Domincan Republic vs. Belize

Hola my friends! My name is Sam. I am a semi-retired 58 year old American single man. I work part time in Security for the NBA Cleveland Cavaliers from October through April. In the off season May through September I travel and live abroad. I currently live in Punta Cana Dominican Republic. I do not do the AI resort thing or mix with the tourist. I live among the locals and embrace the local culture. I love the beach, snorkeling and scuba diving. The evenings are spent with friends from all over the world relaxing in local restaurants etc.. As well as spending time with my Dominican friends. For the most part my time here is centered around the beach/ ocean life. I am looking for a slight change. As well as that lifestyle, I would like to do some in country exploring. Mountains, rivers, streams etc. It is not recommended doing that here lol. So my question. Can those of you that know and have experienced both countries. Advise me if Belize would be a wise choice to spend my summer of 2014?

Hi Cavsguy,
For whatever reason I scanned to the bottom of the list and saw your posting Subject Line. I am single, female, love to travel and looking for my retirement country. I may pick a starting place for my retirement country, and, who knows, I may end up somewhere else, at some point.  I do spend a great deal of time in Belize.

I have done a lot of reading, watching, and researching Las Terrenas, DR. To the point that I was scheduling time to spend a Chill Weekend with real estate people for about 4 days, then I would do my own research for the next week or so. 

But, for whatever reason, perhaps the same one that got me to scroll to the bottom of the forum to find your posting, which triggered my curiosity. 

I was hoping other expats or those that have experience would have responded to your post.  No one has spoken a word. How are you taking that? 

Feel free to make me a contact so you can email me privately, if that makes you feel more comfortable, otherwise, no worries just feel free to respond to all, if that works for you. 

Oh, BTW, I love Belize. Not crazy about Belize City but that's a given.....Good Luck, LAN

Thank you so much for your reply and info. I am a little surprised too of the lack of replies to my question lol! On most forums you can't get people to shut up on most topics. Oh well, doesn't matter. Like you I do a lot of online research. If you haven't been on DR1.com, check it out. Good luck and safe travels.

Sam

CavsGuy,

I don't think the fact that no one answered your post was anything personal. Your question was very specific:
"So my question. Can those of you that know and have experienced both countries".
It could be that not too many people here have spent enough time in both countries to give you an accurate comparison.

Part of the problem with blogs is that if you only have a limited amount of experience in a district, and you voice an opinion, the chorus of naysayers jump out and crucify you for your views. 
Comments made by posters on other threads, like " six months is such a short time"  or " you don't know what you are talking about"  tend to limit discussions and make people ( Unless they have really thick skin) less willing to engage.
You can always tell when someone has been personally attacked by an abrasive comment, the entire blog goes quiet for a few days.

I think that this post fell into that period of comments on  Sanctuary Belize and Belize banking, were several nasty exchanges happened, and the regulars just walked away for a few days, and took a break from posting.

Just a thought - instead of asking for a direct comparison between the two countries - try being specific and phasing your questions in a manner that we ( who have not been to DR) can relate to - example -
"The beaches in DR are great. We don't have any sand flies. How does this compare to  Belize"
It opens the question up and doesn't exclude people who haven't been to DR, but who have tons of Belize experiences to tell you about.

As far as mountains, rivers and streams, I live in Corozal, so I would be of little help in that area, maybe some of the Cayo members can help you out.

The entire Cayo region is just beautiful ( just my personal perspective), and it could be the change that you are looking for.  I'll be moving there in the next few weeks.
Belize is a great place, and spending a summer here in 2014 would be a wonderful way to spend your time.