New members of the Mexico forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2016

Hi and thank you for the introduction.  My family and I are researching a BIG lifestyle change by way of moving to Mexico, specifically to either West Coast or to the Mexican Riviera location.  We currently live and work in LA.  Cost of living and lifestyle in California have us looking at options.  We are big fans of Mexico as we travel to the country many times yearly.  Lots of time in Riviera, and of course Baja.  That being said, we also need to continue to have income.  We are considering operating a small business in Mexico or perhaps a job that makes sense as well. We have 2 small children.  We need to be sure to find bi-lingual school for them at first.   Hoping for any suggestions on these topics, like perhaps a link offering business for sale in Mexico, or Mexican job boards, etc.  Hoping to make the move within 1 yr.

Thank you in advance
DR

Hello!  I'm Bill.  Currently living in Denver, CO and seriously considering a move to Mexico in the next couple of years.  I would like to connect with folks in my situation, and also with those already living in Mexico, to get a realistic feel for all that is involved with making such a move.

Thanks so much!

Bill

Hello!

My name is Marilyn. I studied abroad in Puebla in college and fell in love with the country and culture then (in '97!). One of my favorite places I visited was Playa del Carmen (and I've heard it's changed alot since then), and since then I've dreamt of living in the Mexican Caribbean.
I celebrated my 40th birthday on Isla Mujeres last month and I am so inspired to return to that part of Mexico and find a way to live there for as long as possible.

I am in Seattle until my lease ends at the end of June.
Then I plan to take the CELTA (ESL) course at Playa del Carmen and look for work.

My Spanish is okay, but not what it used to be...and I want to be fluent!

I hope to teach english, as well as yoga and dance (I taught salsa and merengue for 10 years).

I'd love to know what to do for Medical Insurance, and having a local cell phone, as well as working with (or without) a work Visa.

If anyone has done the CELTA program, I'd love to know your experience.

I'm equally scared and excited to take this leap, and would love any words of wisdom and support to ExPats who are making this happen!

I'm ready to leave the cold and city life for a laid back, Caribbean one!

M

As an expat I am trying to discover how to stay healthy with the best drinking water.  Bottled water is an unknown.  Purification of well water with a filtration system is what people have recommended.  However, nobody has said what the best of those systems are or where to get them.

the vast majority of people in mexico use bottled water expat or otherwise and seem to survive ok.

I am a newbie here, and am exploring the possibilities of relocating to Mexico, perhaps to Sonora, in the area of San Carlos, or Hermosillo.

I am currently living on The Gulf Coast of Florida and moved here from Panamá in 2010.  It seems that living expat in Mexico might be more challenging than it was in Panamá, as I am trying to get definitive information about things like Seguro Popular, and retirement income taxation. and the possibility of importing my Medicare Part D meds.

BTW, my name is Dale, and I probably should have used that as my "handle".

Anyway,

Cheers

Depending on what what Part D. meds you are taking, it might be cheaper to buy them in Mexico.  Many cost less than the Part D. Copay.  If you also have a residence in the US and cross the border by land, you're not likely to have problems with Mexican Customs.  Of course, like everything else in Mexico related to government, it may vary from crossing point to crossing point.  I've never had a problem at Reynosa.  Technically, meds have to be labeled with your name and in a quantity a tourist might need.  3 month mail order packages unopened have never been challenged.

Seguro Popular varies from place to place.  Everything was modern and high quality in Zacatecas, Zacatecas, a state capital.  But here in Coatepec, Veracruz, maybe 60,000 people, the health center/hospital looks old and rundown.  The state capital, Xalapa is 30 minutes away and should be much better.  I had an emergency that I thought was heard or stroke related and didn't wan't to was hours on the emergency room so I went to the best private hospital in Veracruz state.  I waited 10 minutes and had a battery of tests done.  It was a weird pneumonia that had all my systems out of whack.  Hospitalized for 6 days, the bill came to a little over $4,000 USD.  I have a Medicare Supplement Plan that should cover 80% after a $250 USD deductible.

I see estimates of anywhere from 10% to 25% of meds in Mexico are counterfeit.   http://www.proud-to-be.org/eng/statistics

Hello I am a new member and spent the last year living in a tiny fishing village called Chelem on the Emerald Coast of the Yucatan. I have done a ton of research and have lots of info about moving to Mexico and the way things 'work' in the Yucatan - feel free to ask me anything.

katzgar wrote:

I see estimates of anywhere from 10% to 25% of meds in Mexico are counterfeit.   http://www.proud-to-be.org/eng/statistics

I haven't had any problem with brand names, same companies as the US, or generics, some of the same companies that produce generics in the US.  My docs and lab tests confirm they are doing their jobs.

