Getting married and retiring in Jordan.

I am going to marry a Jordanian and retire from my job with the US Army (I am now in Kuwait).  I have visited him and his family several times in the past year and they seem to be very sincere, friendly, loving, and descent people.  I understand that the marriage will not be recognized in the USA unless I register it.  Does anyone know how this works if something were to happen to me, would everything I've worked for all my life remain as I have it now with my family or, would my new Jordanian husband reap all of the benefits?

If u get married,you have to get married in the US Embassy in Amman,then if u want to move to usa,u have to sponsor his Visa from the states"INS Office" would take from 3 - 6 months to get him the Visa then  he has to apply for his Green Card in USA,He should not Apply for Green Card in Amman !! would take long time "
-If something Happened to u and he is not in USA or Legal resident in USA ,He gets nothing.
-u have to go to the Embassy before u get married,,
Good Luck '
Chris

Thank you all so much for the helpful information.  I plan on being in Amman at least 10 days before the wedding and I have an appointment with the Embassy there.  I have spoken with them on the phone and believe that I have all the paperwork that is needed.  I'm looking forward to my new life in Jordan.

cool,have fun & Invite me to ur wedding:P