about a year.

Maybe I get lucky and the company I work for will organize something for me. Will see once I am there and shop around - always a helping hand along the way.

Mostly using the bike in Ha Long to get to work and then on off days/holidays travel to some towns.

Will see how it goes and I will just have to take what I get.. Housing is more important in any case :)
thanks

Hello,

I've been looking around the site, and I'm really liking what I see.  There seems to be a lot of helpful advice, and I'm very glad to have found it.

My wife and I are planning to retire in a year or two,  (we'll be 40 then) and Vietnam is at the top of the list.  We spent a month going from north to south in Feb 2017 and loved everything about it.

Two concerns I do have:
1.  Visas for Canadians. Is 3 months really the max?  If so, is it simple like popping over to Cambodia for the weekend? (We knew some expats in Taiwan who had to fly to HK every few months when we lived there)
2. Driving scooters.  We are both comfortable doing so (2 years experience in Taiwan) but I'm having trouble finding out how insurance and licencing is done in Vietnam.  The Taiwan system for foreigners was to just bribe your way out of a bad situation since international permits expired after 3 months and none of us had insurance.
-Is getting a local licence and local insurance a thing that people do?  Or is it just "coffee money"? ;)

Thanks!

Thom79 wrote:

Hello,

I've been looking around the site, and I'm really liking what I see.  There seems to be a lot of helpful advice, and I'm very glad to have found it.

My wife and I are planning to retire in a year or two,  (we'll be 40 then) and Vietnam is at the top of the list.  We spent a month going from north to south in Feb 2017 and loved everything about it.

Two concerns I do have:
1.  Visas for Canadians. Is 3 months really the max?  If so, is it simple like popping over to Cambodia for the weekend? (We knew some expats in Taiwan who had to fly to HK every few months when we lived there)
2. Driving scooters.  We are both comfortable doing so (2 years experience in Taiwan) but I'm having trouble finding out how insurance and licencing is done in Vietnam.  The Taiwan system for foreigners was to just bribe your way out of a bad situation since international permits expired after 3 months and none of us had insurance.
-Is getting a local licence and local insurance a thing that people do?  Or is it just "coffee money"? ;)

Thanks!

Yes

..seconded...     :idontagree:

Hi Everyone,

Thom79 and I are both Canadian and enjoy traveling.  We lived in Taiwan teaching English in our twenties, have visited various countries for vacations. We are fascinated with experiencing new locations, especially when it is a -30 Celsius winter. Our last trip was 49 days to 6 countries.

We are looking to move to Vietnam. My husband and I traveled there for 22 days and loved the people, their culture and the climate. We were already very fond of the food.
We enjoyed the mid-coastal cities of Vietnam but we are going back to explore the south better as well as the interior. Hoping to return this winter to start the process of choosing where we want to start up :)

We are very good at exploring and look forward to all bits and pieces of info we can digest. This site has a great user friendly feel and I am enjoying the humor and all the posts . I look forward to joining in!

Hi there, re. licences, you can legally drive here on your International Licence since 2016. Eg. if you have a full motorbike licence in your home country, you can ride a motorbike here (maybe limited to less than 175cc, but that's a bit of the law that I can't seem to get a clear answer on). However, police will drag out old legislation and show you that, and if you are at the side of the road, stopped and they have have something of yours (keys, or passport, or licence if you have handed that over), you're not in a good position to be debating the law.  Especially if you don't have any Vietnamese language. To avoid this, if you have a visa for three months or longer, you can apply for and receive a Vietnamese licence. Most people don't bother, but it's easy and costs VND135,000. Just follow the instructions about getting a notorised translation of your home licence from a Notary Public here and fill the simple form to take to the Intl Licence issuing place. You'll need to do it each time your visa expires, but if you have [say] a six month visa, you'll get the licence for six months. You don't always get all the classes that you have on your home licence and it's a bit random, for example I do have a full motorbike licence from my home country, but Vietnam have decided that my Vietnamese licence will say that I can drive a motorbike of up to 175cc only.  Maybe because I'm a woman and I'm clearly not capable of riding anything bigger :).

