HELP!!! moving to Belize..sooooo many questions

Hello, I am a Canadian planning to move my wife and 4 kids and 2 dogs down to Belize just as soon as i can find a job down there as we are still very young and need to relocate for my wifes health. I need some help on whether or not Belize is good for kids ages 7 to 10 and also how ard it is to obtain visas and employment and a good place to live????? we have travelled to many carribean countries and think Belize is it but could use some Expats advice on this one.. thanks alot everyone for any advice.

quick update, we have now decided on Ambergris Caye. so any help would be great, also looking for a home there for me my wife and 4 kids....any help would be worth more than gold :)

Hello dre20061.

The Housing in Belize section can help. You can post an advert there. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

A good place to live sometime means pricey, I would say Ambergris Caye is most expensive place to live, but yes most expats live there too. wish you have good time in Belize :)

Moving to Belize can anyone help me with information.

so we have decided on october as the moving date and we also decided to drive down in an rv with our suv and find a place to live once we get there so we can look for ourselves and see whats available locally on Ambergris, i think its a much better way to find what we wANT THAN TRYING TO FIND IT ONLINE WHICH IS PROVING HARD FOR ME TO FIND THE INFO I WANT, THE BIG THING NOW IS FOR my kids and figuring out how to homeschool them on ambergris cuz i can not afford the 6500 per kid( i have 3) a year for the private school.I have come to the conclusion to just dive in and find out stuff by living there since i am finding it difficult to get the answers i need but any help from any of you fellow expats on here is always greatly appreciated and welcomed , thank you soo much

Hello Dre:  I saw your post re: Ambergris Caye and I will agree that it is a lovely place.  Big consideration for your family will be easy access to goods and services.  As with any island living
costs are greater and everything you wish to do must begin w/plane or boat to mainland. Snorkeling and diving are great there but even that fascinating past time will begin to lose it's luster after a while.  There are many communities inland that will offer you less expensive housing, easy access to Mexico (for those mall experiences you may miss) school bus transport to school for your kids, medical care and town shopping.  We live in Corozal District, Consejo Shores specifically.  We are very close to Mayan Seaside which is another lovely expat community.  We are however located about 7miles from Corozal Town and while there are some children in and around our community it is primarily retired folks.
There are not beaches in our area unless privately owned and if that is draw then it's either one of the Cayes or Placencia.  Placencia is lovely, but it's far from easy access to anywhere.  Just wanted to give you some food for thought and if you'd like to investigate this area before casting the dye visit Corozal.com and review what this area has to offer.  Best of luck - I hope you find just what you're looking for.  P.S. Remember - when we get storms, the Cayes are below sea level!

From all my info,guess you could't have picked a more expensive place to live but certainly beautiful.  I know that's where I would like to live if I decided to move.  Schooling for 2 boys, 11 anf 13 keep me here in the states.  If your home schooling than you don't have that problem.

I have some books on Belize that I bought couple years ago when I was researching Belize and would send them to you if you wanted them.  They're outdated I think.  In the past 2 and 1/2 years, real estate has almost doubled there. Have no idea if it is an expensive place to live but I think as far as housing, maybe it's is.

I wish you goood luck and will be happy to send the books to you if you want.

Welcome to San Pedro.    I have been to Ambergris Caye 5 times now.  Most of the visits were for 10 day stays.  November, June, July, and August visits.  Summer gets hot, and not many local places have air, but the better hotels do.

I have purchased an 1/2 acre on the lagoon about 1 mile north of the bridge and have been staying in places suggested by Tammy Peterson.  She is a realtor on the island and has been there for many years.  She has been successful because of the way she handles her visitors.  She has taken us under her wing every time we were there.  And someday we will be her neighbor as she says.

I would no problem in giving you more details at [email protected]      .  Please feel free to write.

Take care,

The reef is beautiful.

thanks everyone for your information and advice, we aer planning to leave with our rv this weekenbd to start the trip down to belize, we still want to live on Ambergris and are looking to rent and think its probably best to go and look around and then pick a place to rent, i love the carribean and the way of life and think its going to be the best thing we ever did for us and our family, and would love to keep you all as new found friends, especially the ones who live on the island r in belize, thanks agiana dn keep the advice and perosnal expeiriences coming.

cheers
Dre

You do realize you won't be able to bring your RV or SUV to Ambergris Caye, I hope?  If you plan on keeping your vehicles, you will want to stay on the mainland.

Good luck!

Good Day, and good luck on your travels south. As the smart woman stated in the last msg. u won't be able to take your RV out to the islands. I just so happen to be putting the finishing touches on a RV Park just outside of Corozal. You are welcome to keep your RV there while maybe you catch the boat from Corozal out to San Pedro and check on things. I currently have my 7 acre property for sale, and you can see some photos of it by going to Real Estate for sale in Belize, Vivuim. look under homes for sale, was on the 3rd page a week ago (farm and ranch heading)  Been looking for a caretaker as I'm in the states as I write this. Might I suggest if this is your first time driving, you hook up with someone to at least Tampico. My girl here in Brownsville, Texas is Rocio, and she owns a transmigrante office in Los Indios. She has people leaving almost daily to Belize. If you are bringing the RV back to Canada, then you can go as tourists, but if you plan on leaving the RV in Belize, then you are exporting the vehicle and a whole new set of rules apply. Her english is perfect, as is her spanish, If you wish to call her and chat, she can be reached at 956-592-1259.  stay safe and have a good trip.

Hi,  we seem to be doing the same idea.   We also have 4 young children and a dog.   We've still not chosen a location to live in Belize yet.   We want to be near the ocean and south of Belize if there is any beaches there and not mangroves, but this is not the only area we are interested in. We will be flying in.  Have you chosen a place yet?  Any tips could help.   Hope all is well.   How do your children like it? 

Regards,
Tammy Niles
Canadian

uncle doug wrote:

Good Day, and good luck on your travels south. As the smart woman stated in the last msg. u won't be able to take your RV out to the islands. I just so happen to be putting the finishing touches on a RV Park just outside of Corozal. You are welcome to keep your RV there while maybe you catch the boat from Corozal out to San Pedro and check on things. I currently have my 7 acre property for sale, and you can see some photos of it by going to Real Estate for sale in Belize, Vivuim. look under homes for sale, was on the 3rd page a week ago (farm and ranch heading)  Been looking for a caretaker as I'm in the states as I write this. Might I suggest if this is your first time driving, you hook up with someone to at least Tampico. My girl here in Brownsville, Texas is Rocio, and she owns a transmigrante office in Los Indios. She has people leaving almost daily to Belize. If you are bringing the RV back to Canada, then you can go as tourists, but if you plan on leaving the RV in Belize, then you are exporting the vehicle and a whole new set of rules apply. Her english is perfect, as is her spanish, If you wish to call her and chat, she can be reached at 956-592-1259.  stay safe and have a good trip.