ID card required to buy and use a prepaid plan?

Hi,

I am not in Malta yet but I expect to move there soon. Once there I would like to buy a prepaid plan since it seems to be the faster solution (I will later get a monthly plan). I know that there is a Vodafone store in the airport but I wonder whether I can buy and use a prepaid card without a Maltese ID card (I have a Spanish ID card and passport) or not.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance

I bought one Vodafone prepaid card in a cellphone-shop (at atime when I had no ID-card) and another one at the Vodafone-shop at the airport - no need of an ID-card or passport.
The sim-card is about 15,- and you need a 10,- top-up card (resp. you can top up also directly at the Vodafone shop.

Did you buy those phone cards recently? I thought that from some years from now it was compulsory in all the EU member states to identify all phone cards owners. Maybe I am wrong and only some countries (like mine -Spain-) have chosen to do that by their own.

the first 6 monts ago, the second 3 months ago.

at least from Vodafone there is nothing to register.
just go inside the shop and buy one of the small envelopes containing the simcard and info-card with PIN/PUK.
Put the card in your phone, dial the number mentioned on the info-card (16203) and with first topping up the sim-card will be activated.

later on you can also register for a montly plan keeping your number.

Ok, great. Thank you for the info