Third party routers with GO broadband

Hi everyone. i have Go internet but the router supplied is, well, crap.
i spoke to GO who said any PPPoE router will connect ok. i have bought one but i cannot get it connected. has anyone had a similar experience?
i tried speaking to GO but they will not help as its not their equipment.

thanks in advance

Jason

GO do have a dual band ac router available if you don't already have one, the Technicolor TG789vac V2 which is a little better than the standard rubbish but still not great.
I am wondering since I got mine if GO are practicing 'soft blocking' now as I seem to have a lot more instances of downloads not being available or streams being blocked which would of course also have the same effect on a privately owned Router unless GO security settings are changed. I know this is practiced widely by UK ISP's!

Ray

Hi JasonG,
You don't need to replace the GO router. It should be possible to set it in "modem-only" mode, connect one of the LAN ports to the WAN port of your new router and set the new router "Connection Type" to Automatic.

Hope this helps....

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies but its the technicolour modem that is the problem. I game online and the connection drops. I believe that the technicolour modem must have some kind of internal filter that stops P2P connections after a set amount of time, as from all the forums for the games i play it seems only this brand has the issue.

Thanks again

Jason

JasonG wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies but its the technicolour modem that is the problem. I game online and the connection drops. I believe that the technicolour modem must have some kind of internal filter that stops P2P connections after a set amount of time, as from all the forums for the games i play it seems only this brand has the issue.

Thanks again

Jason

If that's the case, you might look into changing the firmware to DDwrt or openwrt.  That might unlock some doors for you if your router is supported.