Where to live in Mexico

It appears my partner and I might need to move to Mexico. He is Mexican, I am American. I can do my work from anywhere. He will need to work (is hairdresser here in Miami Beach -- high end -- perfect English skills).

I am wondering what are best places to live for us? I prefer to be near large airport, and I do like the beach -- but also want to be in a very open minded place where we can find gay or gay-friendly people, and plenty of activities. Number one of course is safety. We want to be in a safe place. Initially, I have come up with Cancun -- but also San Miguel.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Thank you so much.

Hi flusaguy!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Welcome to Mexico. As for finding a rental, I would suggest staying at some place like Rocky point, in the momentous area, for a month while you look around. They are online and there is parking across the street. You can do online reservation through Rocky Point Rentals Online. As you like Las Palmas resort is located along Sandy Beach in Puerto Penasco, Mexico.

HI - I would definitely advise you to travel around, check out different areas, rent, etc before deciding - There is an area that I really like that is very gay friendly: MIchoacan - I am very fond of Patzcuaro, and there a lot of actitivies, and many people like Morelia too - with a car you can access both, and it is a few hours drive to the beach - It is not too far from the Guadalajara airport, and the Mexico City airport is only a little further (four or five hours) - Certainly worth a visit, in any case! MIchoacan is beautiful - Lake Chapala is quite gay friendly too but for my money, there are fewer interesting cultural activities, especially those that connect with Mexican life - it is much more gringoized, as are San Miguel and Cancun of course (you can probably do or be anything in Cancun, I imagine) - Well, I just love Patzcuaro and it is really a big gay scene, you will feel very comfortable there, and welcome - good luck, Jean

Playa del Carmen   is perfect for you  close to cancun and very cosmopolitan liberal area

Merida may also be a good choice... enough expats and only 4 hrs from cancun....Excellent quality of life!

I am of course biased, but I think San Miguel de Allende is a great location. There is a small but very social gay community here. And of course, a very sophisticated group of permanent expats that make San Miguel home. While not a beach town, what San Miguel does clearly have going for it is that culture abounds. Never a dull moment, and there is an extremely active social calendar. There are easily forty or more art galleries in town. The restaurants are fantastic. The climate is among the best, with warm, dry temperatures year round. Real estate here is among the most beautiful in the world, and your dollar can buy you so much more house than in North America. I would definitely recommend that you take a trip there to explore, and I'm sure like so many others, you will fall in love with San Miguel.

Living In San Miguel

anywhere in the Yucatan is very safe--culturally, Merida is a hotspot. The beaches on the Mayan Riviera are getting a little pricey...we just went to Celestun and it is not as developed, and lovely. We are in between Cancun and Playa del Carmen and love that we can be in either city in 20 minutes, but live in a little community. Good luck to you!
Janet