Looking to relocate to Belize....help??? :)

We are looking to move to Belize in the next few years, by 2014, to retire. We're a military family, so my husband will qualify then at 45.

We love the outdoors...from hiking, scuba diving, the beach and riding our Harley...so we would like to know what area we should look in where we can live in the mountains...love great
views/breeze/cooler temps/waterfalls/hiking/caves/kayaking, but still be close enough to activities, shopping, restaurants, riding the Harley and bars/live music, etc. Also, in a safe area, possibly around other expats...we plan on renting for a little while to get to know the area while finding land to purchase and have a home built on.

We plan on coming down to check everything out, but have no clue what areas to start looking...

Please help point us in the the right direction....

Thank You!!! Kathy and Christian

Besides the beach and scuba diving, you're describing San Ignacio Town in the Cayo District to a tee (which is where I live).  Having said that, it's only a 75 minute drive and one ferry ride away to either Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker; or a two hour drive to Hopkins or Placencia; where you can get fabulous diving and beach time.

So, I'd start in San Ignacio if I were you.

Sharon Hiebing

Hi Sharon!!!

Thank you for replying...I'm looking at Google world and can you get the Western Highway from San Ignacio?  It keeps wanting to make the trip go Center Road to Route 20 to Western Highway.  Is there an alternate way?

Do you know how we could find out about utlities/cable or satellite/internet, local banking (if necessary?), postal service (PO Box?), shopping and restaurants and finding someone to help us find a good place to start for rentals?  Best way to move household goods to Belize?  I've heard there are a lot of scams in housing and moving...we can't afford to be a victim because we don't do our research first.  Also, besides our mattresses (keep reading they are terrible there), electronics and a vehicle is there anything else we should bring?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us...we are so excited to get as much information as possible!!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy! Well don't know what Google world is doing. From Belize City, just take the Western Hwy all the way to Santa Elena/San Ignacio - super easy and signs all the way.

In regards to all your other questions, maybe some other folks on the forum can help.  If not, or in case you're interested, I have an Expat Relocation Consulting company that I started for folks just like you (wealthships.com/expat-consulting).

I can hold your hand through all of this, and what's best is I've been there, done that.  Also be sure to check out my testimonials so you can see I'm for real and how much I've helped others.

Whatever you decide, good luck on your journey!  Sharon

Sharon
Just a quick question
For those who wish to take advantage of your services and come to San Ignacio town are there clean places to stay like hotels or motels. Some of the blogs tend to make Belize novices nervous
Thanks
Joe

Hey Joemac - I know of many clean and comfortable places to stay in San Ignacio town, some more affordable than others - the key is to booking at least one month in advance to make sure there's availability since the less expensive places get snapped up quick.

The blogs aren't lying though - there are a couple of places I wouldn't let my dog stay at. Hope that helps.  Sharon

Your answers always helpful, will be in touch not sure when. My favorite activity is SCUBA but I was suprised to see you mentioned to Kathy that diving was not available in San Ignacio town. But you did give alternatives. Am I correct in assuming your company knows a lot about Belize as a whole and not just San Ignacio town?

Hi there Marion here from Toledo , southernmost part of our country keep me posted on your move , Belize on a whole is lovely .

Hello Fellow Explorers,
When I found this blog, I could not wait to join in. I am supposed to be working - I work for myself so it means I will work into the early morning if need be, or not - LOL.

I am so excited for BelizeBound2014! I'm sure all your questions will be answered as you start to do research,read, and join other blogs like this one.  I would also recommend reading some of the newspapers around the areas, in Belize, that you are interested in checking out, and if you are not sure about where you want to plant yourselves, may I suggest that you rent first. That way you won't make a financial mistake that may take a long time to sell again.

I just purchased a cute place in San Ignacio, with a grand view of the backside of Cahal Pech mountain. Where the Cahal Pech Mayan Ruins are located, and my favorite place to stay is on the very top, above the Cahal Pech Myan Ruins = Cahal Pech Resort (shout out to Rafael, Ranee,and Alan). I've been studying Belize and Costa Rica for the past 4 or more years. I been to Belize twice this year and to Costa Rica, as well. 

There is so much to share, but I must run for now. Don't worry about scuba, you can always spend a week on the beach or something like that. It's a lovely county (I am not fond of Belize City, but I think there are many who feel the same way)Best of luck to all.........
Regards,
LAN  :cool:

Well if you are ever at the Cayo market on Saturday morning and see the Gringo with the blue eyes and Kevlar Snake boots on say "Hi". Because that would be me.

Just got back to Belize. Had a much needed vacation.

I am almost always at the Market on Saturday.;)

@ericwt
Hello ericwt,
After reading your post and re-reading my own post, I have mislead everyone. I am not yet living full time in Belize.  I do spend time there frequently, but not able to make the full move just yet.

