Close

Flying Lessons in Cairo

Hi, I've recently moved to Cairo from the UK and will be here for about 6 years, work permitting. I'm a fully qualified flying instructor, which I worked as part time at weekends before coming to Egypt. I am now looking into the possibilities of a similar weekend instructor position at an airport in 6th October. Is there any expats out there that would be interested in gaining their pilots licence whilst in Cairo? If I have a number of interested possible students when I speak to the school, it might assist me in them taking me on. If you want to know what is involved please do not hesitate to message me. Thanks Steve.

Wow that sounds so interesting! As far as i know, flying lessons are crazy expensive but that's in Holland...
can you tell something about the costs of a lesson and how many lessons you need to get a license?
Best regards,
Jantine

Hi Jantine,

I've yet to find out local cost in Cairo, but in the UK it's around £6500 for a PPL (Private Pilots Licence). This is based on a minimum of 45 hours of actual flying instruction and 100 hours of ground studies. The actual number of flying hours required will greatly depend on the skill of the individual, so cost could be higher. In the UK average prices are £145 / hr. There are a couple of actual flight test that have to be completed and 9 technical exams. But it's not too difficult to pick up. I always say that anyone with the hand / eye coordination to drive a car and fly a plane.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Steve

So where can i apply?

As a 10 year lapsed holder of PPL(M) on weight shift microlights I would be very interested in a few lessons rather than going for a full qualification.

Have you made inquiries as to how you could do training. I have never heard of any private flying in Egypt, let alone at a base that up to now has been military. For others who may be looking for the license would you be CAA accredited so any license would be valid in Europe

Good luck to you but I fear that the mountain of security problems may make operations very difficult.

I have found a school in 6th October but an initial call resulted in they were not training at the moment as they had no students. I was wondering if I could find out how much interest there would be in the expat community, there's possibly more disposable income there,  it might spark some interest at the school. As for security issues, I haven't explored this point yet but I expect the same as you. Still nothing ventured. I'm going to be here for 6 years so I'm keen to push this as far as I can. As for EASA compliant, I believe the school is but still need to confirm. The feedback to my request is growing so my next step is to arrange a meet with the school to investigate the legalities. It might take me a while but I'll update this post with info as I get it. Wish me luck.

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm presently collecting a list of interested potential students that I can take to the school to see if they will take me on. It might take a while due to typical security issues, but bare with me. I'll keep everyone posted with updates on this post.

please , i am interested about more  details

Please, keep us updated :)

Hi there,

Just wanted to drop another name in the bowl, I would be very interested. Was looking into getting a license about a year ago in upstate NY and it went for around $11,000, hopefully things can be more cost economical here!

i didnt check the costs for sometime .... but i remember that in the states , there are schools that can offer you PPL for around 8000 $ ..

anyway 11000 $ will not work in Egypt now :D  while 1 $ = 19 EGP  :D :D :D

Update, not much progress yet but now have contact details for the head of AOPA Egypt. Will try and find out if there are any security or other pitfalls after the Eid holidays.

Hello Stephen  - this is something I think my husband would be interested in - helicopter license  too... would like to keep updated on how your progression goes and if it will 'take off' ( pardon the pun...) here, would be great if it does.  - Penelope

Hi Penelope, can't help with helicopters I'm afraid, I only deal with single engine piston fixed wing. But If I hear of any other opportunities in this area, I'll certainly put a post up. Steve

Expatriate health insurance in Cairo

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Cairo

Moving to Cairo

Find tips from professionals about moving to Cairo

Travel insurance in Cairo

Enjoy stress-free travel to Cairo

Flights to Cairo

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Cairo