New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Belize forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Belize if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

What happened to the previous thread with the same title???

Is it archived someplace, if so will its contents show up with a regular search?

Both old and new threads were here last night, I would hope all the great information in the old thread is not lost....

@ Will the Old > The old thread ( 2017 ) has been closed but is still online and can still be read by members. :)

We launched a new thread for 2018 to welcome all our new members for this year. :)

They come on this thread to introduce themselves and to share their expat project with us.

Have a nice day,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I am new to this forum. I currently live in New Jersey and I'm looking to retire in Belize.

I'm looking to speak with someone, come down for a visit and see what it's like to have an experience retiree answer some questions

Hai
We are already expats (I'm South African and my husband is English) living in Australia, planning our great adventure to Belize at the end of 2018. We aim to settle in Hopkins Bay.
As we arev not quite retirement age we do intend to either find employment or create our own, as well as build our home.
We are currently searching for long term rentals in the area that are pet friendly, but any advice or contacts would be amazing at this point.

Looks like you will need to start your own Business, chances of an expat getting employment in Belize is slim to non existent.  Also the wage scales in Belize are very low. Legal mibimum wage is $3bze  per hour.
Hopkins village is a lovely place, If you have never been to Belize  do take time to travel around, see different areas at different  times of the year, to ensure you do feel it is where you want to be, before you settle on one permanent place.

Hey everyone I new here too.  I'm  looking into an early retirement to Belize.  Think fall of 2019, planning on taking a few trips in the next year.  Looking for recommendation on the best place to visit so I figure out where to live.  I'm look for a place that has a mixed of people both single and married.  Where there is plenty of things to do. Any help would be great

Well Belize is small but every district is different. Your best choice would be to plan a touring visit and stay a day or two in several areas. If you want beach and party atmosphere then Ambergris caye would fit, but it is the most expensive place to live and as an island could curtail ease of travel around Belize somewhat.  Caye Caulker is a less crowded  smaller more laid back version  but also an island if that would be a problem. The Placencia area is a less frenetic version of Ambergris,  it definately has a down period in the year with less tourists, but it is a peninsula so has Beautiful beaches and is still easier for travel around the Mainland. I personally love the area and we did consider living there but I really don't want beach life 12 months of the year. The area around Hopkins and the Sitee river are very popular and lots of expats building in that area.
If Beaches are a lower priority then the twin towns of Santa Elena and San Ignacio  have a lively social scene and are close to a lot of attractions. Corozal I am not sufficiently personally acquainted with to say much about, other than there are a lot of  happy expats living there if this forum is anything to go by, it has  seafront but few beaches, and it is close to the Mexican border. Similarly with the the southern areas of toledo but I know there are fantastically beautiful areas I have visited.  I live in the central location around Belmopan. WIthin a couple of hours drive of many tourist attractions and the southern beaches, down one of the prettiest roads you will drive on. (i said pretty not good) The main embassies and government offices are in Belmopan so a fair number of expats, a growing city with an improving social scene. Belize city is not a good choice as although there are nicer areas it has a deserved bad reputation. Ladyville and Orange walk areas  are being seen as up and coming areas for expat residences.   As I said at the begining  Belize is small enough to explore in a couple of weeks to get an idea of where you feel you could settle. Hope this helps.

Thank for the information, I'm looking for beach area and not so much partying just finding people to hang out with that live in Belize.  Corozal has been pulling at me but understand I should look at other areas too.  Again thank for the infor

I'm new here, too. I'm considering a move to Belize in the near future. Maybe a short term relocation, for a year or so, maybe more if I like it!  I'm just starting research on areas to live and what the job possibilities are. I don't need a lot, just enough to get by and have an adventure. I'd love any information you have on the topic, especially if you love a particular area. I like to hike, surf, snorkel, paddleboard - outdoor adventures!

Job opportunities  for an unskilled expat on an extended vacation in Belize are somewhere around ZERO.  If you just want an adventure and can't afford it without earning money to pay for it then  Belize is not the place to go. Your tourist visa states quite pointedly you are not entitled to work  in Belize. You can apply for a work permit if you have a willing employer in need of a skill you posses that NO Belizean citizen or legal resident  has. that can take a fair amount of time and money to acquire. There is no chance of just getting the odd bar job or helping out at a resort,  for a week or so here and there as many backpackers can do in many tourist places. If any would be employer decided to risk his/her own business to give you a job (under the table) then the going rate is about $3 bze per hour. All those things you state you love would be available with the water sports particularly on the Cayes the most expensive place in Belize to live. Also for an extended vacation you will have to renew your tourist visa every 30 days at a fee of $50 bze for the first 6 then $100bze every 30 days after that.

In fact, we have been working online for most of our time here which is legal since we are not technically working in Belize, but they are starting to come down on people like us and pushing us to get a work permit and start a business. Honestly I'm not 100% sure what they are doing is either legal or ethical, but here we are. I'm hoping my residency goes through soon so I don't have to mess with it.

