Your best business development ideas in Mauritius

Hi everyone,

As a foreign entrepreneur, launching a business in Mauritius is a fantastic project and an exciting challenge. Some ideas are likely to succeed. Some others are promising but may not work as well as intended.

In your opinion, what kind of business or industry is likely to succeed in Mauritius? What kind of industry or service currently unavailable or underdeveloped in the country would meet local needs?

On the other hand, what are the most common business types foreign entrepreneurs would be eager to launch in the country but with very little chance of success?

Thank you for your insights.
Priscilla

I strongly believe that a business with a robust marketing strategy is more likely to succeed in any business environment. The strategy must be wisely implemented and reviewed to meet and exceed customers expectations.

Well, I have reached Mauritius few days back and to be true I haven't really check the market yet.

But the first thing coming in my mind is E-commerce. may be I did not get the right information but seems like it's not so common. I lived in India for one year and half and I was amazed but this service.
This is what i can say for now about this topic. Waiting for others opinions.

Cheers.

In general I would say that most branches of business are already represented in mauritius and it is tricky to try to come up with something entirely new and hitherto unknown that would make an immediate impact on the market (provided it is accepted by the local population). But there is still a huge potential for introducing technical improvements and offering better and more efficient services in the sectors already present. Very often the services and products offered by local companies and craftsmen are only basic and not state of the art. Their business attitude is often extremely relaxed. A reliable, well organized, professional electrician, gardener, plummer, building contractor, caterer or tourist accommodation agent with contacts abroad (just to name a few) could have a lot of success in this country. However: never ever  start a business where you are entirely dependent on local employees......

Hi Everyone

What always surprises me in many parts of Mauritius, is the lack of proper shopping malls. It seems a good opportunity for property development. I don't know the reason for this as compared to South Africa Mauritius has very few.

Regards
Rocco

I totally agree. More wasted spaces in shopping malls than shops. Food courts tend to dominate shopping locations.

Mauritius is very abundant with Mangoes ,  however I don't see any industry in making a flour full of vitamins from the big stones that are wasted.

Hi there,

I'm actually interested in coming to settle there in 2 years or so and I was already toying with an idea of opening a Tourist Agency, mainly targeting people especially from South Africa (as I also believe they're the largest clients visiting Mauritius).

If you have any leads there, you may please share your thoughts

Thanks and regards,

From what I hear: uber! Of course, reliable 4G and location service is needed first...

SpeedbirdYankee wrote:

From what I hear: uber! Of course, reliable 4G and location service is needed first...

Yeah right,

On a 720 sq mile island with ~ 1.3M people, I would like to see the Business Plan/strategy.
As if the supply  for taxis 24/7 can equate the demand  and Corpo America wants to dip into the meagre salary of the local taxi drivers  :(

Hi

I am a Marketing Consultant for the tourism sector. Your business concept is good but it's a tough market out here. Fierce competition but product innovation and diversity can be successful if well structured and marketed. Let me know nearer the time and I will be willing to help you with a market research for your feasibility study,

Good luck

Best regards
Shaffick

Hi there,

Thanks for coming back to me. If there's any leads your able to forward me so long, **

Best.
Bethuel

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Share personal contact infos in private only. ( Use the private message system, click on the avatar of the member, and click on the 'Send Message' button )

tourism is good.

Hi...Though the topic is  old subject is always fresh.

I am engineering consultant and what I need is infrastructure for office and internet is very important part of it. If this works Mauritius is ideal location for my hightech profession.