Kalangadoo wrote:

Hi there, re. licences, you can legally drive here on your International Licence since 2016. Eg. if you have a full motorbike licence in your home country, you can ride a motorbike here (maybe limited to less than 175cc, but that's a bit of the law that I can't seem to get a clear answer on). However, police will drag out old legislation and show you that, and if you are at the side of the road, stopped and they have have something of yours (keys, or passport, or licence if you have handed that over), you're not in a good position to be debating the law.  Especially if you don't have any Vietnamese language. To avoid this, if you have a visa for three months or longer, you can apply for and receive a Vietnamese licence. Most people don't bother, but it's easy and costs VND135,000. Just follow the instructions about getting a notorised translation of your home licence from a Notary Public here and fill the simple form to take to the Intl Licence issuing place. You'll need to do it each time your visa expires, but if you have [say] a six month visa, you'll get the licence for six months. You don't always get all the classes that you have on your home licence and it's a bit random, for example I do have a full motorbike licence from my home country, but Vietnam have decided that my Vietnamese licence will say that I can drive a motorbike of up to 175cc only.  Maybe because I'm a woman and I'm clearly not capable of riding anything bigger :).

No need to be carrying your passport,and never give it to a traffic cop. If they have pulled you over for no reason, and you have a valid license and insurance, just ignore them and they will go away. I usually take my phone out and start saying their badge number into my phone, (learn VN numbers), this stops them in their tracks as they know they are shaking you down over nothing.

Excellent advice. Take out the keys and put them in your pocket too :).

Hi all South Africans living in Ha Long Bay...  My hubby & I are travelling to Ha Long Bay with a strong possibility of relocating.

We would love to make new friends with other expats who can give us details of the day-to-day  atmosphete & cost of living over there.

Regards, Brad & Zoe

hi, we are a pakistani young couple moved to HCMC we have a 1 year old baby . i am working for a bank. looking to network and make new friends. any pakistani families out there please give us a shout :) would be good to connect

Hey everyone! I'm Abbie.

So my boyfriend will be relocating in Vietnam on January next year and I am in full hope that I could also land a job there. I'm not doing this for him though, as some would say it might be too immature. I am only taking this as an opportunity to since I firmly believe that with the quality of opportunity offered overseas, I can properly enhance my capability and widen my knowledge with the field I have started my experience with.

Well I hope everything works out with everyone!

Congratulations Abbie!

"I am only taking this as an opportunity to since I firmly believe that with the quality of opportunity offered overseas, I can properly enhance my capability and widen my knowledge with the field I have started my experience with"

The opportunities are only limited by your imagination...

..and an open mind opens more doors than a fixed focus...

Trust me; You will do well...      :top:

Bazza139 wrote:

Yes

Bazza139 wrote:

Congratulations Abbie!

"I am only taking this as an opportunity to since I firmly believe that with the quality of opportunity offered overseas, I can properly enhance my capability and widen my knowledge with the field I have started my experience with"

Trust me; You will do well...      :top:

I opened a lot of doors when working as a doorman at a hotel.

Hey everyone!

I am Jennica but everyone calls me Jenn  :cheers: 

Feb. 2019 I am planning on moving out to Hanoi for a six-month solo conquest adventure. I'll officially be old (27 in Feb! Eek!) I was originally planning to take my TEFL course with my sister but unfortunately, she decided not to join after all. Honestly, I want to throw up in my mouth a little from the thought of travelling from Canada to Vietnam by myself. I am reluctant to admit it, but I have anxiety and my thoughts run rampant against my skull with all the negative outcomes. The travel part scares me immensely... like having to switch planes from Taiwan or Seoul to get to Hanoi.

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with delays and language barriers in airport terminals? I will probably have a beer or four on the plane to chill the heck out but that will probably cause more issues in the long run, haha.

