Hi I'm new - Moving to Perth

Hi! I am getting things in place to make the move from Vancouver to Perth with my husband and 2 year old.  I'm pretty good at doing my own research but if anyone has some handy links that are hard to find, I would appreciate it!  We're moving because of his work, I'll find a job once I'm there (and daycare!) we don't have family there.
So any little tips or info is appreciated!

Hi BCBijou, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advice you and also share their expat experience with you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Google books about moving to AU, they are very helpful. There are several on ebay and amazon

Hi Quite a few really good sites  - depends what you are most interested in?

For accomodation I find perth now newspaper has a real estate link that has thousands of rental/sale properties .
Also gives you info on entertainment - events etc coming up

Aussimove is great because it gives you break down of all the different suburbs to help you to amke a decision about where to live.(incl visuals)

Perth Living has good overview of different aspects.

Moving to Australia book although not specific to perth v helpful from visas, to references for renting and other 'norms' for rental market, culture etc etc

hope that helps.. if youre a bit more specific perhaps i might know of something else?:

for me moving in a place where you don't have any relatives in or any friends is hard, for you can't seek any help instantly and  no one could help you in times of personal emergencies..
But I think its not really hard in Perth.

Hi Leah

ozzies are a friendly bunch - but yes you are right - without any friends or family it is essential that you get involved locally.

Once you find out where you want to live (aussimove will tell you what kind of neighborhood would best suit your needs and plenty other sites too) also important to make a lsit of the kind of ameneties you want to have near to you for practical things like schools and schop and transport etc -

But for social aspect need to try a few hobbies /interests - get involved within the first month dont hang about! there are thousands upon thousands of social groups in oz from tennis clubs (they have good social element to it ) to drama to book clubs etc .. and that way you ll get to know people locally.

good luck with it.

Hi there...  I've JUST moved to Perth 2 weeks ago from the US.  IF i could do it over, I would have bought any new furniture/beds etc. in the US and had them moved with our household goods as everything is quite dear here. Also, I would buy several transformers for your electrical favorites as they are very expensive and hard to find big wattage ones for coffee makers, toasters, blenders etc.  They work great and save tons of money replacing them.  I got a few of these and I wish I had purchased a few more.  220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/diamond-voltage-converter.htm

Good luck!