Getting married in Jordan

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Jordan or who are about to get married in Jordan to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Jordan? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Jordan)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

I am an American who specifically came here to marry a Jordanian man.  When I got here it only took a couple of days before his family called the Imam.  We had our "ceremony" in the front room with his father and a translator as a witness.  This allowed us to live together as we were married in the sight of God.  The actual court process was a bit longer.  We had to go to the court first to ask what was needed to marry a foreigner.  They then sent us to the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Amman to get the permission.  All of my paperwork had to be translated (birth certificate, divorce decree, etc).  He had to get a letter stipulating that he was not married and free to marry as well.  The courts really guide you on it.  After all the paperwork is completed then you have the official "ceremony" which is the signing of the contract between the Husband and Wife.  This states how much money or gold you were given and in the case of divorce how much you will get (remember that is contingent upon who asks for it and under what circumstances). After the marriage contract is complete then you have to go back and get it all registered at the courts.  It isn't a very hard process.  Just time consuming but as long as someone speaks Arabic.. you are gold!

Hi a.s.bataineh!

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

Armand

Can you tell me if passport,  birth certificate,  and letter saying you aren't married is all you need
And do you need to get them authenticated before you get to Jordan 

Thanks for your help

Looks like am getting help.  Because I really need this information. Thank you.