Cool beans

Thanx for the response!  When I lived in Panamá Aerocasillos used to air ship my mail from  my pseudo address in Miami, andthe  meds went through no sweat, but I wondered with the drug problems if that would be true in Mexico (even the IRS thought I was living in Florida back then).  I actually just sent a message to a similar mail-forwarder to ask about that service in Mexico.  I always get a 90 day supply, but have two meds with high copays and I'd be curious what genuine generic replacements might cost, and of course I pay $110 per month for part D.

I have an amigo who is, at this time, in hospital Clínica Catorce (Seguro Popular) in Hermosillo, Sonora, and it seems that his care has been extraordinary.  The reason I mention that is that I am 72, and he tells me that at my age, I would get special care and not need to wait in lines.  I have seen also, that Mexico has many discounts for jubilados, a bit like Panamá has.

Mexico can best be navigated by relationships so who you know and trust will matter alot.

I'm not sure where to start.  In the the border towns in the US, you can find mail forwarders easily enough.  Google private mailboxes or mail forwarders for a border town convenient to you.  I am in the states frequently enough that I see my docs there on a regular basis and pick up my meds then.  I've had times when I couldn't get to the border and had my mailbox service send the meds to me by Estafeta, a reliable paqueteria service.  Not cheap.  Bus fare and food roundtrip is usually less and I don't mind the travel but that means a quick turn, arrive, pick up the mail and go right back to the bus station.  Cab fare is high but still less than renting a care for one day.

$110 for Part D sounds high.  The Walmart plan is cheap and the Humana Mail Order service coordinates well for them.  There are 3 non prefereed brand name meds I take, each of which cost less in Mexico than the copay on Part D.  The generics I take are all preferred and have 0 copay even if the deductible isn't met.  I guess it depends on which meds you take.

I'm 74 and in Zacatecas, there was one doc that handled senior citizens first.  Trouble was he showed a half hour after opening.  Meanwhile, you had to get there an hour before start to get a number to go in and get a number to see you doc.  That meant an hour and a half wait.  Otherwise,  the doc was very good and spent the time you needed.  If labs were ordered you had to get in line to get a chit for the lab, maybe 10 min, then get on line to have blood drawn.  Results were available that afternoon after 4 PM if you came for the first session at 8 AM.  I sure would like to find out what your friend meant by no long waits.  I went to the emergency room because of a possible stroke.  The waiting room was packed.  People were camped out on the floor.  After signing in at the reception desk with a written description of my symptoms, I had to go back up and assert myself some but it still took another half hour before the doc saw me.  The doc himself was excellent and thorough.  When I saw my cardiologist, he was satisfied with the treatment but ordered a head CT just to be sure.

When it comes to life and death, I'd still rather do it in English.  My supplement has a foreign travel provision but I'm not sure how often and to what extent a "tourist" can claim the quick onset of a set of symptoms that require immediate treatment.  The claim for the $4,000 USD hospitalization is still under review.

Mexico does have discounts for jubilados.  Intercity bus fare within Mexico is 50% off.  Local transit varies from half off, mas o menos, to free.  Just show your INAPAM (senior citizen government agency) card and the Mexico City Subway is free.  Entrance to museums is usually free or reduced with the INAPAM card and some pharmacies and restaurants give a 10% discount on meds ans nutritional supplements.  Whatever the business, it never hurts to ask.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.

Thanx again for sharing that.

Even though my "target" in Sonora is about only 6 bus hours from Phoenix I am considering to move full-time to Mexico, and most-likely buy a home, enroll in Seguro Popular, and I would probably not return to the U.S. except in case of a medical catastrophe.

You must consider that what I shared regarding the "jubilados waiting in line" is from hearsay opinion from my amigo, who is actually a 30 YO French expat, but is being treated by Seguro Popular, although he has lived most of his life in Mexico, so it might qualify as "if it sounds too good to be true", jaja.

That comment about Part D is that is the fee regulated by Medicare.  In fact I had to speak with them yesterday because of the announcement of a minuscule increase in our social security benefits resulted in no bottom-line increase my benefit for me in the coming year.  The reason was that Part-D costs will increase by the same amount.  Bummer, no?

I was stunned that after I posed the question on-line, a S.S. rep was ringing my phone, not a minute later.

I was curious when you wrote that a Medicare supplement would pay for that hospitalization until I realized that it was a medical emergency while "traveling' and that I guess you are maybe not you are maybe a not yet a legal resident.

I have much more to learn, like what would be my Mexican tax liabilities be on my retirement income, when I become a legal resident?

Many expats have homes on both sides of the border and though they qualify as residentes temporales o permanentes, they are still residents of the US.

As I understand it pension/annuity/Social Security incomenis not taxed in Mexico.  IRA and other investment income is.  Best to find a lawyer up to date on Mexican tax law if you have potentially taxable income.

The Part D details are cryptic.  Expensive meds won't be any cheaper.  So far, I don't expect to pay more for what I buy in Mexico unless the peso strengthens a lot.  Copays for 3 months worth of preferred generics may not change.

