Possible move to KL

Hi All,

My husband has been offered a job in KL and we are looking at the prospect of relocating from Brisbane, we have a nine month old son as well as a dog, but will leave her in Australia if her quality of life would be impacted by coming with us.

1. Our dog is a Koolie (working breed) 17kg and likes to run, swim and chase the frisbee. What would her quality of life be like in KL?? As you can tell from this being number one on the list it's really important we do the right thing by her, as much as it will kill me to leave her behind.

2. My husband would be working in KLCC, near twin towers, where would you recommend living? We would prefer somewhere green and with a swimming pool as our son loves swimming. From what I've been told I'll find driving rather daunting so would prefer a location close to amenities for our son.

3. I have ridden horses for the past 25 years and owned a horse for the past 15 years, where is the best place for me to continue riding?? And how expensive is this??

4. I've been offered a trip up to look around and ensure it will work for us over the next 3 plus years, where would you recommend I ask to see? I'll be travelling with our son but my husband is unable to get time off work from his current job, so the flights will be interesting with an active little one!!

Really appreciate your help with my questions above.

Thanks,
Kristy

1. Dog - low quality of life as dogs have to be on leads in most places. The only area near to KL that allows dogs off the leash is Desa Park City (which has its own park). Everyone with a dog goes there at the weekend.

Finding somewhere to live with a dog is tricky as it's size sounds too big for condos under DBKL (that includes KLCC, Bukit Bintang and Bangsar) and not many condos at all under Selangor Council. There are houses where dogs can be, if the owner is agreeable.

With a young child, I would suggest living in KLCC itself or nearby Ampang and perhaps Bangsar. KLCC has a great park and the best facilities. Condos will have swimming pools. Could also look at Mont Kiara. Would not suggest going further out than MK and DPC. Another option would be a house near the zoo, possibly in Beverly Heights.

A lot depends on your budget for rental.

On your 3rd point, I'd suggest Bukit Kiara Equestrian & Country Resort, which is near the Mont Kiara area. They rent out horses and riding equipment and will stable your own horses (if you have any : )  - though that can't be cheap at all.

The dog-keeping thing can be very tricky in condos or apartments. I would not recommend it at all, and it would not be fair to your pet.

The best bet overall would be a gated community or a house rental, perhaps in the Mont Kiara area (warning: it's expensive, but has all the amenities you'd need.) This is not exactly close to KLCC and would take a good 20-30 mins drive in morning traffic, but it's tolerable. If money is really no object, then there are a few villa-type residences in the embassy area near KLCC  that will have private pools but pretty stratospheric rentals.

Also check out local (i.e. Malaysian) property rental websites, to maximise your options.

A shortlist of areas worth examining for you might include:

a) Mont Kiara
b) Sri Hartamas
c) Bangsar
d) Damansara Heights

Very subjective depends on your budget.
As what been recommended, you can opt for mont kiara, solaris, damansara area.

Horse riding is available in multiple location, the rate is quite acceptable.

Hi Kristy,

Your dog will likely not have a very good life in Kuala Lumpur. And, many condos or house owners will not allow dogs.

You probably will not find driving very daunting. Actually Malaysian drivers surprisingly follow the rules.

There are lots of condominiums very near KLCC. It really depends on your budget. Most of them have nice swimming pools. I used to live in Bangsar, both of my children were born at Gleneagles Hospital on Jalan Ampang, outwards from KLCC. But most of the time we lived in Bangsar. There are a few Malaysian websites that you can check properties on, you can select different areas and see what is available, what facilities are included and how much is the rent. Bangsar, Mont Kiara, Solaris and Damansara are good as recommended above, but do not rule out the condos adjacent to KLCC which range from medium rents to high rents.:

https://newlaunch.iproperty.com.my/https://www.propwall.my/https://www.propertyguru.com.my/