Been there, done that, never again...

Hey all,

Well I went and gave it a month and stayed in Placencia village...

Pro's:

1. Ruins were great to visit if the ride was very long.
2. People were very friendly (bar one - see Con's)
3. Pickled Parrot is fun to hang out.
4. Did some great photography, so much beauty.
5. Wendy's do a great double cheese bacon burger.
6. Felt like being home in the US in a number of ways.

Con's:

1. Got bad intestine infection (still recovering) because Angie Markham owner of Flamboyant Belize told me it was safe to drink the tap water and she had been drinking it for years (yeah right).
2. Brenda on the pier front is a simply loathsome crack-addict woman and made it difficult to go near the pier front as she was always screaming abuse out at me on a daily basis. Apparently she destroys a lot of local business with her treatment of tourists.
3. Had to kill a black widow spider in my apartment.
4. Beaches were simply filthy with washed up pollution, barely found a clean spot.
5. Asians charge the earth and moon for anything that is imported 250% mark up across the board.
6. When I blacked out from exhaustion from intestine infection and knocked the 1980s relic portable tv across the floor and broke it was being extorted by landlady Markham for $350 BZD to replace it which I found the same one on ebay for $15.00.
7. The single engine twin propella plane ride x 2 to Placencia was cramped beyond belief and simply terrifying especially with turbulence. NEVER AGAIN. 

If you go stay north ward so you can avoid the tiny planes, they are terrifying.  Placencia village? An up and coming ghetto village, quaint in places, disgusting in others.  I would not recommend it.

Hi adrock1234
I recommend the beautiful flight from Belize city to PG  to my friends who visit me. It is usually on a  Cessna Caravan
well built to be a rugged air craft in Wichita Kansas. I think ,seeing the coast line ,emerald sea ,cayes ,Shrimp  and Banana farms and  landing on tiny air strips are part of the fun visiting Belize. It is out of the  ordinary for a visitor from US.. But I guess for some people it may be frightening. Drinking tap water any where outside US  especially in a seemingly 3rd world is asking for trouble. I know a restaurant owner from Canada who barely survived a parasite infection while staying  in a resort in Placentia. We live in Belize but drink only bottled water or processed by reverse osmosis. Crazies are everywhere ,May be a mental health or law enforcement problem.
Sorry you you had  bad experience while visiting Belize. This is not the Best season for Belize,Too much rain,muddy water, Sea weeds (which often stink ) collect on the beaches. But things will get better as we get in to the dry season.

I lived in Belize  a few years back in the day.The problems you note just barely scratch the surface. Not sure where to begin. It is a very badly governed third world country. Fun to visit for a week or so. Living there is another story. I wouldn't recommend it.

Well the pollution was more on the washed up plastic crap sense rather than stinking seaweed which there was some of that also.

What is PG?

Not perfect, agreed

don't blame others for putting trash in your body
eventually you will get very sick
you will never be forgiven for killing a tarantula

I will blame them when I paid them and I am new to the area and they are the experienced ones dishing out advice.

How would any body know you are new to the area. A dash of commonsense go a long way,sorry

Well quite obviously when you book in advance and tell them its your first time to the country over the phone and when you arrive they walk you the do's and dont's.  Sorry just assumed that was glaringly obvious common sense.

Oh well
lot of assumptions!

Well you know what they say about assumptions.

there are many forums where you can get good advise for free
nowhere in the world you have to book in advance
take a look at people and their places before you deal with them

I did take a look at their place and the reviews, again...assumptions. Bored of this now.

Adrock1234. Sorry to read that your Placencia experience didn't work out for you. I've lived there for three years...and drink the water from the tap...and never had any stomach problems. Just an fyi for others reading his post, Placencia does have a free clinic and a good pharmacy; so, if you have any similar health issues, you can get help very readily.

As to Brenda, yes, she does have an outgoing personality that you either love or hate. As to the Black Widow, just glad that you didn't get bitten. But, hey, what would you expect in a tropical climate? I have snakes in my yard and scorpions in my house--they come with the territory. And, if no one mentioned it to you, there are crocs in the lagoon, so don't go swimming there.

