Smart TV advice please.

Hi, I need some personal recommendations please.
Like many of you, I watch internet TV via a tablet or laptop and HDMI connector.
I'm getting a little fed up, especially as Lynn has to ask me to change channels etc. every time.
So, does anyone know of an internet (smart)TV that has a standard browser, e.g. Chrome, IE, Firefox?
Also, if there is such a thing where is the best seller to gain delivery to Gozo?
Thanks.

most smart tvs have a browser but the early models are not as friendly with the remote - the LG range now have a smart remote making things a little easier

i think theyre still a little cumbersome  - but like most things it depends on what it is you wish to view and how often, Plus some services like the i-players from bbc ch4 ch5 and itv cant be viewed without a vpn service even thiugh they are advertised as such.

I am currently trialing a smart DNS service at €3.50 per month - a bit like a vpn but better as it doesnt affect network speed the way a vpn does) just to view bbc iplayer and demand 5 via the tv internet connection - sadly my smart tv has an old non updateable version of flash player in it - blooming typical of LG... shortsighted as ever. but hey where theres a will theres a way......

bottom line advice if something is important to you to be able to do with the smart tv make sure it is demonstrated to you live in the store - take whatever it is you need to do so.

Top Choice in Hamrun are a super retailer - we have bought a lot of stuff from them - cant vouch for them delivering to gozo tho - a quick call will sort that out tho

or there is a new iptv box due into malta this next 7days and it works really well.....i have seen a few different examples of it - i will view this newest version hopefully his week and its an addon but it gives full remote control.

Thanks Toon, I suspected you'd be on top of this stuff. Let me know about the box please, particularly its browser, thanks.:)

PS, I use a free add on to Chrome for VPN called Hola, works a treat. I've had 3 techie failures in the last 2 weeks so having to consider alternative long term options.

the box (its like a smart tv box addon) doesnt work on a browser basis theyre fixed channels and selectable by the box's own remote control just like the tv. all delivered by internet with and ethernet cable and hdmi feed.....no dish or any other cables required. nor is a vpn or dns required.

smart tvs simply have internet connection and smart technology to share files folders video music by connecting either wired or wirelessly to the home network.

i will let you know more details once ive seen this version.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

smart tvs simply have internet connection and smart technology to share files folders video music by connecting either wired or wirelessly to the home network.

And therein lies my difficulty. I want one that I can access FilmOn.com and Eurosport player from, thanks.

redmik wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

And therein lies my difficulty. I want one that I can access FilmOn.com and Eurosport player from, thanks.

They do have a browser Red - so you can connect to filmon and other tv providers such as live.camposat.tv.  whatever you can get on the pc you can get to via the internet functionality on the smartv - sorry didnt explain properly

i can connect on my smart tv to filmon, email twitter facebook and loads of the usual internet stuff.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

i can connect on my smart tv to filmon, email twitter facebook and loads of the usual internet stuff.

Can you tell me what TV yours is please? PM if you prefer, thanks.

55inch LG Smart TV. incl internet and satellite

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Model? ;)

redmik wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

Model? ;)

LG55LM620S LED 3D smart tv

It may be worth you looking at one of the Samsung Smarthub TVs. I don't have personal experience of them but have been doing sone research for buying a new TV for after I move house. Some models have a browser, but they can also be configured as if they are in the UK to get the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player 40D etc.

I'm, not sure if I am allowed to put links on here but there are lots of instructions on how to to do this if you google 'watching UK TV abroad using Samsung smart tv'. 

You would need to pay for a SmartDNS service to add to the internet settings on the TV such as Overplay. This makes the Samsung think you are in the UK for viewing TV catchup services.

Hope this helps.

(Hope you are feeling better since your illness too)

Charley

its very simple to add vpn or DNS (is better) to the net settings of most smart tvs so access to the UK based stuff (with IP geo block tech)is easy - filmon currently doesnt need one neither does camposat....although you will probably find that the iplayers do and some iplayers can even detect a vpn or dns server

Thanks both :) Charley; I have 1 x Samsung Bluray internet enabled DVD player with Smarthub but it's not easy at all to access the internet with it as it only seems to want to use its own apps. That's why I want a TV with a standard internet browser, if such a thing exists and is easy to interact with. I can do all this through various means at the moment but for Lynn it's difficult and I want to make things easy for her. I have a freebie VPN on Chrome called Hola which allows me to watch 'catchup' sites like BBCiPlayer. There are many ways around the difficulties, I just want the simplest!!! And yes, thanks I'm fine now.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

LG55LM620S LED 3D smart tv

VERY nice, just looked at the spec.

When you choose the particular model, check digitalo.de for it - for me it was cheaper and faster to get TV from there than from the local dealer.

i thought that too spiridonv but at the end of the day there was only about 40-50 euros difference and went with a local dealer... warranties and repairs and all that stuff

Found this, this week - thought it may be of interest
a one week free trial - can be tried on laptop to sample channels and content quality
could be worth a go. http://www.ntv.mx/?r=dr

it seems it can be used on a laptop or on an android set top box permanently attached to the tv and running the built in xbmc software.....

one of these  - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-4-2-Dua … RL:US:1123

uses a smart box or android box adds onto the tv via hd

mi, to the internet via ethernet cable and a simple power supply, and thats it

or it can be used with a dedicated Mag250 set top box.

nb Red these things have a proper remote control too lol

Thanks Toon, I'll study that when festivities are over.

