Want to experience something crazy? Try the Kuwaiti desert camping!

Its been a while now that I am teasing Expat.com people with the desert camping plan. I am in Kuwait since almost 3 weeks, and I have not tried (nor tasted) anything local yet. When you go to the malls (obviously the favorite weekend activity here), what you see is McDo, BurgerKing, Paul, Zara, LVMH etc which all are from Europe/US, the only difference is the customers: they're almost all in dishdashas. Even the souk of shark doesn't feel like souk! Really frustrating when you expected Kuwait to be a pleasant change of scenery..

Anyway, my point is, before I go back to Paris, I'd love to actually experience some local stuff and the desert plan seems to be one of the things kuwaiti families usually do during winter.

SO, I thought maybe we should gather a couple of like minded ppl to go desert camping. I have the number of someone that rents camps (includes: place for bbq, tents, toilet, voley ball & football fields) for 100Kd (2days) but I guess we would have to book 2 weeks in advance since its currently high season.
The more we are the better! Everyone's welcomed especially kuwaitis lol.

So far, there are 5 (one of whom kuwaiti) interested but we really need to be more than 5! Lets say we rent 4 Suv's, 5 places per car, which means there are still 3 cars (i.e 15 places) left to fill.

Who's in ?

if they're Kuwaiti, they wouldnt be expats, hence they wouldnt be here, right? :P

if its culture u want, here are a couple of suggestions:

u live in Salmiya (duh), head on over to Marina Mall, from the side opposite the gulf road, u dig? like where Marks & Spencers is, keep M&S on ur left, head straight. when u find the Ahli United Bank u'll find a sign above it: Fareej al Suwailah; thats classic Kuwaiti food.

theres a snazier restaurant a bit farther down the road, i cant recall the name, but the location is first right before the traffic light near scientific center; its a restaurant in a building all on its own.

as for the old souk, what do u expect? souq sharq is not really a souq, its just a name!

ur in Kuwait city, if u get a break during work (45 mins roughly), head on downstairs, u see where that building is with all the travel agents (behind ur building), keep it on ur left and head straight down the road, u'll get to a garden, with the court to ur left, keep goin straight, u'll pass through a giant parking lot, and there will be another garden to your right (careful with that one, at night it hosts some rather shady characters), anyhoo, keep on headin straight and guess what? you will find yourself in Souk Al Mubarakiya, the REAL souk of kuwait. if you go there at night theres an extra added element of culture coz everyone will be busy and bustling.

its a great place to score cheap designer perfume (originals, or testers if u want to save some moolah), and a personal favorite of mine is the Iranian BBQ places, kebab et all.

darn, i should take u around those places, tell u what, i just have this thing i need to prepare for on feb 7, straight after that im scot free, so i'll show u around, sound good?

theres also the shooting range here which is a must visit if ur into live ammo @ break-away prices!

and oh, for that desert thing, count me in :)

PS i have an SUV :P

Sounds nice idea , some ppl invited me before to their camps,i feel wafra so far.

Holdcardsdown, totally "dig" but see my question was not "Do you guys wanna go?" it was more like "I am going anyway, do you wanna join? if you wanna join, you're welcome". And all the interested ppl would first meet up to get to know each other and plan the thing together. From then, you will see whether you really feel like going with the interested ppl or not. Camping can definitely not be planned online.

You have not answered the question tho :)

We got 7 ppl and 2 Suvs so far, if aint mistaken..

A,
Thanks a mil ;)
Ok pour le 7 Février.

Hey guys, It sounds like a plan...I've wanted to do the camping experience for a while but never got anyone round to the idea...guess they're too afraid of loosing the home comforts and Starbucks for a couple of days!  I definately agree that meeting up first is a good idea to "organise" things.  P.S.  I have an SUV! :)

Almost 10 people and 3 SUVs... We need to be WAY more than that!!

Guys, could you please PM me your email addresses so I can keep you up to date? I'll be sending emails soon.

I feel this is gonna be terrific / beyond amazing!

I guess we'll be meeting up soon. Would everyone be available 5 Feb for a first get together?

Thanks for those who've answered

i strongly agree with holdcardsdown,being friendly is most of the time a mistake made by me,later i find that the person is gay or trying something with me.i feel i am still a kid in this country.

Mercantiliste wrote:

Almost 10 people and 3 SUVs... We need to be WAY more than that!!

what you will do in camp ? can you give more details ?

Thats were the first gathering is gonna be useful. Everyone would come up with an idea and we as a group will decide. Example, we could rent buggies but some people would prefer playing voleyball or soccer. You know what I mean? I cant decide for you guys...

Please pm me your email addresses.

Nice idea, we can play volleyball and.. etc. ,
But we need someone to organize it very well.

LoL, what do you mean someone to organise it very well?

Someone who know about camps and how to rent them and ..etc

Okay, either we don't organize it ourselves but still go together and I found this -> nuzhatours.com/sample3_desertcamping.htm

Or we organize the event TOGETHER and this ->  kuwaitagenda.com/en/lifestyle/you-a-your-family/752-camping-in-kuwait-desert-my-preparations.html could help

Hey all, Is the meeting still planned for 5th?

Sorry man, it seems not that much people are enthusiastic with the idea since i didnt get that much feedback.
I might be going with some kuwaiti mates

cheers

man i am so alone in this country.