Driving a rv from canada to belize

we are considering driving our rv from canada to belize in december for a winter stay , any comments do,s and dont,s ???

Hi and welcome to the forum brianlisa!

An introduction maybe?

Armand

HI, how about joining the texas bunch with 42' + 20' trailer going to belize ? call steve breitweiser ....., [email protected]

we drive our rv to belize nov 2011.. we had no problems with traveling thru mexico - the best rule of thumb is daytime travel only, watch the road - they are not the greatest in some areas.. make sure you map your route. get your mexico permit for your car/truck and tow- you will need a permit for each. and mexican insurance for both of course. when you u get to belize, you can have your car/truck & tow with you attached to your visitor visa for 30 days, and they will extend it up to 4-6 months each time you extend your visitor visa- after that you will need to import it or export it. you will also need thrid party insurance in belize- there is an insurance ageent right after you ccross the border- you cant miss it.
just make sure you tell customs in belize that you are just visiting for 1 month so you dont have to pay duty right off the bat.  have fun & be safe on your trip to belize.

I have friends that drive from Nova Scotia every year.  This year, they left their RV in Texas and flew down.  I personally drove from Missouri to Belize, and it was a wonderful trip. As they say, only drive during the day, stay on the beaten path. Good Luck, look us up when you get here.

Hey mr-fixit-  Can I get more info on that traveling caravan out of Texas? Very interested in this option.

Hi oopsydaisy29,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that this thread is quite old.

Feel free to start a new topic in the Belize forum for better interaction.

Thank you :)

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

i would not again....drive  thru mexico city.....
go thu brownsville into  mex.  then south , down  the  gulf...and  over to cancun then south.
if you are near a mex. embassy  in canada... do as much paperwork as possible including  mex. auto insurance [if possible] b4  you leave canada.
do not stop ...in the middle of  nowhere...in mex.  .to donate  to  any damn cause.
try to travel with other north american drivers.
good luck....
when you get to belize....that..is  the  time  to  really  need be  carefull and aware of thieves...!!

good luck to  yah!!