Mobile providers in Malta

Hi there!

One more question before I get to Malta.

I have been searching info about which mobile provider should I chose when I get to Malta next Friday. I have looked at Melita, Go and Vodafone websites.

I wonder which is the mobile phone provider more used in Malta. And in regards to coverage, price, etc, from your personal experience, which one would you recommend?

To be honest, I would be more interested on a deal with an higher data (3G/4G) bandwidth offer than call minutes, as I don't intend to make that may calls over there.

I am thinking on a pay-as-you-go basis, instead of a monthly contract. I have an unlocked mobile phone, and therefore, I will be able to use any sim card.

It would be nice to hear from you guys!

Cheerio ;)
Antonio

The information I saw with regards to which one has better coverage was not very good. Anyway from what I saw Vodafone is supposed to have the better coverage in Malta, at least that is what a few websites says (even with maps showing the coverage by colors -although I think the information was not complete-).

I got my prepaid SIM card in the Vodafone's store in the airport (first thing I did in Malta). Vodafone give you an extra 200 MB (to be used within 30 days) every time you top up 20€. Apart from that you can buy Vodafone's liberty prepaid plans:

"Liberty Day: €1 per bundle-  Data bundle: 250MB - To be used within 24 hours
Liberty Week: €3 per bundle - Data bundle: 250MB - To be used within 7 days
Liberty Month: €20 per bundle - Data bundle: 3GB - To be used within 30 days"

Melita data bundles (specifically the one with 350 MB at €2,50 per week) might be also of your interest:
"50c gives you 50MB that expires at midnight of the same day and €2.50 gives you 350MB that expires after 7 days."

The ones from GO when I checked them I didn't see them competitive at all.

Hi lusco,

Thanks for the heads up. I will probably go for the Melita one as I intend to get the Melitas's home package as soon as I have everything sorted in regards to my long term accommodation.

Hopefully I will be able to get a Melita's simcard from the airport, or I will have to try to find a shop somewhere in Birkirkara, where I will be staying for my 1st five nights.

Thanks again,
Antonio

If you can't get a Melita SIM card from one of the many resellers (the one I went to told me he needed an ID card, which I didn't have at the time) then there's also one of Melita's own shops in Naxxar. Naxxar is close to Birkirkara, maybe two kilometres, and they will simply ask for your name and address and give you a free SIM card.

mantonas wrote:

Hopefully I will be able to get a Melita's simcard from the airport

It seems that there is no Melita's store nor reseller there.
http://www.melita.com/company/contact-us/our-shops/

Here's some relevant to you as you are staying in B'kara for the first five nights.....

Birkirkara – Me Mobile, 187 Valley Road
Birkirkara – New Tech Service Center, Triq Dun Karm

Should you change your mind there is a Vodafone outlet at the airport.

Thanks redmik, very useful indeed!

Cheerio,
Antonio

HAVE YOUR PASSPORT HANDY JUST IN CASE....Some frienfs of mine went for melita 3-4 weeks ago and they were refused as had no id card but for GO it was not a problem at all.....passport and tenancy agreement was all that was required......have fun and good luck - welcome to Malta and all its quirks and foibles.....

Will do toon, thanks ;)

Yes, hopefully by tomorrow I should be in Malta soil. Thanks to you all for all the help and support.

I am sure more queries will arise in the future and as always, I know I can count will you all :)

Would be great to meet some of you guys over there.

Thanks again!
Antonio

mantonas wrote:

Yes, hopefully by tomorrow I should be in Malta soil. Thanks to you all for all the help and support.
I am sure more queries will arise in the future and as always, I know I can count will you all :)
Would be great to meet some of you guys over there.
Thanks again!
Antonio

You lucky, lucky b*!"** :D:D:D

Boa Sorte
Good Luck
Bonne Chance
Buena Suerte
Noroc
Gapla

:):):)

Just to let you know that I am already in Malta, got a Melita's Sim card and my TV/phone/Internet, should be installed by Mon or Tues from Melita as well :)

Thanks again for your helpful replies!

Cheerio,
Antonio

mantonas wrote:

Just to let you know that I am already in Malta, got a Melita's Sim card and my TV/phone/Internet, should be installed by Mon or Tues from Melita as well :)

Thanks again for your helpful replies!

Cheerio,
Antonio

I heard about the hefty deposit required if you're going to use their services without an ID OR eResidence.

Did this apply to you? If so, how much is the deposit?

Hi SMeddie,

Well, unfortunately I will have to pay for the 200€ deposit for not having the eResidence doc yet, plus a 20€ installation fee.
They told me the deposit would be given back to me as soon as I have the residency stuff sorted.
The only docs they have asked me were my ID/passport and a copy of my tenancy agreement.

Hope that helps!

Cheerio,
Antonio

mantonas wrote:

Hi SMeddie,

Well, unfortunately I will have to pay for the 200€ deposit for not having the eResidence doc yet, plus a 20€ installation fee.
They told me the deposit would be given back to me as soon as I have the residency stuff sorted.
The only docs they have asked me were my ID/passport and a copy of my tenancy agreement.

Hope that helps!

Cheerio,
Antonio

Then I should include 220 Euros in my budget...

Thanks

SMeddie wrote:

Then I should include 220 Euros in my budget...
Thanks

I am afraid so...

