Pollution Reaching Disastrous Proportions

I went for a walk to the beach yesterday and frankly what I saw gave me little hope for humanity so I wasn't surprised to read the below article in the news paper today - Its very disturbing to see reading and yes governments need to make changes but waste bins are provided all over most beach areas yet people still leave trash everywhere..

http://news.kuwaittimes.net/environment … ital-area/

Environmental disasters at Kuwaiti beaches, hospital area

kuwait-beachKUWAIT: Getting a closer look at the seashore in Kuwait on Gulf Road demonstrates how such a piece of heaven was harmed by people and ignored by the authorities. The Kuwait Bay is contaminated with different kinds of pollutants such as plastic bags, litter and sewage that have all turned the nice sea breeze into stinking odors. This report probes what is currently happening to the 325-km long Kuwaiti coastline. Recent studies suggest that Kuwaiti waters occupy a leading place in terms of marine environment pollution. There has been remarkable environmental destruction because of human practices such as building ports, draining sewage, radioactive and factory wastes into the sea, which caused these waters to mix with highly hazardous substances, on top of which comes mercury.

When this extremely dangerous substance exceeds normal levels allowed by the World Health Organization, not only will it pollute the waters in Kuwait, but it will also make it poisonous and unfit for neither human nor animal consumption. It also leads to the death of tons of fish, such as the death of mullets in Kuwait Bay, and over 20 percent of corals and marine algae and seaweeds that take a long time to grow. This led to serious ecological and climate changes that have had a serious impact on human beings. An earlier report prepared by the environment studies unit at the Ministry of Health proved that Kuwaiti shores are polluted and that sewage dumped from the Mishref plant was untreated sewage waters that contained bacteria, fungi, worms and viruses that may pose health problems such as cholera and other diseases.

The report also warned of the dangers of chemicals used by concerned relevant authorities and approved by the Environment Public Authority (EPA) with the excuse of sterilizing sewage dumped from the Mishref plant into the sea. The report stressed that these chemicals were extremely dangerous and that they lead to forming carcinogens and toxic elements in fish that are later consumed by humans.

The Sources of Pollution
When touring the areas of Sulaibiya, Kuwait Towers and the Free Zone beaches, marine pollution was extremely evident in the form of dumping various kinds of solid wastes such as industrial, construction, ship wastes and litter that includes unrecyclable plastic and treated and untreated sewage waters in addition to oil leaking from ships and boats. Local and migrating birds, fish and shrimp are the most vulnerable to pollution. Moreover, contaminated fish and shrimp are a prime cause of various health problems for the people consuming them, doctors claim.

Disastrous Scene
What is more alarming is the fact that many of hospitals in the health zone in Shuwaikh that directly overlook the sea have been dumping their waste (usually contaminated with bacteria and microbes after treating infectious diseases and epidemics) directly into the sea. The shores have turned into dumpsters for litter, dead fish and animals and sewage that have turned blue sea waters into gloomy dark grayish ones. A once fascinating picturesque scene has now turned into a mutilated painting. The most alarming environmental danger are mud precipitations that are rich in bacteria that are harmful for both the environment and human beings.

They also cause bad odors that have spoiled people's enjoyment of the sea. At the seafront, hundreds of people have been dumping non-decomposing substances such as plastic bags and containers, aluminum cans and bottles that not only pose environmental threats but also endanger those enjoying the beaches or swimming. In addition, the amount of wastes help spread and attract insects and rodents. Some boat owners and fishermen are also to blame for irresponsibly getting rid of their motor oil cans, used ropes and nets in the middle of the sea. This makes one wonder why the municipality does not act to stop such messy violations. More fines should be imposed and more control practiced over beaches to stop this pollution, residents say.

Dangerous Phenomenon
This marine pollution has created unprecedented damage to marine life such as ‘red tide' resulting from pouring sewage into the sea amidst high temperatures and humidity that eventually led to a lack of oxygen in the water and as a result, the death of fish. Most recently, large quantities of oysters and crabs were found dead at Al-Khairan beaches. In fact, the number of dying oysters is alarmingly increasing amid calls for more efforts from experts and environmentalists to stop the process and save other oysters still in the sea. In this regard, the Public Authority For Agricultural Affairs and Fish Resources (PAAAFR) and Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR) have taken specimens of both dead and living oysters as well as the waters near the site to study them.