As to the trash on the beach, no one likes it, and truthfully, it can be bad depending upon the direction of the water currents. It is rumored that the Hondurans toss their garbage in their rivers, which then flow down to the Caribbean, and if the currents are just right, all kinds of personal items can end up on the coastline of Placencia. I don't know if any of that is true, but it always makes you feel better if you can blame someone else.

As to the Chinese markets, they serve a wonderful service all over Belize. Those folks work very long hours, and I am always very glad to be able to buy from them, even if their prices seem a bit high.

As to the busted TV, like I said above, "it always feels better if you can blame someone else." Finally, as to the single prop plane ride, it's probably best if you just stay in the U.S.

Good luck, and I hope that you are fully recovered from the stomach problems.

you don't have to be an expert to see that A.... is a junkie
B.... an alcoholic and a drug addict couldn't you see how filthy she is
her dirty fingernails and the maggots in the food
[moderated: inappropriate post]

ADrock1234      you will notice that many of the responses to your post, blame you for the difficulties.  and that is how it goes in Belize.   If you state an obvious shortcoming in Belize, you will be be attacked on these pages. 

whoever says the Chinese are entitled to a 250% mark up is naive.   The Chinese do not assimilate & do not contribute to the communities where they live.   There is a Chinese who lives in Belize City who imports most of the Chinese grocers.  he gets them passports and holds their passports for 5 years.   he sets them up in business as grocers.   they have to buy all their goods from him.    at the end of their 5 years in Belize most use their Belizean passport to get to emigrate to the USA.    In my town there are 10,000 people and 34 chinese grocery stores.   It does not require a financial genius to see that it is not possible for 10,000 people to support 34 retail grocers.

Yes the CHinese culture is one of very hard work.   

I do not think they are a helpful addition to Belize.

OK person visits 3rd world country takes advice from someone  in order to save a $ or so and drinks water from tap, gets sick. Beaches not as clean as wanted well not sure how to stop the tide enough to stop the stuff thrown off boats and washed down rivers from nieghbouring countries being washed ashore. Wow creepy crawlies as well, wierdo/junkie yelling at him. Not unique to Belize I am sure. The local stores mark up the prices on imported goods and the small aircraft are too crowded, does that mean there were more people than seats to accomodate them?  Having stated high costs  of things in Belize then complains at the cost charged to replace item he broke. Unfortunately the hotelier probably cant get stuff off Ebay sent to Belize at anything like the low price Quoted. The list of complaints all seem a whinney sorry he did not get the vacation he expected but with the exceptions of the trash washed in by the tide(pleases find a solution to that problem and pass it on) and the wierdo/junky experience most everything else were down to personal choices.  If you have a problem with small aircraft rent a car and drive or even risk the busses the plane will then seem spacious. Pricing of imported goods is always high wherever you live, regardless of store owners nationality. I Purchased packet of english biscuits yesterday in a California supermarket price on pack says 99pence equates to $1.50 store charged $5 25 so what can you do if you want imported stuff it will cost more.
If the poster ever returns to Belize he will now realize what it is  like and, I do know the Beaches do get swept more in the season, this visit was in the off season.
Interestingly on a different forum the original posting was quoted and has brought up the question of dates the original poster spent his month in Placencia. mainly as it has a couple of question marks the new public pier has been open2 years and it seems that Brenda the "Junky" who scared him has been clean for 3 years and has her own business now.
So maybe if someone is telling about their experiences good and bad to influence others making decisions about a visit a refference to dates would be helpful.

Please tell all this to the hordes of foreigners now trying to take over Placencia. Please.

I have been drinking the tap water in Placencia since the system came in in 1996.  NEVER a problem.
What do the Chinese grocers have to do with the price?  ALL the grocers in Belize have to charge very high for imported stuffs.  Buy the rice and the beans and the local chicken, much cheaper.
The beaches have turned lovely again with the first north covering everything.  The trash comes from Honduras and washes up in Placencia.
Please don't come back to Placencia and please, please tell any other people like you to stay away too.
Maybe you could take out an ad or something to help keep people like you away from here.