Regardless, I am extremely excited to be immersed in another culture and experience life from a brand new perspective. I would love to meet other wonderful people while in Hanoi. Just imagine the feeling of actually being alive... no longer just existing in this mundane life. Getting out of my secluded comfort zone will be a challenge, but I will try to be regular human whatever the definition of that is   :cool:

I apologize for the long introduction and thank you for reading.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Before anything, consider this.... most people have normal lives, 2.4 kids, a long retirement, them Poof, you're dead.
Be abnormal and really live yours.

Fred's advice is (as usual) correct, gained by experience: as you will too.

Canada to Viet Nam?   A small step for any human, but the trials & tribulations
of travel continue to cause us all more than anxiety; frustration being foremost...

The drudgery of difficulties in delays and diversions are well known, so just follow
the herd and (pretend) you know nothing.   Their staff suffer too, so they will want
only to help you on your way.   Generally.   Tolerance & Patience are prerequisites.

Sure it's exciting.   Better when you get here.   English speakers are predominant
and/or body language can fudge the most foolish.  Stay calm and rational.

But I bet those are the only negatives you'll find.   The positives are overwhelming
(and new ones pop up continually)    The excitement of living in Utopia..?

Well, it is for me...     :cool:

Dont be too nervous.

The unknown is one of the most exciting things you can ever experience.🙄

Take your time when you arrive here, relax, and take it all in.😴

JennMorr wrote:

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with delays and language barriers in airport terminals?

English is spoken in all international airports.  Show your ticket to the desk agents at your transit airport, they will tell you where to go.  Then check the departure boards along the way if you're in doubt. 

Ask your hotel for airport pick up in Hanoi.  It'll cost more than taxis but it'll save you from dealing with rogue drivers.

There won't be any language barrier in large cities or cities with tons of tourists coming and going daily.  I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Hi
We are coming to Vietnam in December, Spending a week in HCMC before travelling to Nha Trang where we plan on spending the winter. Any suggestions on hiking groups expat activities for Christmas and New years.
John and Helen

Hi, have just joined the forum. Looking at coming over again in November fo 2 weeks to sort out some accomodation when I arrive in February for 4months. I have visited Vietnam 5 times now and I'm looking to relocate to Vung Tau

Hi!
My name is Alexa, i'm from US, starting in Vietnam this sunday!

Hi all, I'm looking to move to HCMC and do some ESL teaching. I've been traveling and working on a harvesting crew in the USA since 2014. I am currently looking for a teaching job so any links or contacts will be appreciated. I'll be reading through other forums to pick up some tips too. thanks n cya!

Hi everyone, my name is Thibault, I'm french and moved to Da Lat a month ago for work and supposedly for long term ! So far despite the weather the first 2/3 weeks, I like being here, just need to get to know the place and the people better.

I'm glad I have found this forum, got a lot of questions so I'll take a look at the previous topics first.

Have a good day y'all

Hello, my name is Charmaine. My husband and I are new to Vietnam. Left South Africa 11th August. We've spent a few days in Bangkok, Ho Chi Min City, Vung Tau, Dalat and now in Danang where we're hoping to settle down for about 1 year. We've really enjoyed the experience thus far except the humidity. We absolutely love Danang and will appreciate any info or direction regarding rental accommodation. Thanking you in advance.

I am an  enterprenuer and living now in Hanoi with my new born baby girl, i am passionate about fish farming and the potiential of growing it big. I have full knowledge from almost all types of fish ( Tropical ornamental to commercial fish )

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Please drop an advert in the classifieds under the Business partner section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi all,

My name is Kay, from Singapore. Been living in Saigon for over a year now, running serviced apartments with my wife in D7. Anyone around the area up for some coffee just hit me up. Also loooking for pals to learn vietnamese with. Been learning for 3 years and still speak like a kid.

Hello Everyone!