Mantonas - re your new Melitta contract. You paid a deposit and installation fee. I notice that you don't have a Malta bank account to date. Will you be paying Melitta in cash each month until a bank account is sorted? We will be in in situation as yourself :|

Does Go Tv also require a hefty deposit? I think I am gonna need only Internet not the entire package!

rooikat wrote:

Mantonas - re your new Melitta contract. You paid a deposit and installation fee. I notice that you don't have a Malta bank account to date. Will you be paying Melitta in cash each month until a bank account is sorted? We will be in in situation as yourself :|

Hi rooikat,

That's correct, I haven't got a Maltese bank account as yet. They will be sending me the bill every month and I will have to pay them either via post office, or directly thought their account. Not sure yet what will be the options but maybe going into one of their retail shops, and pay it over there.
They did not ask me for a bank account anyway.

Regards,
Antonio

SMeddie wrote:

Does Go Tv also require a hefty deposit? I think I am gonna need only Internet not the entire package!

Not sure about that SMeddie, but I reckon they should ask for a depo too, it could be less then from MelitaŽs, you never know.

Why don't you send and email to their CS department and ask. I did contact Melita via email before coming to Malta and they have explained me everything I needed in order to apply for their services. The deposit issue was also explained on the email.

To be honest, I am quite happy with them, even tough I was a bit pist off coz I have applied for the internet on a Friday from one of their shops and the guy told me that It would be installed on the following Mon or Tues. When I called them back on Sun just to double check, no request had been entered on the system.

Luckily, I got a nice guy on the phone, he did everything again from scratch, this on Sunday and on Monday at about 1pm, I had all the services up an running. Happy days in the end :D

they say they dont normally but new arrivals may be subject to a credit check and if they have concerns over credit worthyness then they may charge a deposit.

As for deposits - we came here 5 yrs ago - and we got Melita and have stayed with them (superb service in my experience - except tv) ) internet and phone only though - the tv services here are crap.. anyway we paid a deposit i think of 46euros but got that back within 7 days of getting the id cards....

thanks for reply and comments :)

I have received this Email from them after the inquiry....

Dear Sir/Madame,

Melita can offer you 30Mbps internet with unlimited download and practically unlimited telephony at €25 monthly!!

The internet has 30Mbps download speed with 1.5Mbps upload speed. The telephony service offers unlimited fixed line calls to Melita fixed lines. Calls to GO fixed lines are charged €0.03 per minute. 

We would like to inform you that upon installation, the service is bound to a 24 months contract. This means that the service cannot be downgraded or disconnected for the first 24 months of service. There is a one-time €20 installation fee for the WIFI modem.

Should you do not have a Maltese ID card, a €200 deposit is settled upon installation. The deposit is credited into the account once the Maltese ID card is obtained.

Kindly email us back providing us the full address, contact numbers, date of birth, nationality and ID card/ passport number should you wish to fix an appointment for the installation.

Regards,

Magdalena Van Kuilenburg
Customer Service Support

SMeddie wrote:

practically unlimited telephony .....Calls to GO fixed lines are charged €0.03 per minute.

the majority of landlines are GO, and doesn't include mobile calls, so calling it "practically unlimited telephony" is close to an outright lie !

georgeingozo wrote:
SMeddie wrote:

practically unlimited telephony .....Calls to GO fixed lines are charged €0.03 per minute.

the majority of landlines are GO, and doesn't include mobile calls, so calling it "practically unlimited telephony" is close to an outright lie !

Nice spot GnG

''Practically unlimited telephony'' - Yeah,this is rather verge. I will definitely point this out to them!

Waiting for a reply from GO as well - Sent them both an identical email.

Thanks

I have signed up to Melita telephone/internet package (no TV) and I paid €75 deposit plus the connection fee. I was also told it would be refunded as soon as I had my eresidence card.

Does the deposit depend on what services you get?

I ahvent sorted my mobile yet, just deciding who to go with and whether to get my own phone, I do have an unlocked phone but I dont like it much ;)

It seems like the deposit depends on the services, coz they asked me for 200€ for the 3 services (TV, Phone & Internet). It could be that as lower is the package, they reduce the amount of deposit required. Ohh well, lucky you socialwhirl :)

am a little suspicious of both melita and go deposit requirements - there doesnt appear to be any consistency on these as both socialwhirl and mantonas have similar products as some of my friends and they all have had diffferent levels of deposit requested.

But take heart we got our deposits back fairly quickly - within 5-7 days on produuction of what was then the id card.

Think it does depend on what your package is with melita. We have taken internet and 2 x mobile phones (no fixed phone) and our deposit was different to those mentioned.

Another thing to take note of is that GO charge you if you move to another place in Malta/Gozo before the contract is up, around 200€ when we last inquired.
Melita will move you for free! (this was last year so may have changed) but if its your first place its odds on you will move before the two years is up, so worth asking.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

Another thing to take note of is that GO charge you if you move to another place in Malta/Gozo before the contract is up, around 200€ when we last inquired.
Melita will move you for free! (this was last year so may have changed) but if its your first place its odds on you will move before the two years is up, so worth asking.

Terry

Melita still is free our friends have just moved last week and it was done FOC.

and Go is as you said as some friends in Qawra (moved from Xemxija) were quoted this figure to move their services.

toonarmy9752 wrote:
tearnet wrote:

Terry

Melita still is free our friends have just moved last week and it was done FOC.
and Go is as you said as some friends in Qawra (moved from Xemxija) were quoted this figure to move their services.

Thanks both, very useful to know.:)