Kuwait car licence plates / number plates

What do the numbers mean on Kuwaiti plates - anyone know? Can you find the car year or other info from the numbers.. or are they just random?

just random; i'd be interested to know where in the world the numbers mean something or have something to do with the make/model of the car

Ok thanks.. now I can stop looking at them trying to find a pattern :)

In the UK for example the number & letter system shows the area and date of registration.

You can also buy private plates with your own arrangements - some memorable plates cost thousands of KD equivalent.

I wonder if wasta can get you a good number sequence on a Kuwaiti plate :)

well let me put your mind at ease with that last one :P

pay attention when you see a Rolls Royce or Bentley, have a look at their number plate.

its more clout than wasta tho ;)

as far as i know,the first number of the plate number in kuwait distinguishes the governorate.
by the way in the philippines the plate numbers which have 3 letters and 3 numbers on it also tells the area and when to have it renewed for registrations.each region has its corresponding letters,like in region 1 first letter is always A.and for the 3 numbers,it corresponds to the date of registrations.For example ABC-123,the vehicle is registered in region 1,the last digit 3 correspond to month of March,middle digit corresponds to weekly deadline herein 2 means first week of the month (same if middle digit is 1 and 3.if the middle digit is 4 or 5 or 6,it corresponds to 2nd week of the month,and 7 or 8 corresponds to 3rd week and 9 or 0 4th/5th week!!:):):)

But there are only 6 governates, right? That would mean there are only 6 possible numbers that can be used as the 1st number. Don't think that's right?

i appreciate what you are trying to do but you have to understand one key thing; what is referred to as "governates" is really no more than areas. an e.g. from my locality - alexandria is a governate, cairo is a governate, all license plates in alex have 2 letters and 3 numbers (letter starts with س for اسكندرية which is alex in arabic) and cairo its 3 letters and 4 numbers.

in cairo you have different areas such as nasr city, heliopolis, zamalek etc.

kuwait is a country with governates that are treated like areas.

but it is an interesting observation. factor in the fact that not all licence plates are "new" there are still quite a few old ones; the new ones are the long licence plates.