My experience in Jordan, Amman

I found my stay in Jordan, Amman really very nice, i liked the weather so much, People are friendly and the whole atmosphere is great.
I like the nature it has, the roads (Going up and going down as it is mountains, Crazy but enjoying)
Prices are expensive :-) , But still having fun.

Tried local meals and Indian meals and so far so good.

Best of luck for you all ,
W

Welcome on board and ahlan wa sahlan fi Al Urdun :cheers:

Thanks for letting us know how you experienced Jordan, and Amman in particular, so far.

Which local dishes have you tried?

Hello Primadonna,
I did try " Mansaf"  twice and liked it but i did not like the sauce :-D, Planning to try it third but will change  the restaurant .
and the one in the Indian restaurant was "Masala" rice with a meat that i do not remember it's cooking name :-D but it was delicious.
W

Try the Knafa!

of course I did, the best :-)

Hi Waleed and thank you for your awesome feedback.

How about accomodation here? did u easily find good lodging? and friendly neighbours? privacy?

how did all that go?

Peace, light and happiness.

Zeid

Hello Zeid,
Nice talking to you, in fact as a nature of my work i am staying in a hotel.
And the hotel is good :-) 
Regards

Hi again, and thank you, nice talking to you as well.

I believe that is unique living in a hotel, but also makes everything much more easier for you.

I wish you all the best, and if you ever need anything hit me up.

Peace, light and happiness.

Zeid

To be honest I don't like mansef at all.
I know how to cook and the way I do is for me the best ( sounds contradictory isn't it? ) Although I do my best to stay away as much as possible.  Most people use jameed, a fermented kind of dried yoghurt which gives the dish a specific taste and smell.

I don't know in which area you're staying and whether you get the chance to meet local people but when you are invited to their homes, you'll get the best dishes.

Till then you can explore these dishes if you want:

Mushakhan  (Palestinian dish from chicken with onions and sumac on a layer of crunchy taboon bread, one of my favourites )
Majanaat: hand pies filled with cheese, meat, mixture of thyme or spinach
Kepseh, a dish from the KSA. Spiced rice with meat or chicken
Stuffed grape leaves or any other vegetables that are stuffed such as zucchini and eggplant
Kibbeh: egg shaped balls made from bulgur and stuffed with meat.
A salad called fattoush: an explosion of tastes in your mouth with crispy bread as a topper.

No need to say that these are my top favourites  :D

Forgot to mention the bedouine dish : zarb.
If you go to camp in the desert Wadi Rum you may get zarb.  A underground bbq from vegetables and chicken.

Wow! Primadonna you really do know your way around traditional dishes.

I just have one question for you and for Waleed, do you guys have a problem with lamb meet?

from my observations I noticed that alot of expats have a problem there... most are more used to Veel, pork or beef but not lamb meet and would not like its taste.

zeydK wrote:

Wow! Primadonna you really do know your way around traditional dishes.

I just have one question for you and for Waleed, do you guys have a problem with lamb meet?

I don't have any problem with lamb meat.
I have troubles how it's mainly prepared : just boiling in water. And how more fat is attached,  the better it seems  :joking:

In my country, lamb would be prepared in many ways which is so delightful.
The only way I like it here is on the grill or from the bbq.

Yes you are right, sometimes the traditional ways of cooking here are not entirely the healthiest.
but may I suggest you sometimes share the recipes of some of the dishes from your own country .. I myself am a fan of cooking and would always love to try new ways and dishes and also learn a few. although I am clearly not super good at it as you seem yo be hehe.

and to counter I can share some of the recipes from Turkey since I am half Turkish.

good enough? 😊😊😊😊

Oh wow!

A man in the kitchen is so. ....

And we have a deal!

I hope there is a good word hidden among these three dots you have put after "a man in the kitchen is so... "

and awesome the deal is on.. I hereby vertually shake hands with you on it.

Lamb meat is very nice for me too , i like it grilled :) 
Looking forward to see you guys but may be after Eid

W

That's great Waleed, I am happy for you.
and looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Zeid.

Hi Waleed glad you like Amman ,about  Mansaf i didn't like it at first time ,but start to like it a lot the second time, I love to go to Jabri or Alia there Mansaf good and prices are reasonable.
Also try to have an early breakfast at Abu Jubarah,go on for a walk in Rainbow St and have Flafal sandwich there's a small Flafal shop I don't know it's name 😆 And then you can have Kanfa as a dessert from Nafisa .

Anyway hope you have fun.
Peace

Hello Al3adnia,

Hope you're doing well. and if I may add, interesting choices for places to go.... that Falafel place you mentioned in Rainbow I believe the name is Al-Quds. in my opinion it is one of the best falafel places in town 😊

Hats off to you.

Have a great day!

Zeid

I'm not a big fan of mansaf either.  Jameed is just a different taste.  Lamb, sheep or goat  aren't my favorite especially when boiled with lots of fat still on them. To each their own I guess.  I ended up gaining quite a bit of weight in Jordan, so obviously there are still many very good things to eat :)

Well, to be honest I am not a big fan of Mansaf either or any type of food involving cooked yoghurt...

The cool thing about the traditional or local cuisine in Jordan in that you can find traces of Turkish, Syrian and Palestinian influences .. dishes like Kebab, Fattoosh, or Musakhan just to name a few.. so it can be a good chance to explore.

and yeah I get it about the boiled fatty lamb meat... I guess I never had a problem with Lamb because we never prepare it like that in my house 😊

zeydK wrote:

Hello Al3adnia,

Hope you're doing well. and if I may add, interesting choices for places to go.... that Falafel place you mentioned in Rainbow I believe the name is Al-Quds. in my opinion it is one of the best falafel places in town 😊

Hats off to you.

Have a great day!

Zeid

Hello Zeid,
I'm doing well thanks.
And you are  right the It's name Al-Quds  Falafel shop is one of the best,beside Al-Mosali Shawarma shop in Madina St.

Have you had the falafel stuffed with the spicy pepper stuff?  It's so good.