While I wait until the time is right, I rent my adorable, little place with the grandest view through Rainforest Realty - San Ignacio (of course - lol). I am trying to earn $$ so I can add on. 

I am happy to report that I do wander the Saturday Market and find it to be a continuous learning experience. There is so much to see and taste for the first time. I meet new people, and see people I know. It's a great place to socialize.

Great to hear you had a much needed vacation. May I be so bold and ask where you went on holiday? 
Regards,
LAN  :D

Northwest Arkansas, Cancun and Chetumal Mexico. It was a fine month. :)

You are a part timer? Smart move.

Love2Travel4Sure wrote:

@ericwt
Hello ericwt,
After reading your post and re-reading my own post, I have mislead everyone. I am not yet living full time in Belize.  I do spend time there frequently, but not able to make the full move just yet.

While I wait until the time is right, I rent my adorable, little place with the grandest view through Rainforest Realty - San Ignacio (of course - lol). I am trying to earn $$ so I can add on. 

I am happy to report that I do wander the Saturday Market and find it to be a continuous learning experience. There is so much to see and taste for the first time. I meet new people, and see people I know. It's a great place to socialize.

Great to hear you had a much needed vacation. May I be so bold and ask where you went on holiday? 
Regards,
LAN  :D

Hello..

We are Canadian citizens and have a valid passport, we want to move to Belize without giving up our citizenship,, is it possible ?
i read on the net .. u can survive under $450/mth..is it true ? if so, we can rent our home here and live there .. in 4 yrs i will get my pension,.. where and how do we start ? can we keep our citizenship if we apply for residency ? are there hassles ? advice ? thanks Gina
my email: [email protected]

ashur wrote:

Hello..

We are Canadian citizens and have a valid passport, we want to move to Belize without giving up our citizenship,, is it possible ?
i read on the net .. u can survive under $450/mth..is it true ? if so, we can rent our home here and live there .. in 4 yrs i will get my pension,.. where and how do we start ? can we keep our citizenship if we apply for residency ? are there hassles ? advice ? thanks Gina

There are tons of Canadians down here. No they did not give up citizenship.

I would not want to live here for $450 a month. The Government of Belize sets $2,000 US a month for their retirement program.

You could not live on that in San Pedro. In Cayo you could live on $2,000 a month, but it would not be a totally North American style of life.

I suppose if you lived in a thatch roofed house with no air conditioning or refrigeration and cooked rice and beans outside on a wood stove 3 times a day you could do it on $450. Well as long as you had no car.

Belize is the second highest cost of living in Central America.

ashur wrote:

Hello..

Hi Gina,

I support @ericwt's response regarding the fact you certainly do not have to give up your Canadian citizenship to live in Belize. You have the options of becoming a resident, by following Belizean specific retirement laws, and ultimately become a citizen of Belize with your very own Belizean passport.  This is no easy task. If you plan on just passing through then no point in worrying as you can live in Belize once you obtain the paperwork that fits your needs.

I don't know of many places where you can live on $450 per month. I wish I did. There is a good website to start with that provides facts about many countries,in addition to Belize. The website is called  International Living (IL). I take International Living's facts and compare them to a country I am researching, by using the country's official website. The IL numbers are reasonable close. A lot closer than many articles and blogs I continue to use as learning tools. Here is a URL that explains Belize Visa and Residency Information

Here are few monthly totals from IL website to ponder:

Approximate Monthly Living Totals - It is important to keep in mind that everyone lives differently, thus a variance from the totals below is bound to occur = Monthly totals:
   Belize = $1,415 to $1,765
   Costa Rica = $1,200 to $1,500
   Mexico = $2,164
But in each country you will save hugely for something that may cost more in the other country. So research, find what you like, see what the totals are and decide if the totals work for you. If they do, then I would suggest learning about how the government, parliament - you know the people in charge of the country run the country. Is it a democracy?  If not, what is  it? This is my own order of consideration list. To each their own, I always say. So take my blogging with a several grains of salt - LOL.

For me the order of concern is to decide if there is a language barrier?  If there is not, the stars are the limits!

Personally, I feel warmth in my heart for Belize for several reasons. I'll spare you the list :top:

All the best to all..........
Allow me to torture you with one of my life's motto's, since age 16 "Life is too short, so go for it!"

Warm regards,
LAN :/

[Moderated]

Hey Kathy! Sounds like we have alot in common! My man & I are currently living in Canada & are planning to move to Belize next year We both love riding our Harley too & the weather here is just too wet most of the time. I just joined this site a couple of minutes ago not knowing what to expect, but moving to another country means meeting new friends who have similar interests. Living to ride would mean living on the mainland in Belize not one of the islands since they consist mostly of bicycles & golf carts! If you could email me back at [email protected] that would be great!
Hugs,
Joy