Finding a career in Perth

Hi everyone!

I'm not exactly new to Perth as I did part of my studies here a few years back. Anyhow, now I'm back and I'm migrating my family here. I have a Permanent Residency and have no problems working here. I've been here job hunting for the past 4weeks and it's there hasn't been any success, which is pretty depressing and stressful.

I've been on seek on a daily basis and am frequently looking up in the west employment pages on Wednesdays and Saturdays. My past work experiences have provided me with tons of skills with all areas of a business.

I am really committed to providing the best for my family and would love to have a full time role in a career I can see myself in for the next 10years or so.

Anyhow, is it really that difficult to find a job nowadays? and what are good industries to get into for a lasting career?

Cheers.

Hi sur3wyn!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

Hi Armand,

Thanks for your warm welcome :)

Hello sur3wyn,welcome to Expat.com too.

I hope that other members will be able to share ideas with you.:)

Good luck,
Harmonie.

Hi Harmonie,

Thanks for your warm welcome. :)

Hi Sur3wyn,

am in the same shoes as you. I'm trying for job past 4weeks plus but no avail, which is depressing & frustrating as well.

Hi Xeen!

Welcome to the forum :)

It is very frustrating, depressing and super stressful to keep getting rejected and turned down for jobs.. but keep looking.. the newspapers are a good resource to getting jobs.. i'd like to help but unfortunately i can't do much to help :(

what jobs are you looking for? maybe if i come across any i can pass it on to you...

Hi everyone

I know that not getting a job is very much depressing. I've gone through this for almost a year. Actually I did graduation in biology and that doesn't have much scope in Perth. The sector in demand here is the medical and health care field. Then I thought of starting a new career from scratch. But the course fees is so high in the colleges nowadays and spending so much of money was really a difficult task for me. Then I heard about distance courses in health care. And I chose the medical lab technician career as it fascinated me a lot. Now I'm able to complete my course in minimum fees and I can do a part time job of very low scale as well. But after 2 years I would switch to a profession that is so well paying, as a medical lab technician. The salary information is available in the following site.
medicallabtechnicianschool.org/medical-lab-tech-average-salary/

Just wanted to share this information with you all, may be this could help you in any ways if you are thinking to change a career.

Hi everyone,
I know its frustrating for me as well. Have been here for 3 years under skilled migration visa but have not had any luck yet. Not even a call for interview. But I guess you just cant give up like me.

Or if you are not picky, try mining industry as what i'm doing now. Just dont get comfortable with it and keep applying for jobs.

Good Luck!!

Perth can be very fickle. When I first arrived in Perth in the IT industry it took a while for me to get a job. Despite having good experience in the field, I didn't get a lot of call backs because I didn't have anything on my resume in Australia. In the end I ended up taking an entry level position and a big pay cut. That was 10 years ago and I have long since made up for it. Quite a few people that I have known have had the same issues, except where they have turned up in the middle of a boob for there skills.

Perth is really a mining town, everything else is secondary. IT / Management consultancy is fairly common as well, however about 2/3 of the work there, is directly related to mining. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Why  some people walked bare feet to the mall???

Hi guys and thanks for sharing some helpful info. Do you really think if we offered a lower wage for a career that I really want to have is a good option? Or any other tips to increase chances of landing the job?

Suggestions please.

Latte, it is common in Australia and it doesn't only happen in a mall. Lol.

Hi Xeen & Sur3wyn,

I am considering migration to Perth. I am a secondary school teacher and have been 10 years experience. I have also completed part of studies in Perth a few years back.

I have a few queries which I hope you could offer advice :).

Firstly, what are the steps to take in getting a PR. Secondly, is it difficult to get teaching jobs in Perth? Is a Masters a must or a Bachelor's degree sufficient?

I can't comment on the teacher part. As for PR that was pretty easy when I did it. Basically I was in the country for two years on a marriage visa, then applied. So long as you haven't been doing bad things while you are here, it was pretty strait forward. Now things could have changed Since then as that was 8 years ago.

I know that for citizenship they have implemented a test which you have to pass. The test covers various cultural aspects of life in Australia. If however you are just after PR and not citizenship it's a non issue.

Thank you, JazzAV :)