Again, thanks Toon I had a look at a few alternatives including the ones you suggested and more or less decided to go with the system below. I will take advantage of the one week trial for the ntv.mx service but a bit put off by the fact it's registered in Mexico. The one I am going for at least has a supplier physically present on Malta. I am waiting for some specifics to be confirmed in writing by them. When they do I'll order and try it.

Channels provided at 1080 dpi.
Its 360 euro including the first 12 months .after that you have to pay € 120 every 6 months if you would like to continue watching.
channels list :

Here is the latest channel listRegards> > > BBC1> BBC 1 NI> BBC2> BBC2 NI> BBC3 / CBBC> BBC4 / CBEEBIES> BBC NEWS> ITV 1> ITV 2> ITV 3> ITV 4> CHANNEL 4> MORE 4> FILM 4> E4> FIVE> FIVE USA> FIVE STAR> WATCH> GOLD> DAVE> COMEDY CENTRAL> TLC> RTE 1> RET 2> TV3> TG4> UTV> PICK TV> FOX> SKY ONE> SKY TWO> SKY LIVING> SKY LIVING IT> SKY ATLANTIC> SKY NEWS> SKY PREMIER> SKY FAMILY> SKY THRILLER> SKY COMEDY> SKY DISNEY> SKY ACTION> SKY SCIFI> SKY SPORTS 1> SKY SPORTS 2> SKY SPORTS 3> SKY SPORTS 4> SKY SPORTS NEWS> SKY F1> RACING UK> AT THE RACES> BT SPORT 1> BT SPORT 2> ESPN> EUROSPORT> EUROSPORT 2> SETANTA SPORTS> PREMIER SPORTS> MOTORS TV> BOX NATION> SCUZZ MUSIC> FLAVA MUSIC> VAULT MUSIC> HEART MUSIC> CAPITAL MUSIC> DISCOVERY> DISCOVERY TURBO> DISCOVERY SCIENCE> ANIMAL PLANET> NAT GEO> NAT GEO WILD> HISTORY CHANNEL> EDEN> CRIME & INVESTIGATION> CARTOON NETWORK> BOOMERANG> DISNEY CHANNEL> DISNEY JUNIOR> MBC 2> MBC 4> MBC ACTION> MBC MAX> 6 ADULT CHANNELS> > >

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p320x320/1450935_605797256124796_1804630683_n.jpg

But in the end don't they all rely on a good internet download and upload speed?

Terry

Have to say the internet speed out here is pretty good. Download more important than upload though the more you get download the less you get upload.
Also if you have the choice always go for a wired connection rather than go WiFi.

yes id agree - download is important mines running at 30mbps and13mbps at the box....

it is downloading even though streaming and forms part of the download limit -regardless if being unlimited - there is still a limit

beware of the HD content - ok for short bursts of 1-2 hrs (maybe special events) - but constant will run your download limit down very quickly - about 4.7gb per hr usage in HD. thus the ISP may throttle back you speed for overusage

id be interested in the local service Red

can you send me the link or details

the catch up service is superb at 25 catch up channels

sports coverage is also excellent

running the trial on the mag250 and the android box so far and both are proving worthy additions here. This is what i like about the ntv service (i dont care where it is based to be honest as theyre all illegal anyway and id rather pay monthly rather than risk an upfront payment - discounts for longer term are ok but until the services are proved to be stable over a period of time then i think the risk is too great initially) I like the benefit of two simultaneous feeds enabling watching two different channels in two separate rooms is an advantage to me.... the epg i love... quality is better than the filmon service.... but then am spoiled by having hd quality output from my current services via dreambox but as they will go in february  - astra have now officially made the announcement of the formal transfer of uktv channels to 2e 2f 2g and 2a etc with a much tighter spot beam to uk

so alternatives are very high on my agenda.

I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. I am also going trial the other you mentioned.

See this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flutisat … 40?fref=ts

does Flutisat - supply services alone without buying a box....

do you have a run down of their channels and have you done the comparison - oooopsssssss I missed the list above  - apologies - must ve been gettign excited at my teams 5-1 win..lol

I watch my games on al jazeera (well so far anyway) so unless Flutisat can offer that as an option i will most likely stay where i am but have asked for more specifics

id be asking questions about the catch up too and also movies on demand - as i have about 200 movies available on demand - and the ones ive watched so far are very very good quality output

redmik wrote:

I'll be sure to let you know how I get on. I am also going trial the other you mentioned.

See this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flutisat … 40?fref=ts

i will look forward to your review.

Just got a new 39" Samsung smart TV, should I just go through a VPN to pick up BBC iPlayer etc?

Samsung is a good choice as they usually have all four i players. and its easy to install smart DNS  - easier and more efficient than a VPN ....

its a good choice for Malta.

done even think about taking melita or go cable tv - i guarantee you  will be sick and tired of their service within 3months

3 months!! You have more patience than me. 3 days more  :) like!

redmik wrote:

3 months!! You have more patience than me. 3 days more  :) like!

i was being kind red  - i agree....

Thanks guys, what about broadband, who would you recommend??

melita far superior to go

I have just had fitted the mag250 with services through flutisat and we are impressed.
All UK channels and just about all sky channels and others as per list previously posted.
Lynn is well chuffed so therefore I am happy too.

the services are very similar - pleased you are happy Red

let me know how you get on with it

i need the footy on al jazeerra as well though

It is possible to browse internet with this box. Al Jazeera online?
Also a tip, if anyone gets this from flutisat, access setup menu and reset video for max output 1280 x 960

the net browser is a little cumbersome though

the media player is good as is the 14 day 25 channels catch up services

the graphical multi channel epg is such a great tool

do you have the movies-on-demand on it too...