Grief makes a solid Point part of taking the fear out of being an expat is to make sure you know where you are going to go back up north if you find out being an expat isnt for you

That is on my endless list! ;)

In Panamá it was a legal process, which cost me a lot of money to become a legal resident.

I was an expat, of sorts, for 9 years, first in a U.S. Territory (which doesn't really count), and then in República de Panamá , but I expect that Mexico is probably a whole new ball game ;)

It's not unheard of for people to duck across the border every 90 days to renew their tourist card

Residency in Mexico is very inexpensive. They will look at your financial situation to decide whether to grant you Permanent or Temporary Resident status. And of course, residency is not the same as citizenship. You will remain a US citizen even if you are a Permanent Resident of Mexico.

RockabillyCam wrote:

Residency in Mexico is very inexpensive. They will look at your financial situation to decide whether to grant you Permanent or Temporary Resident status. And of course, residency is not the same as citizenship. You will remain a US citizen even if you are a Permanent Resident of Mexico.

You can enjoy Mexico without US residency or Mexico tax consequences by using 180 day Tourist Visas
and going to a land border every 180 days, turning in the old one and applying for another one right there.  With a tourist visa you:
can't import a whole household of goods with out duties.
can't get Inapam discounts.
can't sign up for Seguro Popular
but you can buy coverage from IMSS for about $300 a year, I think.

But to me, expats don't need tourist cards or visas ;)

In the strict sense, I agree about expat.  But in Mexico there are quite a few who have been here for years and go up to the border every 180 days for a new tourist card.

That  word "tourist" is significant, but "nothing wrong with that", no? ;)

Only if it's an all inclusive tourist

This is an article I read a few weeks ago giving some detail about expats qualifying for Seguro Popular.  I am still trying to recover another one that listed an income scale.  If I recall there were 10 levels, but the even top one suggested that the annual cost would only be about $1,000U.S.

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2014/07/ … alth-care/

How ironic to see what I was searching for was right here, although that may have been where I read it ;)

"gudgrief 29 August 2012 12:13:46 Report #3
   685 posts Coatepec
Thanks for the reply.  Below is the current list of annual premiums for the 10 deciles.  My main curiosity is the income maximums for each of the deciles.

Cuotas vigentes
Decil de ingreso
Cuota anual familiar (en pesos)
I    0.00
II   0.00
III  0.00
IV   0.00
V    2,074.97
VI   2,833.56
VII  3,647.93
VIII 5,650.38
IX   7,518.97
X    11,378.86

Even at the top tier, it's less than $1000/yr right now.  And that's a bargain for for routine medical coverage.  You made a good point about being honest, lately dealing with Mexican government agencies has been simple and straightforward as long as I keep things simple and straightforward. I suppose a current bank statement where my SS and annuity checks are deposited would do.  There are times that coming up with the $160 to maybe $300-400 in cash would be inconvenient.  I also have a place in TX and get my serious medical care there so I'm looking to Seguro Popular for emergency care and routine stuff that doesn't call for a trip to the US."

Actually:

11,378.86 MXN = 551.6376 USD, today

let's say your income is around $20,000 a year.  Seguro Popular is free.  Double that and it's still free.  You have to be pretty well healed to have to pay for Seguro Popular.  As it goes with many other aspects of dealing with the Mexican government, you can't really know till you apply.  You don't have to be too accurate  on the application.  Unlike other red tape, you get approved right there and then.

knippd wrote:

Actually:

11,378.86 MXN = 551.6376 USD, today

I don't remember the income amounts, if I ever knew them.  If you can afford to pay $500+/year, you income would probably allow you to buy private insurance.

Unless someone has asked in person recently, it may have to wait till you go in person.

I just did a quick Google.  Income ranges are stated a deciles of income for the whole population.  Deciles I and II include the incomes of the lowest 20% of the population.  There is no way I fall into the lowest 20% but I still don't pay anything.

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board  :)

Please note that this thread is only dedicated to the introduction of new members.

Feel free to start a new topic on the Mexico forum if you are looking for information. This way, it will be easier to browse through the forum and search for information.

Thank you in advance,
Bhavna

When a question is asked, it's hard to remember this is the New Members Topic.
The natural tendency is to respond.

gudgrief wrote:
RockabillyCam wrote:

You can enjoy Mexico without US residency or Mexico tax consequences by using 180 day Tourist Visas
and going to a land border every 180 days, turning in the old one and applying for another one right there.  With a tourist visa you:

IMSS will only allow legal residents to sign up the same as the Seguro Popular. Tourists can´t apply.

alleycat1 wrote:
gudgrief wrote:
RockabillyCam wrote:

IMSS will only allow legal residents to sign up the same as the Seguro Popular. Tourists can´t apply.

True, you must be a Residente Temporal or Permante.  Naturalized Citizens too, of course.

Hi,
I am Mary and will be going to Isla Mujeres next week for a two month stay.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=640197

Thanks!

Closed