Greetings from California!

Hello everyone,

My family and I are in the liquidation stage, preparing to head to Belize in the next few months for a trial run.  We plan on staying at least 2 months with the possibility of staying longer. 

We hope to meet other folks who have made a similar move and know how to get setup in Belize.  We also hope to meet some families with kids and to find a church with some Jesus-loving brothers and sisters. 

We are coming from a small town in Northern California and plan on flying into Cancun and riding the bus from there.  We are open to any suggestions that could save us money.  We have not decided where to stay, but based on what we have read here, plan on visiting Corozal, Placencia, San Ignacio, and any other suggestions you can throw our way.

We own a U.S. technology company which we will be managing via the internet, so connectivity is going to be important.  Any advise regarding internet and cell phones (renting without a long term contract) would be greatly appreciated.  Likewise, any advise from someone running a U.S. based business from Belize would be really helpful. 

We have been lurking in the forum for about a week now and love seeing how helpful the people are here.  This seems to be one of the most useful and current resources we have found. 

We have a couple of quick questions to ask everyone here:
What do you wish you had brought with you because it is not available in Belize?
And, what do you wish you had left behind because it was not useful in BZ?

Thank you all in advance for your responses.

Kris, Sarah and the boys.

Hi and welcome to Expat.com BelizeOrBust :)

I hope this trial stay with be a positive one and that you will be able to meet helpful people there ;)
I can recommend you this article for useful information about ISP. You can also know a bit more about finding accommodation in our Life in Belize guide
Otherwise I hope other members will provide you with other useful advices very soon ;)

Good luck
Armand

Thank you Armand.  I had read that article about the isp situation... I also heard that BTL was filtering out voice over ip... Is that a current issue, or have they realized that it does not lead to happy customers? 

I will need to use skype often to the USA, anyone had any problems with doing that?

I wish I had brought more long pants, closed toe shoes and sweaters.  Contrary to popular belief, Belize has a winter too and it can get quite cold. Even in the summers, it gets chilly in the Cayo area after 7pm.

I only brought 4 suitcases and a laptop over, so there's nothing I brought that I wish I had left behind.  Definitely bring plenty of your prescriptions.

Please read my article on the internet service provided in Belize.

I use Smart cell phones, and it is quite reliable and reasonably priced.  You can call anywhere in the world, as long as you are in Belize.  If you travel outside of Belize, forget about it! 

Hope this helps.

Sharon (Wealthships)

Sharon,

Thank you for the helpful tips.  Where might I find your article about internet?  I have looked through your blog (very nice by the way) but did not find it.

Good to know about the warm clothing, we had not planned on bringing any as we are planning on bringing 1 suitcase each and a couple of backpacks.

I am sure that the Smart cell phones price varies due to usage, but how much do you spend per month for this service and about how much do you use it for international calling?

Thanks again for your response.

Kris

Check the articles section of the Expat.com - I've written many and one is specifically on the internet.  Thanks for checking out my blog too!  You might want to join my facebook fan page as well (you can join from my blog) as I give tons of useful tips on living in Belize every weekday.

Anyway, in regards to Smart, they have monthly plans starting from $50 bz and going from there.  I think the Family Plan is $180 bz for 600 minutes for you and your wife.  Incoming is always free.  International is $.87c bz a minute.  Or, you can do prepaid, which I do, and just buy minutes/texts as you go.  $50 bz lasts me about 3 months, but I don't make many calls.

Digicell (owned by BTL, the internet provider here in Belize), also has cell phone service, but no share plan.  Hope this helps!

Sharon

Sharon,  You may have problems with our internet system when you get here but there are other options. We offer internet service with our apt. that we rent out,  But ours is with BTL and our Renter also does business everyday on his laptop and needs to use his magic Jack. Not working with my system so he has gone another route with a company that buys there time through Mexico so far he likes it. I may take it over when he leaves if it keeps working good. Just saying there are other ways to do business without using our Telephone service.

Hi Corozal Expact!  Why do you think I have problems w/ internet?  I've never said that.  I use BTL and am quite happy.  Did you read my article on this forum?  Not sure what you're referring to - maybe you misunderstood something I said. Thanks! Sharon

Sorry Sharon, I guess I had your name in my head when I was writing to the Person who started this Thread.  I am glad your not having any Problems with BTL But there are a lot of us here who do.  In fact I have had them here twice since Friday and there coming back in a little while to see whats giving me Problems. Its nice to know that some People have no Problem with them.

Corozal Ex-pact,

Thank you for your reply.  After extensive searching and discussing things with Sharon, I am expecting to have some problems with internet.  Fortunately, I am an IT guy with a lot of computer and networking knowledge.  I am looking at setting up a SSL vpn which can not be blocked without blocking all secure websites. 

I currently use skype to communicate with my team, something that seems to be blocked by BTL for many people.  By using a vpn, I can encrypt the data and create a tunnel through a US or MX based server.  It appears that Witopia has a very high success rate for people in BZ... check out their site at goo.gl/ShtUr . 

I cant wait to get down there and try some of this stuff out. 

Kris

I Belize or Bust:  We are also planning to move to Coroal. We visited there with another coupole last December while we were vactioning in Capt Morgan's Retreat on the Caye.  We only spent a day looking for water front lots and our friends returned last month for a week and purchased a lot and are in the process of building. I just read a blog about the internet problems in Corozal-maybe it was you?
I am familar with Angels Camp as I am a native Californian. My sister has a house in Arnold (blue lake springs area), and I had a friend who at one time owned the old Bank of America Building in Angels Camp but he is now dead.
I should like to stay in contact with you from time to time to share experiences in packing up and moving to Belize as we have a common goal and most probably common problems, although I don't have children to worry about as you do.,

Golferman,

Sounds good, I will send you a pm with my email address.

Have a great day.

Kris

Good luck on your new adventure!
I too would love the same information!  I am heading to Belize in June to check out what is going on. I own a small business that I can run by internet but perhaps I can even open a branch in Belize and employ the locals. I want to go to San Pedro because that is where I would love to live, but I believe the business is in Belize City. How easy is it to travel back and forth by water taxi? Thank you for any info!