Non-traditional schools?

Hi,

I'm considering a move to Malta with my wife and soon-to-be 8 year old boy.
The kid is gifted and has had a hard time fitting into normal schools in his home country.
We have been considering other types of schooling for him, including Montessori, Sudbury schools and others, where he can go at his own pace.

We've been looking at schools in Malta over the internet and its a little hard. I've had a hard time finding anything that seems to fit the bill - which is understandable if so, considering the size of the population and thereby limited selection of schools, but I just want to make sure I haven't missed anything. 

Does anyone have experience moving here with children around this age and finding schools for little nerds who are clever and don't fit in too well in normal schools?

Or anyone who has insight into untraditional schooling in Malta?

Or anyone with insights into exceptionally good schools who are good at dealing with the kids needs on a more individual basis?

Just to be clear: I am completely unworried about scholastic performance. It's not an important factor. The kid will do fine in this area on his own. I'm more worried about him being unhappy and stuck in a system that makes him feel wrong all the time, because it's designed for a norm he doesn't fit into.

Have you looked at all the previous posts about schooling?

I've looked at quite a few, but didn't find anything about this - maybe I should look again? Do you have anything specific that comes to mind?

No sorry it's just that schooling has been discussed many times and thought you may find something, good luck.

To be honest; I have no experience of schools in Malta, but have just tried searching on the internet; it appeared that they don't have special schools such as you mentioned, preferring instead to manage this need within mainstream schools.

However, I did come across this document.  It suggests their are indeed special schools, but having skimmed through it, I'm not sure they're what you're looking for.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! that is the best lead and most information I've seen about this so far.

We ended up looking around when visiting, and visited QSI one of the days.

I was very impressed by the mentality and vibe of QSI, even if it's still a "traditional" school in some sense (compared to Sudbudy or Montessori at least).

Hi!

did you find anything meanwhile?
How about QSI price? It's crazy - not affordable to an average people.
But they seem quite good...