What is happening is an environmental crime against nature by all means because Kuwait had always been blessed by waters that used to be the best diving spots in the Arabian Gulf. So will officials act to end this disaster and will the government and the parliament cooperate to come up with revolutionary decisions to save what is left of this divine gift? It remains to be seen.

It is bad. For years I used to go down to Khiran for a swim where it was nice and clean as I wouldn't dare swim anywhere near the city. However few weeks back the water had a foul odour, there was foam on the shoreline, and there wasn't a single fish to be seen, which is normally not the case. Might be related to that recent oil spill, but in any case I closed the swimming season for this year. Very sad, but no one is pretending that oil doesn't come first, and everything else follows.

Government needs to do something about the big industry but people can do so much. The trash empty cans and bottles cardboard coffee cups etc. lying around is the result of lazy people who can't be bothered to take their own trash and place it into the waste bins provided. It's hard to make government notice when people don't care.

Mcome on people make a difference

Just the other day a (fully grown up) person must have tossed more than a kilo of trash through a car window in a short time I was driving behind him. These things should be taught in the family. Heck, my son knew where to throw trash when he was 2 years old. I guess people need to reach a higher level of environmental awareness, but it would help if government starts enforcing the environmental laws that are already in place, but unfortunately ignored just like many other laws.

Heavy fining does go a long way if done consistently.

Why is everyone so worried?

It's hilarious when you see the locals going round in circles for hours on their jet skis near KFC there and Kuwait towers, or near the Cathedral, spraying their own filthy sewage water on each other :) .. if they are happy, so be it! And oh boy, does that water stink down there..
And Ribosom, Khiran?.. not only the sea water, but go on google maps and check the pictures on there. there are some horrific scenes of the garbage left, again by the locals,  as now they found it and the youth don't want to stay with their families in their private seaside vilas. Don't forget it's all built up from Fahaheel to Saudi Arabia, metre by metre!  When you dare tell them not do dump and think of the people and families that come after them, and themselves as they will go back to have their parties there - do you know what they answer? Wot's ya problem, it's my country, mind yo buzinezz..  if you don't like it leave!

That is the attitude, so well, again no problem, let them reap what they sow.
I tend to pop to Dubai for a swim now and again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6875341,48.3845019,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMsVs0jDQO9X9RT_Hp1npU1zjQozKH2fMnb_IAh!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMsVs0jDQO9X9RT_Hp1npU1zjQozKH2fMnb_IAh%3Dw203-h114-k-no!7i3264!8i1836!5m1!1e1

Those weekend getaways away from the city crowd really had a therapeutic effect on me, and now even that is taken away...so I am sad and worried. Few days back singles are banned to enter Egaila beach as well, which was a half decent place to spend a quiet afternoon with some careful planning. Netflix & Chill it is, I guess... :)))

What has it come to, now we need to travel for a dip in the sea as well...:)

Ribosom wrote:

Those weekend getaways away from the city crowd really had a therapeutic effect on me, and now even that is taken away...so I am sad and worried. Few days back singles are banned to enter Egaila beach as well, which was a half decent place to spend a quiet afternoon with some careful planning. Netflix & Chill it is, I guess... :)))

What has it come to, now we need to travel for a dip in the sea as well...:)

'What is happening is an environmental crime against nature by all means because Kuwait had always been blessed by waters that used to be the best diving spots in the Arabian Gulf. So will officials act to end this disaster and will the government and the parliament cooperate to come up with revolutionary decisions to save what is left of this divine gift? It remains to be seen.'

Not sure what Lalaland the author of that article is living in. What divine gift?  Usually you take care of your divine gifts, not do your best to ruin them not only for the expats that serve you, but for your own countrymen. This is done not only by ruining the very water, but even building every square metre with private villas, with no public space planned, a space, by the sea, landscaped, where people can enjoy a clean quite environment, you know, like the rest of the world maybe? - again not for the expats, but for your own people, because now not everyone has got their private villa by the sea, do they? And in 10 years time, the population will double again, but then, no planning is done for 10 years time, right?

Yes buddy, sadly, you do have to travel now even for a dip in the sea.

Oil is a divine gift I guess, it allows one to travel somewhere where the sea is clean as he wishes. :)

Why would I want to go to a Sharia country anyway!???

@kafiristatoyou welcome to the forum. You'll have to clarify what you are trying to say as it does not seem coherent, or linked to what is being discussed.