USA expats phone info

I got my wife to bring me back from the USA a "magic jack" USB device that lets you make VOIP calls over your internet connection. We've been using it to make and receive "free" calls to our friends and family in the USA - to/from real phones not skype etc. So far it's been great and I recommend it. I think you have to get it in the USA and register it while your there to get the USA phone number (you choose the area code). It costs $39.99 which includes the first year of service of $19.99. The calls themselves are free to make to anywhere in the USA/Canada. Our friends and family in the USA can call us for free if it is a local call for them - we got a 651 area code as our friends/family are mainly in Minnesota, or long-distance charges will apply for them. Anyway, I don't want this to sound like an Ad as I'm just passing on my initial view after using it for a couple of days..and wanted to share as I know there are some other USA expats here.

Tim

I have one to, what a wonderful creation.  Between that and calling to poland on skype my total phone bill is about 50.00us per year.

Hi Tim...this sounds good...just curious as to what the difference is between that and Skype though?

It is a piece of hadrware ( not software like skype ) that you pay 19.99 per year for ( 39.99 initial cost includes first year) in order to get unlimited calls to the U.S. 

Skype you will pay per call if you are calling a phone.

I learned about this through US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan while I was there.... i Love mine... 

Chad

Yes as Chad says and also skype (which is great) is excellent for PC to PC or skypeout for PC to phone (at cost per call) but "magic jack" gives you a real US phone number so it's phone to phone (albeit connected to a pc over the internet). So your friends in the USA can use their phone (mobile or landline) to call your US phone number (for a local call rate for them hopefully) rather than having to use a PC to call. We use skype too for video calls but for a fairly nominal annual fee this gives you a lot of flexibility. So I'd say it's complementary to skype but also for some technophobes who probably would shy away from using skype but are comfortable with phones (parents/grandparents etc) this is ideal as all you do is tell them your new US phone number for them to call and they use their phone to call you as if you were just across town.

Tim