OOPs never thought of on line work. My son has been told ( officially unless he commits a crime in between now and then) his residency should be through in the next couple of months ( whats the betting the day after an immigration update) his papers were put in september 2015  so that would be about 2 and a half years. Don't know where that fits with your timeline, but it is nowhere near the 3 to 6 months as in the government info.

Monkey Town brew wrote:

In fact, we have been working online for most of our time here which is legal since we are not technically working in Belize, but they are starting to come down on people like us and pushing us to get a work permit and start a business. Honestly I'm not 100% sure what they are doing is either legal or ethical, but here we are. I'm hoping my residency goes through soon so I don't have to mess with it.

My husband and I do the same thing. Our company is in the US and we work "remotely" online. We use a VPN and connect through the states. We also have friends that just got their residency last week after about 2.5 yrs.

terrific wrote:

you will have to renew your tourist visa every 30 days at a fee of $50 bze for the first 6 then $100bze every 30 days after that.

Hi Terrific, It looks like they are changing the policy. I was able to get my visa extended for 60 days for $100 BZE. Nice to not have to jump through those hoops every 30 days!

They are doing the 2 month re up on a case by case. In Belmopan it seems those that have a longer journey, and the elderly are getting the 2 month sign on. The new phone in appointment time does seem to be working very well the last 2 months he went in 10 minutes before his appointment and was all done and dusted bak outside in a half hour. Nice to see improvements can happen even in Belize bureaucracy.

I applied may 2016, so another 9 mos or so, I guess. At least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

So question on working on line, if I got QRP (retired military) would there be any restriction on working online for a US company?

So long as you are not doing any business for your on line job, I>E finding clients or servicing expats in any way,  within Belize you would be good to go.

Thanks good information

Hi all!

I just visited one of the islands in Belize and fell in love with it, though that's not hard to do when on vacation. So, I've been researching Belize further to see if it's a place I'd like to live with my medium sized dog.

I plan on going back and exploring the areas of Hick's Cays, Caye Caulker, and Corozal. I'm open to exploring other island but am deterred by the very touristy San Pedro. My main desire is good people, warm weather, and an area by the beach for activities. I am a woman and in my late twenties so I want some place that is safe though I know you need to keep your eyes open anywhere.

My plan is to create an online consulting business in the US and when it's steady then move (whether to Belize or another area) so I don't have to find work down there. This means I would need decent internet connection.  I would move to the area I choose and rent for probably 3-6 months before a final move just to make sure it's the right thing for me, as many people suggest. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've read quite a few threads on here that have been helpful but of course, any other advice from people who have done this and have been down there a while is appreciated. 

-Island lover

Welcome @galwayrose1! Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row. Good on you for getting your business going before moving down!!! I think all those places will have decent internet.

Hello everybody,

My wife and i will be moving soon to Belize as she has been offered a job there.
As i have found out already, chances to finding a job are almost nonexistent.
I am, though planning to start a (social)entreprise, where i can teach carpentry and construction skills to local youngsters.
Is any one here also the spouse of some one who has been offered a job ?
And any one any experience in a buisness start up ? I d love to hear from you
Many thanks
Wannes

Hi Wannes. Welcome. Starting a business in Belize is relatively straight forward, but you'll need a work permit, which I believe now requires you be in country 6 months before you can even apply. It's kind of a pain, but nothing you can't overcome if you're determined. I highly recommend searching this forum. There's loads of good info. Just check the date as things do change over time. There's also the expat guide under the Handy Tools tab at the top. I'm pretty sure there are articles on work permit and starting a business.

Hello,
New March of 2018 and a very high interest in Belize as a new home, so scouring all I can.  Anyone with insight regarding Land Surveying and / or Civil Engineering industry within Belize... would greatly appreciate !!

Keeping personal information very low key.... Yet, happy to expand beyond Expat options.
Appreciate your time, in advance.

Geoff

Geoff,  Hey I'm Joanne, in the boat as you!  Living in New Orleans right now, but looking to move to Belize in about a year.  I think the best way to start is again as much information as possible, on here and other places.  I know I have learned a lot on these pages.  If you want to connect, and trade information let me know

Hello Everyone!!  My name is Sally and my husband and I currently live in Vancouver, BC.  We have fallen in love with Belize from a far.  Through endless researching and reading great blogs/sites like these we have already learned so much.  We are more than excited about visiting Belize for the first time on April 7th.  We are mainly interested in touristy areas as we would like to purchase or build a home for a B&B.  Anyone that has been through this experience I would love to hear from you.  I know we have much to do regarding working permits etc... but the first big step is coming to visit and that is only a couple of weeks away!!  If you live on Ambergris Caye I would love to hear from you and maybe we can meet up for a visit (over cocktails or a cold beer of course) while we are there.

Looking forwarding to learning more and listening to all you have to share! Thank you Sally   :cheers:

Welcome all! I recommend the expat guide under tools at the top and of course the search function. Hope your visits are all you're hoping for.