My name is Charley. Will be in Hanoi this coming Saturday. I volunteered for a project in Hanoi for 4-5 weeks. I love doing this kind of thing as I believe I can/we can all do our own little thing to make the world a better place.

I would also like to take the opportunity to look for possible ESL position while staying in Vietnam after the project. I have 3 years experience in teaching though I have more years of experience as Marketing and Events person.

Personally, I like adventures and love the beach. I hope to find good beaches I can go to during weekends. I love meeting people and learning from different walks of life. It would be nice to make friends, lots of them!

Looking forward to meet you guys around!

Hola,

Well the introduction part is always a-bit complicated and interesting at the same point, many of us gets stuck with questions in our mind - Who am I... from where shall I start... and how shall I introduce myself among other, in business language we call it marketing and advertising which help to sell ourself over the benefits.

So far as I am associated toward myself introduction I will startup with basic:

My name is Alishan Zafar, Native Pakistani, bought up in Wales - UK, move back to my native country when I was 17 spend 2 years of my life there and than moved to Dubai and still live here from last 11 years and now planning to make another move to explore more opportunities and to achieve my self actualization.

I am an entrepreneur and run my own business in Dubai in creative field, my major is Design Conceptualization leading to consultancy and project management. I have done projects globally in more than 10 different countries. I am an MBA by my academic records with majors in Marketing and Risk Management.

As far my expertise are concern I want to jump into this new market (Vietnam) to explore more available opportunities. But not just to explore opportunities, I want to create opportunities for other with the same set of minds who like to think out of the box and are ready to break the ice.

I will appreciate to get in the similar pool of visionary thinkers with big dreams.

Hi All,
My name is Rudy Palattao. I'm a Filipino expat living in Vietnam for 20 years now. I have great adventure, travelled to many places from Mong Cai down to Phu Quoc. My profession is in the hospitality industry - hotel and resorts management and consultancy and training. Living in Vietnam is enjoyable - friendly people, great historical places, climate just perfect for me, etc.

After three years of being expatless (had to come back to my home country: Spain) I am returning to Asia, more precisely to Ho Chi Minh in October. Since Saigon is not a city I know well - as I used to live in Bangkok for 8 years -  I am looking forward to meet both expats and locals alike.

Hi everyone, I am living in Khe Sanh for the next two months and I would love it if I could meet some expats. I am staying with a Vietnamese host family, they are very kind, however I would be so happy if I could meet some expats. Please let me know if you are visiting or staying in the region!

Hello Guys! Im Dhonz, from the Philippines. I work as a Business Development Manager in an IT company that specializes in POS systems (Hardware and Software) for Retail and F and B.  I am also a part time English teacher. Living in Vietnam for me, was not that easy given the culture and language barrier. I came here and knew no one. But now, God has been good to me and my life now is much better than a year ago.

I join this community to have more connections and meet fellow expats.  Let's exchange our experiences , travels, food etc. Pls drop a message and let's start it there.

Kabayan. where do you stay?

Dear All

I come from North London and have 15 years experience teaching English for students aged from 4 to 18.
I am good at planning, preparing and delivering lessons and activities as well as assessing, recording and reporting on progress and attainment.

I am also a well qualified and highly experienced Tour Guide and Tour Director throughout Europe and the U.K.

I am moving to Saigon to be with family so am looking for teaching or tour management work as well as decent digs and great friends.

I can forward the following;

1.    CV
2.    A certified copy of a Bachelor's degree/ Master's degree
3.    A PGCE as well as a TEFL teaching certificate
4.    Copy of my passport with visa
5.    A Criminal record check 2018

Anyway,  enough about me -

Brianmcdermott wrote:

Dear All-

Perhaps you'd care to create a 'wanted' ad here (it's free)

https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/vietnam/

Good luck

Good Morning
French- Vietnamese, I have just back to my own country since September.
Living in Ho Chi Minh, working for a Vietnamese Company in Design Interior, I am looking for new friends in Sai Gon
Please feel free to contact for a drink around
best

Closed