Hello,
      I have been thinking about Belize for my retirement.  I want to make a few trips first and have basic questions.  I have not traveled overseas, but do have a passport.
      What is the best way to manage my travel money in Belize?  In the US I used American Express traveler's checks and my bank's ATM, for example.
      Do I have to convert US dollars to BZD?
      On your first trip, how do you prove you have enough money for your stay?
I am glad I found this site.
Thanks
Tom

tprincejr wrote:

Hello,
      I have been thinking about Belize for my retirement.  I want to make a few trips first and have basic questions.  I have not traveled overseas, but do have a passport.
      What is the best way to manage my travel money in Belize?  In the US I used American Express traveler's checks and my bank's ATM, for example.
      Do I have to convert US dollars to BZD?
      On your first trip, how do you prove you have enough money for your stay?
I am glad I found this site.
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom, Belize is incredibly easy when it comes to currency. They accept US dollars everywhere and the ratio is a simple 2-1 BZE to USD. You'll want to make sure your bank and credit card companies know you're traveling. Alot of small businesses don't take credit cards so it's good to have cash handy. But you might look for a credit card without international fees before you travel or relocate. I typically don't carry anything larger than US $50's or $20's. And they will typically give you your change in BZE. I've not seen anyone use or accept travelers checks so no comment there....

Thanks
      That's good to know information.

About the only people that accept travelers checks are large resorts and the banks, the banks will charge about 1 or 2 %. rest of the time smaller us $ bilks and atm's will be best. You will get change from shops in BZE$ and also from ATM machines, just keep in mind spend the Belize dollars before you leave as it is not a transferable currency so only good in Belize.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm Ken a 59 year old nurse living in Tennessee and desperately wanting to live in the tropics.  Been doing a lot of research on warm climate mediterranean locations and Belize keeps coming back more and more. 

Here's my issue.  I'm a gay married man and I've heard that Belize isn't so inviting to "my kind."  Can anyone speak to this?  My husband (he's already retired) and I aren't really into the club/partying scene, although we do very much enjoy small get togethers and we do like our cocktails. 

2nd question, and this might be stupid, but can you collect social security living in Belize and are you still eligible for Medicare?

Any information you could give me about my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Difficult to give a definitive answer to the first part. No Belize is not overtly welcoming to a gay lifestyle. It is a "religious"population all the various churches  seem to have a presence there.  But saying that if you are a quiet couple who are not given big scenes of public affection, Belizeans are very much a live and let live kind of people. If you are just  two men who live in the same house and are nice to your nieghbors and like to go out for cocktails  not sure it would be problematic. If you are raving queens who camp up everything you do then that might be a different matter.
On the second part you will still be able to get your social security. most people tend to keep their US bank accounts to receive the payments and use the ATM's to get the cash in Belize. If you pay your Medicare dues (or it is withheld from your pension) then when in the USA your are still elligible  for your benefits but there are no reciprocal medical arrangements with the government of Belize The Medical scene in Belize is very poor on all fronts. hope this helps somewhat.

Welcome @kaypeam, I generally agree with terrific's assesment. Belizeans are by and large very gossipy, but they mostly believe in letting people live how they choose because they expect the same courtesy. There's a gay couple down the beach a bit from us. They have a young daughter and run a small resort. I know they hang out in Placencia a lot. I don't really know them because I just never go out anywhere, but I've never heard of anyone giving them hassle, and we are on several fb groups together. My daughter is also gay. She's definitely quiet about it, and of course she's only 16, but no one has ever said a word.
I have a really good example of just how live and let live belizeans are. I want to be clear that I am in no way comparing you to this guy, but it vividly shows that belizeans don't really care what you think or do. There was a former grand wizard of the KKK that settled in San Pedro after ratting out several other high ranking people within the KKK for something like tax evasion or illegal weapons. He's still there as far as I know, and he's been there since the 80's. I was floored when I heard about it. They're literally willing to live with someone who thinks it's ok to kill black people.
Honestly, I think they mostly think that almost everyone from North America and Europe is crazy anyway, so they just expect us to do things they don't understand. They can't figure out for the life of them why I homeschool. I stopped trying to explain.
Having grown up in both NC and SC, I can say that I doubt it will be harder than living in TN. Definitely connect with us if you come down.

Thanks - I really appreciate the information.

Ken (not a campy queen)

Welcome Ken. We have a gay couple in our community as well. I've not had any in depth conversations about their experiences but i've Not heard anything negative either. And the expats in our community gossip plenty.  ;)

Mexico works like that too, as long as you're not taking Mexico's money or getting paid in Pesos (I would assume) you don't even need more than a tourist visa.

The reason I'm looking at Belize, though, as seeing as how I do book translations and I can do that anywhere (as long as I can get online), is that I'd probably fit in better there. As a UK/Irish person there's no language barrier there and I'm actually the same "colour" as most of its population anyway; not so here in Mexico.

Joanne,. Greatly appreciate reply and excuse delay.   Definitely taking alot in through all the info, and appreciate the introduction !  Thanks again....

Closed